Checkwork

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TrlBustinBeagle

Re: Checkwork

Post by TrlBustinBeagle »

Tom why is it that the new/younger judges aren't getting used in your opinion? I'm a midwest judge and one of the younger ones I would venture to say. I have been trialing for yrs so guys that have been around for years know who I am. I have volunteered to judge at numerous different clubs, but for some reason only a few will call. I love judging hounds, it allows me to personally get a close look at what bloodlines are throwing certain traits that I am looking for in my hounds. I have never cares who owns what dog or what dog has done what in the past. Judging should be based off what is happening right there.
Greg, as far as checkwork not outweighing the front runners well Roy Noe's Simba dog is one heck of a check hound that when I judged him didnt care what was going on in front of him, but knew what to do though when he had the front. Another example of a check hound being rewarded for his work was Joe Clark's Iceman. Iceman knew where the point of loss was.
Trail Bustin Beagles
Winners Train While Losers Complain

RIP:
Nr FC Juls Trail Bustin Hollie
Fld Wnr. JJ's Magnificent Maggie
Home of:
Trail Bustins Josie Wales
Trail Bustin's Magnificent Maxie

John Way

Post by John Way »

I'm not in your area , but still applies in NE. Good thoughts Tom and well stated Hard. Its just that easy. Bustin Beagle. Like your eagerness. Just keep at it. Honesty ,hardworking and get along with your judging partners. Eventually your gonna be screening calls and turning down assignments.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Well i think one of the reasons we are not getting younger judges is, that we are not getting enough young beaglers in the sport. Which i think there are alot of reasons which is another topic that is about hunting in genera.
In regards to why some judges cannot get assigments. These are not aimed at anyone just thoughts i have from over 20yrs. In the sport.

1. Not enough hound knowledge
2. Physical ability to a good job
3. Poor sport when your dog does not do as well as you think letting everyone else at the trial know this and laying blame everywhere but on your hound.
4. Being controversial, keep your negative comments to yourself. It is encouraged to be critical of dogs but you dont have to be nasty about it. No one wants to be told your dog " sucks" from a judge when already may no this be polite.
All of us in this sport put alot of time into our dogs that we love. Keep in mind when you talk poorly about our dogs it is almost as bad as talking about family.
5. Become activive in the sport help make a club or trial better. Help a club , be an officer, volunteer just dont show up on trial day and then complain because things are not to your liking show up and help.
6. Be honest.
7. Be as gracious in loss as you are when you win! Thank both judgs sincerely for thier efforts whether you agree with the decision or not.
These are just a few thoughts in general, i have noticed over the years.
Tom Summers

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Yes Tom, a lot of our best judges are getting some age on them & we need some new, younger judges that can do a good job when they retire. Good points.

Trailbuster,I don't think I stated that only the front end hounds with no checkwork were winning. I don't know where some guys are getting that, but if I'm known for the guy that thought proper checkwork was more important to a race than the front end, I'll take that all day.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

fastone

Post by fastone »

I know of a few judges that didnt get many calls this past year that do a good job imo Seems like a lil politics but Im happy with a large percentage of the judging ive witnessed
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

WELLS WOODS wrote:Yes Tom, a lot of our best judges are getting some age on them & we need some new, younger judges that can do a good job when they retire. Good points.

Trailbuster,I don't think I stated that only the front end hounds with no checkwork were winning. I don't know where some guys are getting that, but if I'm known for the guy that thought proper checkwork was more important to a race than the front end, I'll take that all day.
Possibly from a previous post of mine that was in response to another poster, not you. He's one of those guys that showed up once or twice, got beat, and then commenced to show up on a public forum years later and bitch about the federation and how poorly it's run. My guess is every failure in his life is someone else's fault. You know.........one of those guys.

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I saw some of the best check dog in midwest spo. I wish there are more trials close to minnesota.
Minnesota Beagler

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Yes, Chip there are a lot of guys that only care about themselves & it wouldn't bother them if the Mid-West fell apart today. If they don't win, it's the judges' fault. Another quality a judge needs is thick skin. Somehow the Mid-West needs a way of rating a new judge's ability & getting his name out there. Score his effort, honesty, knowledge, etc. Does the running improve from first series to second & winners pack? How many extremely faulty hounds are still showing up in the winners pack? We could let our veteran judges that have already proven themselves give a list of the best new judges they have judged with in the past 2 or 3 years. Scott Music was talking about a new judge that he judged with last year that did a very nice job. Another way a judge can get his name out there is by showing extreme effort. Get off your horse if needed. The more running you see, the more information you have to go by when making decisions.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

TrlBustinBeagle

Post by TrlBustinBeagle »

Pine lakes who are you referring to as a guy that showed up a few times to a trial and complained cause they lost then slammed the federation? Just curious cause you copied a response from Mr. Wells that had me involved in it
Trail Bustin Beagles
Winners Train While Losers Complain

RIP:
Nr FC Juls Trail Bustin Hollie
Fld Wnr. JJ's Magnificent Maggie
Home of:
Trail Bustins Josie Wales
Trail Bustin's Magnificent Maxie

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

TrlBustinBeagle wrote:Pine lakes who are you referring to as a guy that showed up a few times to a trial and complained cause they lost then slammed the federation? Just curious cause you copied a response from Mr. Wells that had me involved in it
Actually I got my posts screwed up. The moron that I thought I was responding to didn't post on this thread. I had read his post in another thread and mistakenly included him in this conversation. I didn't realize it until I looked back through the posts. Sorry for the confusion.