I've Grown to HATE a full length tail on a beagle!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Re: I've Grown to HATE a full length tail on a beagle!!

Post by Joeyman »

I have a dog right now that sits down on me and whines because her tail is hurting her. She will sit down and lick at it. Its interrupting her hunting and I don't like it one bit. Her tail is going to get banded
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I see what you guys are saying, and if your little hounds require their tails be docked to be functional hunting companions, then so be it.
It is the same with those who are soft-footed and must wear boots. jmho

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

I would rather duct tape the end of the tail then mutilate my dog. JMO I have no problem with any one else doing it if that what works for them.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

im thinking that what and how far , how often may have more to to do with tails bleeding- than breeding for a standard- -- if a dog had more hair than some of my beagles it wouldnt be a beagle-- any that dont have thick coat and hide dont stay here long--- its a pretty important trait in the winter here--- i put flaps on dog houses at last possible time and feed them zinc gluconate in an effort to increase hair - some look like sheep- :D i do notice that i have a few dogs that go hunting everytime i go- those are the ones that can have big problems with tails bleeding--- if i breed any it would be those--- so i guess i been breeding and selecting for bloody tails all along - :D
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

now feet that is another story--- i agree with you on feet-- i dont do boots- :D
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I guess if the tail is of proper set, length and brush, the main culprit might be the dreaded "busy tail syndrome". Some hounds, carry their tails high, some low. Some whip side to side, some whirl like a gyro-copter taking off. Tail action, like a too freely wagging tongue can come at a cost. :biggrin: jmho

APFII

Post by APFII »

If I looked at a litter of pups and they all had docked tales, I would wonder if they might be hiding a genetic problem of kinked or bad curl tale. Leave it up to the buyer if he wants to dock a tale.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

That is not an option...they will be docked....just so folks know if they book a pup.... for future reference.....

Its my preference....nothing else...and I like the looks of it...just like others have there preference on colors and such....

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

APFII wrote:If I looked at a litter of pups and they all had docked tales, I would wonder if they might be hiding a genetic problem of kinked or bad curl tale. Leave it up to the buyer if he wants to dock a tale.

Its done at 3 days old. I normally take about 3/8inch off.

jt's kennel

Post by jt's kennel »

I understand docking a tail that hinders ones hunt, but I would disagree with automatically docking pups tails. I understand that's your opinion that it looks better, it is my opinion that it looks terrible on a beagle and it straying away from breed standard.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

So I won't expect your call to book a pup...thanks for your opinion.

It has NOTHING to do with a breed standard...NOTHING to do with hiding genetic flaws....it is my personal choice and if you don't like it PLEASE don't call me about a pup or young dog you are looking to buy. Just another way I can weed out tire kickers....if you are serious and want to talk dogs and SEE dogs run then you will call and come evaluate the dogs...not there tails....lol.

ALL pups from my dogs will have there tail DOCKED at 1 wk old, and dew claws removed, front and back.....

This is an instance where a breed standard can be altered(by choice) and I could care less what the book says about it, I am referring to tail length ONLY....I WANT FUNCTIONALITY.....other things have definite purposes. I can't see where tail length changes any functionality of the dog other than beneficially.

Please explain to me the advantages of a full length tail other than looks and what a book says it should look like? Thank you as always! I am always open to listen...

Again...thanks for the opinions and for those that disagree...thanks for saving me time on the phone or in the field with someone who doesn't like the choice of docking tails....I am not saying this as a smart butt...I genuinely thank you for your opinion and stance on this.

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

Well that's a stinking shame that I may want a pup out of Walker and have to buy a pup I don't like the looks of because the owner was so arrogant. I hunt a dog with a docked tail but it's. Docked because she was born with a crooked one. I really just think you got a sorry attitude about the whole deal, and no I won't be booking a pup.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

if you take 3/8 off at 3 days old I think they look perfect when they are 8wks old and also as adult beagle. Are you guys thinking they will have a half a tail or less? that's not the case.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Has nothing to do with arrogance....I am sorry if this is offensive to some. Ignorance of how a proper docking is done is the case as Joey explains...

Heck Walker has a docked tail himself...lol. Sure didn't hurt his results....

If you would like pics of some that are grown I can text them to you.....Most people can only tell they have a shorter tail.

And if I wanted a pup off of any dog....the owner of the dog OWNS everyone of those pups until I pick it up...if I don't want it then I simply would not buy it....I would not get offended by it....again...my choice.

Sorry...thanks and take care!

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

I have never seen a docked tail hurt a dog but I have seen a full length tail. If we cant alter a beagle to improve performance why do we remove dew claws? it seems simple to me Jim will be docking tails,so if interested in a pup from Jim its tail will be docked. if you don't agree with this , move on and buy a dog elsewhere.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.