what ever happened to the $150 pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Crow

Re: what ever happened to the $150 pup

Post by Crow »

My old pick up has about ten years of my time in it & it shows every day of that ten years. Beat up quite a bit & when folks hear it has 200,000 miles they're typically not to shocked. Probably is worth about $4,000 if I'm lucky but I've got a lot of time in it & I'm proud as heck of it. It's for sale. Asking $15,000 FIRM. Anyone interested? :lol:

Just because you spend a lot doesn't always mean you got a lot for it. Not saying good ones are cheap or not worth the price, just saying like papers, the price does not make the dog. :nod:

jimb1069

Post by jimb1069 »

bigdogpace wrote:what is missing as well here is the fact that just because a dog has a title don't mean it will reproduce ever rabbit dog is not a stud dog and every stud dog is not a rabbit dog . granted if u c dogs dogs that cross after cross r producing then if u like that type dog expect to pay more for pups but i agree with troy lee a running dog n long run is better if u can afford it. and there r a lot of old back woods breeders who hold just as high a standard as branko or anyone else for that matter should that make there pups any less valuable i don't think so n some cases it make's them more valuable to me anyway title or no title makes me no difference to me n what i pay for a dog what makes the difference is what he can do n field .
I agree..but what do you judge this on...one ore two times you get to see him run? or do you spend a full season watchin the same dog before you decide to breed to the stud or buy a pup off the bitch?
MLB

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

alot of guys on here are basing there opinions on here on fc'swondering how many and what they did in trials. now i have trialed about 20 yrs or so and seen alot of dogs run, now im wondering how many of you guys been to trials yourself, or just here about them on here, or just study there pedigrees. i've seen alot of these dogs run that get blowed up on this internet, and i do mean blowed up. i will guarantee there is alot more better gun dogs out there than there is trial dogs. you guys are forgetting the same two guys are judging these dogs 60 or 70% of the time when they are trialing.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Ron Conroe wrote:alot of guys on here are basing there opinions on here on fc'swondering how many and what they did in trials. now i have trialed about 20 yrs or so and seen alot of dogs run, now im wondering how many of you guys been to trials yourself, or just here about them on here, or just study there pedigrees. i've seen alot of these dogs run that get blowed up on this internet, and i do mean blowed up. i will guarantee there is alot more better gun dogs out there than there is trial dogs. you guys are forgetting the same two guys are judging these dogs 60 or 70% of the time when they are trialing.
:check:
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

dog

Post by dog »

dont raise many pups but i have raised them and i have never had $150 in getting a pup to weaning age , i think that figure is crazy . i think the problen with the price of a pup is what the seller is trying to get paid for , the famous last words with beaglers are " i do this stuff because i love it " and then they try to figure in their time , to me the time they have involved is meaningless . shots , feed , any vet expenses , papers or stud fees to me are ok as long as it pertains to the pups . i have heard peole try to rationalise the price of a pup by including feeding the parents , shots for the parents , vet expences for the parents ect. they would have those cost wether they bred or not . seems noboby is ever in this to make money , yet many price females more than males , it dont cost any more to raise a female to weaning age than it does a male , no special female shots or female feed , cost the same to register a male as it does a female . its all about trying to make a little money and i am fine with that . but say it , to many try and make people believe they are losing money and it just aint so , not if these pups are being sold shortly after weaning !

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

dog wrote:dont raise many pups but i have raised them and i have never had $150 in getting a pup to weaning age , i think that figure is crazy . i think the problen with the price of a pup is what the seller is trying to get paid for , the famous last words with beaglers are " i do this stuff because i love it " and then they try to figure in their time , to me the time they have involved is meaningless . shots , feed , any vet expenses , papers or stud fees to me are ok as long as it pertains to the pups . i have heard peole try to rationalise the price of a pup by including feeding the parents , shots for the parents , vet expences for the parents ect. they would have those cost wether they bred or not . seems noboby is ever in this to make money , yet many price females more than males , it dont cost any more to raise a female to weaning age than it does a male , no special female shots or female feed , cost the same to register a male as it does a female . its all about trying to make a little money and i am fine with that . but say it , to many try and make people believe they are losing money and it just aint so , not if these pups are being sold shortly after weaning !
:check: :check: :check: :check:

Hard Driving Kennel

Post by Hard Driving Kennel »

200$ stud fee + 200$ in gas + 35$ in paper work + 40$ in shots + 30$ in wormer + 5$ in food. Then sell 4 pups. 500$/4=125$ per pup to weanning age. 8 to 12 hour drive to the stud dog for a profit of 25$ per pup, not including the pain in the butt cleaning up after them for a price of 150$? Take the same bitch and breed her to your neighbor male for free and only have 110$ in them and then you will make money. Most of the time you get what you pay for. JMO

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

JIMB169 I HAVE MADE A LOT OF GOOD FRIENDS OVER 45 YRS. SOME THAT WILL TELL ME THE TRUTH AND SAY STAY AWAY FROM THAT DOG OR THAT DOG IS OK CROSSES WELL WITH THIS OR THAT GO TO A FEW TRIALS WATCH A LOT OF LOCAL DOGS RUN SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE I MAKE ACROSS MOST R DOGS I RAISED TRAINED WATCHED RUN FOR MAY B 1YR. TO 18 OR 24 MONTHS U C I DON'T KEEP MALE DOGS SO I DON'T JUST BREED ON A WIM . I LOOK AT THE DOG A LOT MORE THAN PED. LISTEN TO WHO I CAN TRUST HOPE FOR THE BEST. I BREED TO IFC FC AND GUN DOGS . U C I HAVE A SPY LOL IN A CERTAIN FORMAT TELL'S ME YAY OR NAY THANK GOD FOR GOOD FRIENDS . HOUNDS IS ALL THAT EVER MATTER TO ME SINCE I WAS 12 YRS. OLD I WAS PAYING 500.00 FOR DEER DOGS IN THE 70'S WHEN GOOD DOGS WERE 50TO 75 $ U CAN BELIEVE I DO MY RESEARCH AND STILL ITS A CRAP SHOOT. AS I SAID U CANT PUT A PRICE ON SOMETHING U ENJOY . IFC FC OR BACKROAD GUNDOG
BIGDOGPACE

dog

Post by dog »

i can buy a plane ticket , fly from Ohio to California , Buy a $10,000 truck , pay to have it shipped back to Ohio , fly back myself and guess what , its still only a $10,000 truck , it was my decision to go to those lengths to get it , bet nobody will reimburse me for my traveling expences . my point is this , it doesnt matter if you had $1000 in gass getting there , it was still a $200 breeding , it was your choice to go to those lengths for that breeding , not the buyers! I personaly know alot of people that do these type of things to make a breeding , and they want $350 or $400 a pup , and they get it , out of the first one or two , then the rest they end up selling for $100 or $150 to get rid of them , they have too because the longer you keep them the more they cost . You didnt mention the 2 or 3 pups the breeder usually keeps for themselves , they dont have a value ? Again , i am assuming that they are doing it because they "love it " or because they wanted a pup of this cross , because they dont do it too make money , or do they ? They generally do get what they pay for , a pup ! Now if you wanted to offer a money back gaurantee that these pups will turn out exactly like you expect then i can see the extra cost , but remember that includes all the buyers expenses that he invested in getting this pup from you . How many are willing to do that !

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

dog wrote:i can buy a plane ticket , fly from Ohio to California , Buy a $10,000 truck , pay to have it shipped back to Ohio , fly back myself and guess what , its still only a $10,000 truck , it was my decision to go to those lengths to get it , bet nobody will reimburse me for my traveling expences . my point is this , it doesnt matter if you had $1000 in gass getting there , it was still a $200 breeding , it was your choice to go to those lengths for that breeding , not the buyers! I personaly know alot of people that do these type of things to make a breeding , and they want $350 or $400 a pup , and they get it , out of the first one or two , then the rest they end up selling for $100 or $150 to get rid of them , they have too because the longer you keep them the more they cost . You didnt mention the 2 or 3 pups the breeder usually keeps for themselves , they dont have a value ? Again , i am assuming that they are doing it because they "love it " or because they wanted a pup of this cross , because they dont do it too make money , or do they ? They generally do get what they pay for , a pup ! Now if you wanted to offer a money back gaurantee that these pups will turn out exactly like you expect then i can see the extra cost , but remember that includes all the buyers expenses that he invested in getting this pup from you . How many are willing to do that !
:check: and :check: mate. game over could not explain it any better.

ridgrunner72

Post by ridgrunner72 »

What i dont understand about this whole debate is why do people have to complain about what others are selling their pups for. If someone wants to sell them for $500 or $50.00 that is their right. If you dont want to pay that amount of money then dont and there is no reason to cut those up that are asking that much since they own the pups and should be able to ask as much or as little as they want for them.

As for whether they came out of IFC or grade its up to the buyer to decide if they want to spend the money asked for the pups. As for myself if someone makes a cross that i want a pup from then i will pay what they are asking doesnt matter to me if they are champions or grade since i want a pup from that cross. Now if i am just trying to buy a rabbit dog then maybe i would be picky and say well im not paying that much for a pup.

It makes me laugh when people post on here sayin well they only have this amount invested in the pups and it was their choice to drive that far to breed to so and so but guess what they are the ones that went and did it and not you but yet some people think that they should be able to get the pups for nothing or close to it because its not fair to ask a certain amount of money for a pup.

If people think its so cheap and easy to raise pups then maybe they should go raise their own litter and they can give away the pups instead of bashing those that actually took the time and money to do the hard work for them.

Just my thoughts and opinions and yes i know they are like other things and everyone has one. :moon: :lol:

dog

Post by dog »

I am not cutting anyone up for what they want to sell their pups for , i hope they get all they want , just saying its not gonna be from me , there are enough lower priced pups out there that suit me just fine , granted some dont , but i didnt have to spend $500 to find out either , Im not trying to win trials or build a breeding program , im just wanting to run and shoot some rabbits , dont need a $500 pup to do that. Someone simply stated their opinion on why pups are priced the way they are , and I stated my opinion on why they are priced the way they are. i have heard the reasons stated many times , many i agree with and many i dont . another example of some opinions being allowed and some not , seems to be a common theme on here . Some expenses i dont feel you can pass on to the buyer , they will not pay for them . someone mentioned street rods earlier , they are no different , you can build one and sell it , you can probably get back what you have in it , parts wise , but you will never get reimbursed for your time or the gas you used running around buying those parts. There seem to be an awful lot of great bred pups out there for a very reasonable price , a fair price ! I have never in my life tried to talk someone down on the price of a pup , or a running dog for that matter ,if its priced higher than im willing to pay , i move on ! but in the same note im not one of them that get on these boards and gripe about not being able to get what they want out of a pup either and blame it on the market being flooded . like i said before give me a money back gaurantee on a pup for all of my expenses incured with the pup , including gas , shots , vets and a $ amount for my time invested and i will gladly pay the seller for theirs ! and as for $150 being next to nothing , sorry dont see it , especialy when you see pups and dogs from these very same crosses littering the clasifieds on these boards , prices dropping daily trying to get rid of them . and like i have heard a million times , people dont get rid of the good ones. i dont have a problem one with someone saying this is what i want for them because this is what they are worth and drop it , its the lame reasons they give for asking that price , in other words if i pay $500 for a pup then what i am really buying is a $100 pup and a bunch of shots , wormer , gas and a dollar amout of what someones time is worth . i will cut some cost and go buy a $100 pup , they can keep their gas and time

dog

Post by dog »

and it can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be , i do breed on occasion , and when i do it is because it is a cross i want to make because i want a pup or 2 out of it , not because i think it is a cross someone will pay top dollar for , i keep what i want and either give the rest to friends or sell them for next to nothing , after all i invested the money and hard work to as payment for what i wanted , not to get what i thought everyone else would want.

peytonbeagles

Post by peytonbeagles »

I dont think asking 300.00 is bad if it is a proven cross, etc. Yes many lap dogs are 4-600.oo bucks, but as mentioned before the beagle market is saturated, and even at 150, a man might have to gamble 5-6 times which ends up big money where I come from just to cull them out. Its a gamble and you can play at the 150.00 table or go to the big tables, I have to like something a lot to play there myself.

warmule

Post by warmule »

we used to breed give pick of litter to stud owner keep what we wanted give rest away thats real old school
John 3:16