What bears the most weight?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chapkosbeagles

Re: What bears the most weight?

Post by chapkosbeagles »

bus to where?

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Jimmy is that the blue bus? :lol: :lol: :lol:

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

If I get anything blue I will be lookin to where I got peral

But if you came and ran with me you would be owning an ace pup there is no dought he will run over your blue to show him his :moon: :D

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Tony83: You said, "Before I will tell someone what a dog will do I have to see him in the daylight by himself and with the pack".

I don't quite understand your point here son. Of course this is what you would do. If you buy one off somebody, you must get a trial and then run him however you see fit. If he don't suit you, don't buy him.

Are you saying that you, or somebody you know have bought me-tooers without ever seeing them go alone? Or have you sold some in this way? Get some sleep.

old school

Post by old school »

I didn't mean to start a tussle amongst any of you beaglers, but I am sure glad I posted the question. Remember guys and gals, we all seem to have a passion for the beagle as a whole. I can see how all of us beaglers can and do look at the "rabbit dawg" so differently. I guess it is why we don't all drive toyota's or chevy's, we all just seem to have our own idea of a good beagle. I have seen lots of hounds run from many different bloodlines arha to akc registered, and I will say, I have seen many of a dog I would feed, but many more I probably wouldn't. All in all great answers and one day we will probably all find out which bloodline and style God prefers. lol

bucks better beagles

Old school, you still haven't explained why you call them "Rabbit Dawg" instead of "Rabbit Dog". Is it a generational thing that I can't understand? A funny thing that I can't understand? Or something else that I can't understand. Just wondering.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Buck, I got a house full of youngins will try to explain.-Dawg=Means friend, homeboy, or bff.In my short 49 years my boys will often pass me in the hall and say"Wat Up Dawg?" I know this new language is very confusing but once people started to text with phones the lingo changed drastically. Guess everthing anymore is abbreviated. I actually have a 7 year old daughter with a I-phone 4. Meanwhile i got a phone from the 90s. I just pay all the bills or most of them sit back and smile and let it go. Its a amazing time in my life right now. Hope this clears any confusion Dawg. :shock: you will always be my Bff
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Cmon Jimmie You got to be older than 49!!
I though maybe Mid 50 or more :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

To me I look at what the dog has won, where it was won, how many he ran against and what he placed. I want to breed to what's going to give me the best opportunity to have a litter of rabbit dogs first off. With that being said I'm a firm beleaver you get out of the pot what you put in. IMO I try to better my kennel and I raise beagles for my self first, for example I asked on here what line crosses well with a female I have. I explained my female lacks a little hunt and I wanted to improve on hunt and pick up a little foot. Some said they would not breed a dog that lacks a little hunt. When I look at a dog to breed I'm looking for qualities I don't like and that I want to build on, as well as qualities I do like that I want to keep. It's all a shot in the dark. You will see dogs make it to the hall of fame just because of titles or they raise the most FC. Which is fine, but there is dogs out there that produce rabbit dogs and they will never be a FC because there not In the right hands, i dont over look a rabbit dog as a stud. For me, at the end of the day Im in it for fun and because I love hounds.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

old school

Post by old school »

BBB more or less what Jimmie said, it is just an ol country boy way of saying DOG, nothing more nothing less. Only thing though, you have to draw it out when you say it, DDDAAAWWWGGG! Can I get a witness. lol I agree with ya twisted, it has got to be for the love of the hounds.

scott calkins

Post by scott calkins »

i will set one thing strait if ya think all trialers dont hunt or run in the wild your wrong all the guys i run with who are trialers also gun infact all of them do. that i hunt with. lets face it them titles are earned in head to head competition against other dogs some times 50 + so that dog that won that day had to be the dog that more than one judge seen controlling the race by line control checking speed noise etc. so when they win enough to be titled under more than one judge then in my opinion there a rab bit dog . i will agree you can have a champion that dont got a lot of hunt . but there is plenty that do have adiquate hunt. and the ones thatr dont still had what it took to be better trailing dogs then there competition did. and you need to know what format is your style of hound . you might like a conservative slower hound so you wouldnt breed to a lpc hare hound. i have a titled male here thats as good a jump dog as they come. and i could fill a lot of freezers with the game thats been shot over him. ;) :annoyed: so in my opinion a title at least is enough for me to want to see the dog run and decide if hes what iam going to breed to.
I will not follow where the path may lead; but I will go where there is no path, and leave a trail. LORD HELP ME BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I,AM!!!

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

scott calkins wrote:i will set one thing strait if ya think all trialers dont hunt or run in the wild your wrong all the guys i run with who are trialers also gun infact all of them do. that i hunt with. lets face it them titles are earned in head to head competition against other dogs some times 50 + so that dog that won that day had to be the dog that more than one judge seen controlling the race by line control checking speed noise etc. so when they win enough to be titled under more than one judge then in my opinion there a rab bit dog . i will agree you can have a champion that dont got a lot of hunt . but there is plenty that do have adiquate hunt. and the ones thatr dont still had what it took to be better trailing dogs then there competition did. and you need to know what format is your style of hound . you might like a conservative slower hound so you wouldnt breed to a lpc hare hound. i have a titled male here thats as good a jump dog as they come. and i could fill a lot of freezers with the game thats been shot over him. ;) :annoyed: so in my opinion a title at least is enough for me to want to see the dog run and decide if hes what iam going to breed to.
I agree, but us as houndsmen need to do our home work on the studs. There are dogs, both studs and bitches that just do not reproduce well. I know if a dog can earn a FC title someone thought enough of them to put the hours in on em. It takes a lot of work to get a title on both the dog and handler in doing there part.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

bucks better beagles

All the trialers I know run their dogs as much as anybody on a routine basis. They are, at least, as serious and appreciative of dog work as most non-trialers I know.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

bucks better beagles wrote:All the trialers I know run their dogs as much as anybody on a routine basis. They are, at least, as serious and appreciative of dog work as most non-trialers I know.
Buck everyone i know loves a good rib-eye steak, we just dont like em cooked the same way.You are exactley right 90% of this board is made up of hard core trialers, that are also hunters. We have every format covered on this board and most every blood line you may want , but still we constanly choose to dis-agree. I just like hearing the other guys angle. ;)
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

bucks better beagles

MVK: I can only speak for the trialers I know, but they like their steak just as I like it. I have met very few trial guys whose dogs I didn't like. In addition, they are constantly striving to improve themselves. I don't think we disagree too much on what makes a good dog. They are willing to travel and show their dogs but I am not. I really enjoy sending my dogs with them when I have anything that I think may have a chance. So far, I have been beaten every time. I just bought a new one today that I hope I can get Wireman52 to carry around with him.