Checkwork

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

WELLS WOODS

Checkwork

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I'm not talking about any trials or judges because I haven't been to many in the past couple of years or so, but it's always a good idea to remind ourselves that it's proper checkwork & line control that keeps the rabbit on the move. Speed is only good if the hounds are accurate. I used to always skim through the AKC rulebook occasionally when I judged even if I thought I had everything figured out. Good luck to everyone this year in the Mid-West trials.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

sparky

Re: Checkwork

Post by sparky »

Speed's for show,Checks for dough $
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

rridzon

Post by rridzon »

:shock:

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

But they got to drop the ball to create a check :check: so you need em fast to over run so they can show off in the check. :check: :check:

overpass

Post by overpass »

the trials i went to is and will always will be, FIRST ONE CROSSES THE TRAIL WINS . speed wins . judges look for check work , REALLY. i sure would like a list of those judges that would pick up the lead dog in any chase. there was a time years ago in the midwest that a good check dog could win. thats been over a long time. the leash still plays a big factor also. my 2 cents
Last edited by overpass on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

overpass wrote:the trials i went to is and will always will be, FIRST ONE CROSSES THE TRAIL WINS . speed wins . judges look for check work , REALLY.

:hammer:
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

How bout those Mets !!
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Wicker's Beagles

Post by Wicker's Beagles »

Greg,
Trials today have very little if nothing to do with promoting the abilities of an honest gun dog that a man can hunt and harvest rabbits with, instead it all seems to be more about any dog in a pack that appears to be in the lead during the small amount of time the judges can actually see what's going on.

Even if that lead dog is a liar and doesn't actually have the line he'll be the one with all the score, especially if the rabbit made a hard check and doubled back the way it came, the dogs with brains will slow down to figure it out, that front running idiot will swing 50 yards to the left or right barking every breath at nothing at all and will eventually get lucky to cross the actual line and pick it back up, that front runner has entered a lot of trials and has learned to gamble on his pack mates hard work and he will get all the score and be standing proud on the podium at the end of the trial.
Many of today's judges don't know what they just witnessed unfold right in front of their face with a trial smart dog.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

You aren't going to the right trials (formats) nor seen the quality judging my hounds have been fortunate to run under.
My hounds are first and foremost hunting/gun dogs.
Find the right format and I think you will change your mind.

Markday

Post by Markday »

I like a fast dog but I want them to be accurate and on the hard break down's they need to be able to gear down and walk them hard checks out not go swinging way out hoping to run back across the track which is what a lot of competitive fast dogs do to my experience.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

Wicker's Beagles wrote:Greg,
Trials today have very little if nothing to do with promoting the abilities of an honest gun dog that a man can hunt and harvest rabbits with, instead it all seems to be more about any dog in a pack that appears to be in the lead during the small amount of time the judges can actually see what's going on.

Even if that lead dog is a liar and doesn't actually have the line he'll be the one with all the score, especially if the rabbit made a hard check and doubled back the way it came, the dogs with brains will slow down to figure it out, that front running idiot will swing 50 yards to the left or right barking every breath at nothing at all and will eventually get lucky to cross the actual line and pick it back up, that front runner has entered a lot of trials and has learned to gamble on his pack mates hard work and he will get all the score and be standing proud on the podium at the end of the trial.
Many of today's judges don't know what they just witnessed unfold right in front of their face with a trial smart dog.
Ive seen both but I will never forget the time I saw the dogs your describing here do just that....win. Afterwards everyone was standing around and someone called one of the fellas that was standing around to see who won. When the winning dog was described as being "out front all day long" to the guy on the phone I just shook my head as running had been anything but smooth. Fact is its up to the judges to figure it out and toss the one causing it but its up to ME to figure out which judges CAN figure it out and not waste my money traveling to the ones that can't. Just my .02 and that won't get you much!
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

sparky

Post by sparky »

I understood WELLS WOODS to be talking about Mid West Field Trials,I'm definitely not at a trial every weekend,but the occasional trials that I do get the opportunity to attend my opinion for the most part is the judges do a pretty good job.Ofcourse there are gonna be days that a flashy frontend type dog is gonna win an deservingly so,but there are also gonna be alot of days where the dog that consistently keeps puttin the pack back on the rabbit is gonna win as well.My opinion I think solid check dogs are actually winning quite a bit in the Mid West,Example: in the big male class over the last year there was a dog with 9 wins,he was definitely a check dog,the kind of dog that turns out of the pack,with great line control.These style dogs are what I personally prefer,and obviously there are some judges that like them as well :) .
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Is this post about proper check work on a big stinky buck in the spring time ? or running a tough rabbit in a frozen grown over beaver swamp in late January on a bad scent day? close & clean snap back and get it and go might not work in late season! Has there ever been an AKC mid west trial held on snow& ice ?

ray s

Post by ray s »

outrider66 wrote: Has there ever been an AKC mid west trial held on snow& ice ?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zrIcJFxch0o

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Thank you ray s . its tough out there at times and aint always pretty !