southern stud dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

billy boy

southern stud dogs

Post by billy boy »

Any of you boys have a proven reproducer that throws rabbit dogs that will run a good line and still pull the hair from a rabbits tail at a good upper 7 or 8 speed. looking to cross my good female reggie grand and shady grove breeding , from chattanooga, tn. to nashville, tn. looking for the very best, thanks.

BB Beagles

Re: southern stud dogs

Post by BB Beagles »

Give Pete Burns (briar hoppers) call. He owns Puckett Creek Tn Driver. (Reggie X Shady Grove Ninjas Echo). He is pure rabbit dog. Foot, good mouth, great confirmation. I ran Driver for a yr in Ky. Also owned a half brother to him which was LPRCH and true rabbit hound. Pete located in Murfreesboro Tn.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

What BB said , sure enuff a rabbit dawg .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I believe that the female billyboy is refering to he got from Pete as a pup.She is out of Overcomer's Captain Jack x Puckett Creek's Shelby.Shelby is a litter mate sister to Driver,both being out of Reggie and Shady Grove's Ninja's Echo.
Driver x billyboy's female would be an uncle x niece cross.If both these dogs can give you what you want then I would make the cross.This is line breeding back to IFC Maravic's Blue Ninja. Jack is also line bred Ninja top and bottom.Many hounds over the past 25 years with similar back grounds have proven to make some very nice rabbit dogs with some equal success in the trials.
Josh [BB Beagles],I believe billyboy's female is a litter mate to your female and my hunting buddy in New Hampshire has another litter mate female.Have hunted with both and they are nice.
I had Driver here for about 6 weeks four years ago when I was breeding a female to him.I ran him a bunch and like Josh said he's a rabbit dog.Plenty of foot but definitely not a wind splitter.In fact he is maybe a touch more conservative than some of the dogs I've run with him.Not really a front runner, but accurate on the line and close in the checks and can turn a pack from the middle.This is exactly how his mother, Echo ran.Echo was bred 3 times--FT.CH. Fillmore's Northern Sly,LP.R.CH.Shakerag Kennel's Lo-Jac and to IFC.Greenwell's Reggie.I'd say that all the pups she produced ran with her traits.Upper medium speed with good line control and close check work.They all seem to excel on picking up those really hard/long checks.
I raised Captain Jack,kept a litter mate brother to him and hunted with some of the other litter mates.They made nice hounds that ran with more of the "hare hound" style.Somewhat faster and I guess you would say harder hitting.Pete has bred several females to Jack and I believe has a couple of running dogs out of him.You can ask Pete how they are turning out.I heard they were doing a good job.
Jack was sired by GR.R.CH. Shady Grove's Patch.Patch was Branko/Ninja breeding on his bottom side and line bred DFJ. breeding on his top side.The DFJ. stuff runs more like the traditional southern cotton tail dogs.Good line control,closer check work,upper medium foot.Patch seemed to possess the best of both sides of that cross as he had Little Pack foot and was also very accurate.
I couldn't say if Driver is the "very best" or if he's a "proven" stud as he hasn't been bred very much.He is about as solid a rabbit shagger as you'll find.
I have a 4 year old female out of him that possesses' the traits I want.Tess has enough foot to get up and drive her rabbit but enough patience and nose to work him out in the tough going.I have a 10 month old female out of Tess that is showing those same qualities.
Good foot with the ability to push the rabbit and keep it under control.It's what we're all looking for !!
Good luck with you search and hope you get some good ones.
Dana
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

cjgrabhunter

Post by cjgrabhunter »

Too bad you not closer to Louisiana i have a linebred jig's and Reggie grandpup that is a proven producer have 7 pups on the ground out of him and everyone is as solid rabbit running machine as you can get i promise not scared of briars good mouths will jump and run there own rabbit they are something to watch if you watch them run will try to buy them i guarantee you that's how good they are doing and yes the male i have comes direct from Jonah Staten out of his Staten Blue Samari male big mouth just like a coondog when he starts on a rabbit to bad you not closer i would love to show you he was bred to reproduce just like Jonah told me and that he is but i am way down south in Louisiana.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

cjgrabhunter wrote:Too bad you not closer to Louisiana i have a linebred jig's and Reggie grandpup that is a proven producer have 7 pups on the ground out of him and everyone is as solid rabbit running machine as you can get i promise not scared of briars good mouths will jump and run there own rabbit they are something to watch if you watch them run will try to buy them i guarantee you that's how good they are doing and yes the male i have comes direct from Jonah Staten out of his Staten Blue Samari male big mouth just like a coondog when he starts on a rabbit to bad you not closer i would love to show you he was bred to reproduce just like Jonah told me and that he is but i am way down south in Louisiana.
Hows yer male run on snow or frozen ground ? I got a samurai male with a huge nose but hes still learning to run in winter conditions , hes not a finished dog yet but I like him ! hes showing me more of his talent all of the time .....solo !!!!

cjgrabhunter

Post by cjgrabhunter »

well we never get snow down here in south Louisiana but we do get frozen ground when it gets cold enough but he has a real good nose he can wind a rabbit i've seen him stand on his hindlegs and wind a rabbit by air have never seen a beagle do that in my life before real good on sod or real dry conditions if i go up north no doubt he would be a good snow hound he would just have to adjust to the conditions.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Ya my male is learning to make those adjustments ,hes way better this year than last year. When conitions are good he runs like a freight train ! lol
Last edited by outrider66 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

i've seen him stand on his hindlegs and wind a rabbit by air have never seen a beagle do that in my life before
Not being a smart a$$ , but maybe you've not been around many good rabbit dogs . come up to my kennel of 10 patch hounds and I'll show you 10 that will do that. Seen it happen all my life from good dogs .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

cjgrabhunter

Post by cjgrabhunter »

Well i have been around good dogs trust me but just never seen that but the ones i have now do it might be the bloodline not sure but i love the ones that do you know for sure they got a nose on them.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

yeah it's fun to see one wind a rabbit , bust into the briars and jump him up . As I said I have 10 Patch hounds and I've seen each of them do it time and time again .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

cjgrabhunter

Post by cjgrabhunter »

That's for sure you know what's about to happen sure love em doing that to if i'm ever up that way will definitely give you a holler thanks for the input

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

We have a male or two here that you might like. Come on and run if you want to see them go.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467