a true Jump Dog

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Alabama John

Re: a true Jump Dog

Post by Alabama John »

Mud, you are tight, most beaglers have a dog or dogs that do jump rabbits and hunt hard, but a jump dog just seems to not hunt hard, doesn't look like anything special while hunting, but simply goes to a rabbit, not a rabbit track right away. They act like its no big deal and all I have owned which like you is a few do not look for a track but for a rabbit itself.
There is a negative though. Other dogs, especially young ones will stop hunting after a while and just stand around watching the jump dog waiting on it to jump them a rabbit.
ONly ones I have sold were not a fit in running with my other dogs. One that fit was never sold and died here.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Too me i love to watch a jump dog grub in briars. Kinda like poetry in motion. Some dogs just seem to have the ability to find rabbits. If i could use dexter reffitts hounds for example they all hunt like there azz is on fire and there tail is trying to put it out, bloody and meaniful. However i have seen for example my bitch abby she hunted as well however never dripped a drop of blood. Why is that? Eiether way being off topic i really love to watch a dog try and produce a rabbit in the thickiest of cover with no regard what so ever to its body.I also think after soloing a dog for a week or so makes one hunt another level above, which is another topic all together.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I remember the first time I went hare hunting after a life of only cottontails. The hounds figured it out much quicker than I did about where and how to find hare and not only adapted, but seem to have it in their nature. Some things I was fighting against in their nature on cottontail were just what was needed to run hare, it seemed to set them free running this game and I found a new relaxation to let them go and trust their breeding to do what was needed, kinda like when you relax and give a horse it head and allow him to settle into his gait, pure enjoyment.
I had that feeling with my ole Pop Fannie bitch, you would drop the gate and she would disappear off through the bushes and you never heard a thing until she rang out a find. She was an independent hunter but hunted with you, she just had a nack for finding rabbits.
A jumpdawg is one of them creatures that makes the first part of the job look easy. :nod:

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Pop Fannie bitch. Aint heard that name for 20 years.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

once you ever have one.Rabbit hunting is not the same.I had one within 38 years of hunting.I just give up trying to breed one or to by one.I had dogs that would hunt.BUT and A big BUT.They could not come near as good as that jump dog.One of the biggest reason I don t have dogs now.A true jump dog will make you go crazy after there gone.I reacken that's the reason I ve love to see a bed jump rabbit than any dog running one.