Kennel cough

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Colesbeagles

Kennel cough

Post by Colesbeagles »

I believe one of my walkers is coming down with kennel cough every couple minutes he lets out some deep dry sounding coughs. I have some LA-200 would it help for me to give him some? Thanks

LR Patch

Re: Kennel cough

Post by LR Patch »

Don't think it will hurt him and I've used and been told to use a over the counter cough syrup like Robtusin , which U will find several types , I can't remember which. Oh and I'm talking stuff for people also told Delsum syrup is good as well. Maybe someone will add which type and dosage . Mostly trying to hold off his cough , cause my understanding is once they get , no real cure only time. About 10 days if I recall correctly , it's been 15 yrs since I've had it here. Of coarse preventive meds are the best cure . JMHO ! Speacilly when run'n with other folks dogs.
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Kennel cough is extremely contagious. If that is what your walker has, any other dogs you keep with it or near it will likely come down with it also. If you hunt with other peoples dogs they can contact it from yours. If I were in your shoes I'd call the vet. Kennel cough will rip through a kennel like wildfire. The good news is its treatable and rarely if ever has long term side effects.

mud

Post by mud »

If I have one to get kennel cough I just ride it out. If other dogs get it usually gone in about 3 weeks. However I kept a friends dog this past winter. It had kennel cough it lasted over 2 months. None of my other dogs thankfully did not contact it.usually not a big deal and nothing to worry about long term

lowell robertson

Post by lowell robertson »

Try three drops of clorox (bleach) in drinking water. Regular treatment will act as a preventative.

Colesbeagles

Post by Colesbeagles »

Thanks for the help I have him moved into a barn away from the other dogs I'll let him fight it out on his own sounds like the only thing you can do.

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Do some research on Tylan 50. A friends dog had kennel cough this past summer and in 3 days of using this the dog was much better with no more cough. I believe he used 2cc injectable dose once per day for the first 2 days then 1cc on the third day. Do not use more than 3 days in a row. Do not hold me to the exact dosage, I'm going off memory which is not perfect anymore, but check it out for yourself. Should be given in shoulder or thigh area intramuscularly and alternate injection sites. Can cause dog some pain and irritation at the injection site that is why you should alternate. Some guys use a little less dosage and some give it 2x per day, but I believe my friend used the dosage I stated and it worked. Best results will come if you start the dog on it early on. You should be able to get it at Tractor Supply. I had a beagle get kennel cough and let it run it's course for a while and it wasn't getting much better after over a week and then I put him on antibiotics. Cough cleared up eventually, but not long afterward he came down with pneumonia. I believe it was from the kennel cough. Letting it run it's course can be risky sometimes. Good luck.

Colesbeagles

Post by Colesbeagles »

I bought la-200 which I think might be similar to Tylan but from what I've been told it would be a waste to give him it.

James Gray

Post by James Gray »

LA-200...3cc first day...2cc second day...1cc third day...end of story.

Squirt it down their throat...do not inject.
LP GRRCH Gray's Magic Mollie(2014 TN State Champ)
LP GRRCH Gray's Blue Angel
LP GRRCH Gray's Run'em Down Katie(2013 AL State Champ)
LP GRRCH Gray's Razor Blade
LP RCH Melton's Mario(2nd 2014 TN ST)

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Tylan is Tylosin and LA-200 is Liquamycin, they are different, but both are antibiotics. It can't hurt to try something. Good luck.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

.........if all else fails, nothing wrong with going to a vet. I'm not one to run to a vet for everything but I can say that often it can be a simple matter of knowing exactly what the correct treatment is. I've found at times a good vet can get your dog back on the road to recovery much quicker than trying remedies that are not specifically targeted for the specific ailment.

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

I have a generic version,Duramycin. Same dosage? One hound hacking.