Rules on measured dogs needs changed!!!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitearl

Re: Rules on measured dogs needs changed!!!!!!

Post by rabbitearl »

i agree BB, but what if I had two mates and one was 14 inch and the other was 15 1/2 and the small one was not as good as the big one but I got a card for the small one and only took the big one to trials,I see were the card is not so good.I think all formates need to step in and really work on this.Thats one reason I like 2 couple packs trials don t care if hes 91 inch show me what the rabbit done.

Full Throttle

Post by Full Throttle »

Over the years I've had 13 inch Dogs,15 inch dogs and dogs over 15. It's the genetic traits and running ability of the dog itself that shows up in the field.. I've had 13 inch dogs run faster and hold onto the rabbit longer than the 15 inch dogs they were down with. Bigger or smaller does not make a difference in the way a dog hunts,runs a track or Works a check. If you have been working dogs as long as I have you will have seen this and Agree. In my opinion! If a dog is full-blooded and has the paperwork to show it a inch doesn't matter to me. Like I said my opinion. I don't care how big my dog is or how big your dog is, if you beat me you beat me.you had the better dog that day, And you won't hear any complaints from me. Look at PKC. There's a lot of big hounds that run that format, And you see 13 1/2 and 14 inch dogs winning Those trials. I think we should all agree to do Away with the measuring,and Let the dogs do the talking. Again just my opinion.. :)

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

rabbitearl, I would assume it's up to the people running the trial to verify the hound there is the same hound that's listed on the paperwork. They must have something in place otherwise people could just bring a better dog period in place of the one they have registered regardless of size.

Full Throttle, I completely agree with what you are saying in regards to getting beat.......an inch one way or the other makes no difference to me either. Although if you had 2 dogs with the exact same ability I would assume the taller dog would have a slight speed advantage simply because it has a longer stride.

But if they have breed standards that apply to trialing then they need to abide by them. And imo do anything they can to accommodate folks while still enforcing the rule. Again, all this coming from me, a guy who never trials!! :lol:
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

warddog

Post by warddog »

Bunnyblaster wrote:rabbitearl, I would assume it's up to the people running the trial to verify the hound there is the same hound that's listed on the paperwork. They must have something in place otherwise people could just bring a better dog period in place of the one they have registered regardless of size.

Full Throttle, I completely agree with what you are saying in regards to getting beat.......an inch one way or the other makes no difference to me either. Although if you had 2 dogs with the exact same ability I would assume the taller dog would have a slight speed advantage simply because it has a longer stride.

But if they have breed standards that apply to trialing then they need to abide by them. And imo do anything they can to accommodate folks while still enforcing the rule. Again, all this coming from me, a guy who never trials!! :lol:
I guess Bunny and I, being folks with no dog in this fight must observe the issue from a third unbiased perspective which is how measuring should be "IF" a registry is going to have a size standard for the breed(s) they register. This issue isn't even about what the dogs can do in the field on on a bench BUT rather what the registry is guaranteing when they charge and issue the registration certificate. Folks get all tired up in what the various dogs can do in the filed BUT my concern is the word of the law, rule or regulation that the dogs within a specific registry shall be held to. If AKC states "THEIR" registry beagle standard is no more than 15" then in my eyes anything over that may very well be a beagle and a real nice one at that BUT AKC should not recognize it as it obviously doesn't even meet it's mandated breed standard. These standards have been in existance for many, many years and why they are there only one can speculate unless you were there when the rules were stipulated but I suppose the framers of them had a reason for it or they wouldn't be there. The FACTS are that in order to participate in an AKC sanctioned event your dog must meet it's standards and if not it is disqualified and should NEVER win any points for any degree. Why would one then continue to participate in any licenesed sanctioned event knowing they could never win any championship points?

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

I don't see a problem with the rules.
I see a problem with the guys measuring the hounds.

If you go to the doctor for a check-up and get measured do you bend your legs to measure smaller?
No, that's not your "true" measurement.

So why would people measure dogs with their front legs bent or crouched down?
Or on the flip side....A dog that stands overly proud and stretches upright.
This is where the inconsistency in size comes from.

They need to record the size of the hound once it stands natural, alert, and its legs are straight and natural.
Then you wont have the same hound measure 13 1/4 - 15 1/4 in the same day.

Now we've got guys running a hound 15 1/2.
Eventualy he measures out and the owner gets mad at the guy that measured most accurately.
:bash:

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

I find the rules very vague when it comes to measuring a hound. It says in a natural stance. If a hound is touched or handled by a person, is this hound in a natural position. I say no. It has been altered in someway or another. A hound should be lead up to the breed inspector, a stand placed over its shoulders and the bar dropped. If the hound does not stand in a natural position then it is unable to be measured and disqualified. If it stands proud on it's own or lowers somewhat at the hocks then that is natural.
Right or wrong, that's just the way I see it.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

powerstroke85

Post by powerstroke85 »

Breed varieties

The American Kennel Club recognizes two separate varieties of Beagle: the 13-inch for hounds less than 13 inches (33 cm), and the 15-inch for those between 13 and 15 inches (33 and 38 cm). The Canadian Kennel Club recognizes a single type, with a height not exceeding 15 inches (38 cm). The Kennel Club (UK) and FCI affiliated clubs recognize a single type, with a height of between 13 and 16 inches (33 and 41 cm).

English and American varieties are sometimes mentioned. However, there is no official recognition from any Kennel Club for this distinction. Beagles fitting the American Kennel Club standard – which disallows animals over 15 inches (38 cm) – are smaller on average than those fitting the Kennel Club standard which allows heights up to 16 inches (41 cm).

Pocket Beagles are sometimes advertised for sale but the bloodline for this variety is extinct, and, although the UK Kennel Club originally specified a standard for the Pocket Beagle in 1901, the variety is not now recognised by any Kennel Club. Often, small Beagles are the result of poor breeding or dwarfism.[8]

powerstroke85

Post by powerstroke85 »

powerstroke85 wrote:Breed varieties

The Kennel Club (UK) and FCI affiliated clubs recognize a single type, with a height of between 13 and 16 inches (33 and 41 cm).
small Beagles are the result of poor breeding or dwarfism.[8]
maybe the breed standards need to change as well as the measuring system no more under sized dogs :moon:

Tuff-E-Nuff

Post by Tuff-E-Nuff »

I like the Card, don't want standing in a line early in the morning to get my dogs measured when I could be eating breakfast :check: :bigsmile:
Tuff-E-Nuff Beagles
Silas/Tracy Damron
FCLP Salem's Willy Nelson
GR R.CH Tuff-E-Nuff Annie
HOF Gr.RCh/GrB.Ch Tuff-E-Nuff Charm
Harrogate. TN.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Tuff-E-Nuff wrote:I like the Card, don't want standing in a line early in the morning to get my dogs measured when I could be eating breakfast :check: :bigsmile:
I throw up on the way to every trial I have been too and usually at the clubhouse. I would much rather stand in line!! :lol: :lol:
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

TUFF-E-NUFF :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: why cant people just be honest. if you know your dog is over sized stay at home. the 15in rule has been in the rules for how many years... jmo.

THALL

Post by THALL »

bigdog wrote:TUFF-E-NUFF :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: why cant people just be honest. if you know your dog is over sized stay at home. the 15in rule has been in the rules for how many years... jmo.

:check: :check: :check: Beagling should be a gentleman's sport.
Keep the best, cull the rest!

powerstroke85

Post by powerstroke85 »

bigdog wrote:TUFF-E-NUFF :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: :check: why cant people just be honest. if you know your dog is over sized stay at home. the 15in rule has been in the rules for how many years... jmo.
it dont have any thing to do with being honest the rules have been there for a while but maybe its time for some rule changes it alright to bring a dog that is 8 inches as long as it looks like a beagle but you cant bring a 15 inch dog that may go either way then you get chalenged in finials after being measured once or paying for that card :hammer:

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

you can bring a 8 week old puppy as long as its not over 15in what part does people not understand. 15in is the rule. not 15 1/4 not 15 1/2 not 15 3/4

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

This picture was taken at a hunt I went to is this the correct way to measure a dog?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.79 KiB) Viewed 1010 times