What 3 bloodlines you would have in your kennel

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Buckeye Bob

Re: What 3 bloodlines you would have in your kennel

Post by Buckeye Bob »

Turbo, Boldstroke, Gunsmoke

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Mt State-Kingwood Shorty Stuff (not realy a bloodline)-Chapman's Hunter Stuff. Bernard is gone but he bred and raised the best hounds I've ever seen run.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

I've only been into beagling for a little more'n a year, and when looking for a show dog I happened to stumble upon my Branko dog. Both sire and dam were bench, field grchamps so I thought he'd make a wonderful show dog... Until I realized that he's a way better hunting dog lol. So I got stuck with a Branko dog, and I love him and his style (cept he's a little too rough) so I recently added a pup who should be more medium speed, more linecontrol, she's got sudduths miss, weir creek on dam side, and to my surprise some Branko back in her ancestry... Actually ali baba who is my branko dog's grandsire... My pup's grandsire is hall of fame pp gch Andy's Cassidy Rambo (he almost granded in little pack).
Hopefully they compliment each other in the field!
We'll see what the future brings whether my pup has what it got to be the beginning of a small kennel of dogs that suit me in the field and trials.

Cooz's Beagles
Cooz's Just Snoopin Around
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci

J&J Run Em Down

Post by J&J Run Em Down »

jack of all trades, paycheck & Northway And If Could Pick A Fourth It Would Be Ranger Dan

Newt

Post by Newt »

Alabama John wrote:Some things never change though.

When this question is asked most all hound men except the old ones will quote and pick from a studs line.

It always been like that.

When pups do good, its the stud did it and when they do bad its the studs line that gets it.

The Dams line, which is 50% full of studs is left out 90% of the time and I think it influences the pups more.
Only when the pups are culls, then the "worthless bitch" that you bred gets the credit(blame). ;)

J&J Run Em Down

Post by J&J Run Em Down »

yes i agree that the stud is at fult no matter what happens with the pups good or bad myslfe i thank if you bred a bith to two good studs and dont get what your looking for then it time to spad her!!! a Bitch should be held up to 60% of the cross ther are some real good bithes out ther i would love to have one like close call girl who in my mind was a real good bitch that ever time see was bred she put pups out ther that wher real good.

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

My dogs are a blend of 4...Colby Hill, Dom's Dougie,Weir Creek, and Branko.

If I had to start over i'd probably take a drive to Wisconsin.

LPB

Rabbit Fever

Post by Rabbit Fever »

Id have to say for Hare hunting it would be Paycheck, Dom's Dougie, Ausable River, Birch Lake, Little Cedar River, Colby Hill, Striker, Larsen's. Oh I quess Im lucky thats what my kennel is made from. LOL

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

I think I have to agree with Shady Grove. It would be hard to argue with Jack (Ninja & Heli-Prop) or was it Trimmer, good question. But I like Ranger Dan for a gun dog, never known anyone with a Ranger Dan hound they didn't like. Tons of hunt, good jump, great line control and check work, with a good nose. The best thing is he throws that in his pups and I don't have to travel far to breed to a son of Dan, which I've done twice this spring. My best crosses have been Ali-Baba & Ninja (up close) male crossed with an Ali-Baba & Ninja female (farther back) and Heli-Prop male and a Top Dog female. The Ali-Baba & Ninja cross produced a champion male and a very good female, while the Heli-Prop & Top Dog little female just won her first ever SPO licensed trial with 45 entries. I do like that Top Dog stuff.

JMHO

PS I've said many times that if Ninja have lived to a rip old age like he should have, we ALL be running Blue dogs!

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

My answer is simple.
Reffett's Ky Mtn Kennel

With this I get the best of the old Northway, some old Branko, and some solid rabbit hounds. I like the gyp out of Junie I have awfully well also. I don't have a single dog that does not go back to the same stock as Dexter's line and all but 1 have his name on the papers within 2 generations I believe. He has proven enough for that to be it's own bloodline.

JMO
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

what about round pound mr. t or branko,s heliprop are those not great rabbit dogs :shock:

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

dingus is good for line controle i heard some say. But how am i going to get it when it is so far back. Any one have any ideas :?: :?: :?: :?:

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

What about TODAYS bloodlines! Everyone is posting about dogs that have been dead for years. Bottom line is the breed is faster and stronger today then it was 10 years ago in some of these top bloodlines. The Ninja blood is a solid bloodline, but when its now three or four generations back you DONT have the bloodline. You have a generic version that you hope and pray duplicates a line of hounds that competed a decade ago. How would a football team from the 50's stack up against todays athletes?
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Grade
Big Mike

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

sanfordssj wrote:What about TODAYS bloodlines! Everyone is posting about dogs that have been dead for years. Bottom line is the breed is faster and stronger today then it was 10 years ago in some of these top bloodlines. The Ninja blood is a solid bloodline, but when its now three or four generations back you DONT have the bloodline. You have a generic version that you hope and pray duplicates a line of hounds that competed a decade ago. How would a football team from the 50's stack up against todays athletes?

So what are some names from today's bloodlines that you would have in your kennel? The only one that I have any experience with that I like so far is Huntspur's Woodlot Hemi. I have a male directly out of him that I like quite a bit so far but he is just 15 months old now. I couldn't tell you the name of the dam unless I looked at his papers but I would be very interested in finding out how his littermates are turning out and possibly getting another pup out of the same cross.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."