inbreeding

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

razorback

Post by razorback »

I started this discusion on inbreeding because I sarted trying to get into rabbit hunting 2 seasons ago and have not been able to buy dogs that would hunt. I have tried dogs that were 200 -300 dollar range but none would bring the rabbit back for the kill. They would lose it,backtrack or not run at all. every one that has fair dogs will not sell. I really do not know anyone with real good dogs. Most that will run rabbit will run deer,coyote are whatever they run across which makes bad outing.So I decided I would raise my own, so I stared looking into breeding. I have decided that after following this discussion Which is very good that I really do not have time are knowledge to be successful. So where can I buy quality rabbit running dogs to get me started and what should I expect to pay.

Dan Lefgren

Post by Dan Lefgren »

A backcross is breeding one of the offspring of a particular mating back to another in its own pedigree. Example: Son to Dam, Father to Daughter, same goes for breeding those offspring to grand parecnts etc. The closer up in the ped of course the tighter the backcross and thus the higher the coffecient of inbreeding. A common backcross often used by the Masters of hound packs is the breeding of grand-sons back to their grand-dam, or grand daughters bred back to grand fathers.

James Carman

inbreeding

Post by James Carman »

Dan, You are right about the shotgun approach to breeding that goes on in most kennels. This is true of many of the Big Names as well. Some of the "lines" that are out there are the result of outcrossing in every generation. Also you are right about the number of hounds necessary to continue breeding a line. I used to keep about 15 hounds here and had available for breeding many other small kennels with the same bloodline. Now, I don't know of anyone close with the same breeding. Also, I have cut way back on the number of hounds that I keep. I have 5 at this writing. I am faced with breeding very close or lose the "line?" that I have been working with since 1976. The second option is most probable.

razorback

Post by razorback »

can someone answer my post from Jan. 05 2:25 p.m. What about you Gill you said something in one of your post replys about it being hard to find aquality rabbit hound. Need help, going to try another beagle this week.