cooking rabbit

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

gfedor

cooking rabbit

Post by gfedor »

Hey guys, it's been a great year here in nj for rabbits. Tried alot of diff recipes , I like Cacciatore the best, but trying to find a better way to get all the meat off the bone before I make it, I cant stand picking out the bones while eating. Also does anybody use the presure cooker,

big w beagles

Re: cooking rabbit

Post by big w beagles »

My wife uses the pressure cooker and then I fry the rabbit using any favorite chicken recipe. The pressure cooker could be used to cook the meat off the bone, but I would think that a person would still need to pick out the bones.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I don't have a problem with the bones as long as the rabbit is tender and I can gobble it right off of them. What I like is to fry the rabbit and then place it in another pan with a LITTLE water to steam it afterwards. I always use another pan because I use the frying skillet to make gravy from the drippings to smother the mashed taters. My grandmother always used to fry rabbit and squirrel in a cast iron Dutch oven and then when done she would pour the drippings into another skillet to make the gravy and put the Dutch oven on top of their cast iron wood burner with a LITTLE water in it. She would check it to make sure it didn't go dry of water before serving. Of course it takes the crispiness from the frying out of it but it sure makes the meat come right off the bones as it was always as tender as a mothers love! Just as good too!

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I de-bone it into chunks when I clean them.
Beat eggs in bowl with a little milk, add salt and pepper, dip and roll in bread crumbs.
Brown in cast iron pan then put in oven about 1/2 hour at 350 to bake.
Viola, bite size "rabbit nuggets"!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I don't deal with the bones.Like swampman I de-bone the rabbit.
Years ago I dressed the whole rabbit and cooked the whole carcass or quartered it and cooked it.I haven't gutted/cleaned a rabbit in the past 25 years.
I grab the rabbit's fur behind it's head and make a small cut.I then stick a couple of fingers in the cut and pull the hide off like turning a sock inside-out.
Then take your knife and cut all along one side of the backbone from neck down to the hip.Lift out the back strap.Repeat on the other side of the backbone .You now have two back straps each about the size of a hot dog.
I then bone-out the rear legs which have a good chunk of meat on them.Voila ! Good chunks of rabbit meat,no bones and you don't even have to gut the rabbit.
Got a couple of super rabbit recipes that even folks that don't eat wild game will like.Guaranteed !Rabbit Bruschetta Casserole and Rabbit Fajita.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch