Hello daddy rabbit this is for you

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

coondawg

Re: Hello daddy rabbit this is for you

Post by coondawg »

Plan on taking extra time with him still my favorite dog shot over him several times with no problems then one day he was burning one up I made the mistake and shot knock the rabbit down got back up and without thinking shot again by this time he was pretty close did not sprinkl him but close to the gun fire he bolted from then on her gets spoked learned a lesson that day these other pups and Ely have been shot over a lot and never even looked up I shot a single shot 20 sense that day and had no problems with the other dogs good to hear from you now that deer season is over here maybe we will get some good places to run

Your friend Larry Meeks

TRK

Post by TRK »

A friend of mine had a dog that was gun shy to the point that she would go to the truck if you fired a gun and she was done for the day. He would go out of his house and fire a .22 short then go to the kennel and feed her a piece of hot dog several times a day then moved up to .22 long rifle and eventually a 20 gauge. He got her to the point where the gun did not bother her at all. If you would have seen how scared she was originally you would not have thought she would ever get over it. It took him several weeks and a lot of patience but it worked.

coondawg

Post by coondawg »

Just so everyone one knows this is not a fault in the daddy rabbit dogs it was my fault and mine only he told me to be careful when shooting over a young dog it was me that was careless learn a very important lesson on what not to do got three more young dogs that i took a little more time with and had no problems the gun don't affect them jam up rabbit dogs!!!