Ok need some young dog opinions

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mobeagle

Ok need some young dog opinions

Post by mobeagle »

I've had a lot of hounds over the years more big hounds than little but I've had 11 beagles over the years but I lived in the sticks before and I usually had 2-3 at a time and my young dogs could run lose for a couple days at a time with the started dogs and I didn't have to worry about then getting run over or hurt. I'd" pen up for rest every so often but point is they could start themselves pretty easy.

Now to present day. I don't live in those conditions where I can let them run free and there's no starting pen near me. Here's what I've got a 7 month old pup that's been in on some chases. He's sight ran barked while sight running barked a little on hot track. I borrowed an old female of a buddy and she's really honest and can run a rabbit. The problem I'm having is she's a 10 inch female that's 7 yrs old and painfully slow. She doesn't really keep a race exciting for him. He's in and out with her. She sticks her nose in every track. She can keep it going but it's slow. He's going to be a15 inch hound he's super athletic and his breeding is fast and athletic. Am I wasting my time completely with this female? I realize she's finding rabbits and moving a track but he's bored to death with her slow pace. Would I be better off letting him start himself. Best dog I ever owned started herself but she also ran free. I'm just frustrated watching this old female walk a track to death while I'm trying to get this pup excited. I do realize he's just 7 months old and being in and out with an old dog is common but he's ready and she isn't pushing hard enough to help him progress from what I'm seeing.

He is not at my feet, he jumps rabbits and will sight Chase then and bark a little. So my question is should I just taker him solo until he figures it out on his own, continue with what I'm doing our do I need to find someone with a good pack and take him with them.

Next question is does anyone think I can get him going good taking him solo several times a week.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

outrider66

Re: Ok need some young dog opinions

Post by outrider66 »

if hes jumping rabbits and opening on them then hes got three legs off the ground already ! its just a matter of time before he gets that right rabbit he can run. me personaly
I would solo the crap out of that pup.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

TAKE THAT PUP OUT AND LET HIM DO HIS THING,, HE WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD GUN DOG!!

D..R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I've started literallly hundreds of pups; if the old girl gets the pup back on track and helps him learn to progress forwards, take her along. If she pulls the pup back, leave her home.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

Rcoff wrote:I've started literallly hundreds of pups; if the old girl gets the pup back on track and helps him learn to progress forwards, take her along. If she pulls the pup back, leave her home.
Thanks,
Bob
Well I agree with that. I'm at a crossroad where both scenarios are happening........He can't handle one on his own at all. He's just now starting to open a little on the track. Goes crazy sight chasing. He gets in the bush so good for a pup he's actually had several little sight chases. From what I've observed so far he's got a ton of hunt the little guy will get in brush piles and in the thickets already I'm really impressed with him in that regard but can't move a track yet. He'll get it in front of the old dog and move the track in front of her 60-100 yds silent I know he's smelling it and following it just hasn't put it all together yet. I really don't want to invest in an older broke dog that can keep up with him I really want another young dog I'd like to have a pack of 3 all about the same age I just need to get the first one started good and I'll go from there. My son is wanting to start trialling a little for fun.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I'm not a fan of running pups with a pack. They learn their place is at the back. I agree; I'd solo him until he can handle his own and then run him with an older, slower dog. I think when they run at the back of the pack, they don't develop confidence and rely on the others. I'm no pro, just my opinion.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

If the old girl is finding rabbits then keep taking her. If your young hound starts picking up the pace on her then leave her home. Her working the track slow might be good for your young pup, shows him the patience he will need one day. Now if this pup isn't contributing with her maybe he needs to be soloed.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Donnie Durbin

Post by Donnie Durbin »

Solo, solo, solo :)