Snowshoe Hare hunting in WV

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Oak Hollar Kennels

Snowshoe Hare hunting in WV

Post by Oak Hollar Kennels »

I am looking for some info from someone the hunts hare in West Virginia. I am really wanting to get on a few good hare races but where i live in va we only have cottontail rabbits. so i am looking for some info from someone who jumps a good amount of hare. and if there is any good public lands that have hare on it and what habitat to look for that the hare like. Thanks in advance

cmdawson5

Re: Snowshoe Hare hunting in WV

Post by cmdawson5 »

If you find some let me know I would also like to get some hare in wv

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

From what I have been told, the hare population is not that great. You can hunt all day and you might find one hare, maybe two. Those mountains are tuff to get to this time of year as the snow has taken over. You may have to walk several miles just to get to where the hare live.
Also, good luck finding someone to point you in the right direction. With the numbers low, I doubt anyone will tell you where their honey holes are. JMHO

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

We went a few weeks back...had great weather and hunted great thickets where hare should be...not along the roads....1 mile plus in the thickets and best cover we could find, hare cover....not cottontail cover.

We hunted with a guy who grew up there bear hunting and trust me....who knew where to look and the spots were as good as any you would see.

We never had a track...and walked nearly 8 miles...that was just us....the dogs covered nearly 14 miles without a run...lol.

It was tough going and a good time, but you have to know someone to really get into any numbers...I am told they are there, but I am quite certain it is in small pockets and the numbers are not significant.

I would try it again in snow as then you could see tracks and maybe work from there, but it is not for the weak at heart...I am not in great shape, but not soft either...It plain and simple whipped my butt..... :lol:

Good luck!

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

I was once told by a bear hunter I know that the cranberry backcountry area had some snowshoe hare . might be worth researching for those interested

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

as others have stated . good luck finding anyone who will point you in the right direction. All that one can do for wv hare is put in the driving and hunting hrs.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

DINGUS MAN

Post by DINGUS MAN »

I have heard the snowshoe mt in pocohonas county has some.