I've Grown to HATE a full length tail on a beagle!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Re: I've Grown to HATE a full length tail on a beagle!!

Post by BCBeagles »

Thanks Bear....I hope Reba has a nice litter for you. She is a nice dog! Even with a full tail....lol.

APFII

Post by APFII »

The guestion here is not whether you dock or do not dock tails. If it needs to be done by all means do it.The guestion is.Is it arrogant to think that every one who likes one of your litters should buy a docked tale pup. Because you think it's better.

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

No I wouldn't buy a beagle from a man that would try to force his opinion on someone that wants one of his pups. But I can tell from his posts I wouldn't buy a beagle from him anyway, because I try to associate with folk that are considerate of others.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

This is exactly why I offer my hounds at stud...if you breed to one...you own them...you do what you like with the pups tails.

I said it was my choice...not that it was better...I PREFER a shorter tail, it makes more sense to me, so I am not limiting my choices on the litters I raise...I will dock all their tails.
I don't chose my pups at 2wks....do you? Do you chose them at 4? or 6? I chose them when I am ready to chose then the rest are picked in order they are booked(names taken).

If you book a pup from me....you know ahead of time that it will have it's tail docked...if you don't like that don't book a pup. I would even give the choice to the person booking the pup to see it before they refuse to take it....how much more fair can that be??

I cannot see any arrogance in that when I own the dogs involved. I DON'T take money to book pups..I simply take names.
I own the pups until you pick them up. Not when they are born you pick yours and say...don't dock it's tail....that is NOT how it works.

If you think it is arrogant please don't call me for a pup off of one of my females.....I was just informing folks what will be done on the litters I have.
I have lists of people wanting pups....I assure you they don't care about the tails...they just want a pup...I truly hope I can get them one!!!

It may turn out to be COMPLETE CULL....then again it may not.....

Everyone will know the story completely when they come to get a pup...

Just like people breed for big dogs or people breed for little dogs, or people breed for fast dogs, or slower dogs....the list goes on and on...

It is a choice and if I want to do it on my litters I will......just like it is a choice for you to NOT book a pup knowing its tail will be docked.....
I don't see what is arrogant about that...?

Thanks and good running to all.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Is it inconsiderate of me to NOT run UBGF dogs? That could be offensive to those guys because I don't prefer that style. No....I run what I like...so are you inconsiderate because you chose the dogs you like or is it your choice? Just like I chose to dock tails on pups born here.

Choice fellas....

Gunslinger last time I checked you haven't been here to meet me in person or run with the dogs I am fortunate enough to have.. YOU are welcome here any time....I promise you will be treated respectfully and with consideration....

This has nothing to do with my reputation...it is just an FYI...it offended you and I apologize.

I won't be expecting your call, BUT I wish you the best with your hounds!! Walker will still be here and you can breed to him FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...just get your dog here.....take care!!

I don't think that is inconsiderate or arrogant.....

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Sorry to those offended...really didn't want start a complete war about it..lol.

If it isn't your cup of tea I really and sincerely hope you have tons of success with your choices......

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Let a kennel owner do what he chose's , he buys the feed . Buy or don't buy a pup . I like tail myself :lol:
I did see where Sam said it improved performance , I don't see or understand that comment . If one quits hunting for a sore tail then IMO it lacks grit , I've seen my dogs run with bloody tails , cut / ripped pads , barb-wire cuts on legs , necks , ripped ears and one poked-out eye but they don't quit .
rv
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

I have owned a dog that it would have improved her performance. Anyone who saw this female run can testify that she did not lack grit in the least. she would lose so much blood that she would become weak. she could have benefited from a docked tail. but I guess my dogs don't have what it takes...
Last edited by sammiller03 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

I am finished with this post. I understand why Jim stated what he did(I took it as more of a public announcement than something to debate, but like others I weighed in with my opinion.). I am considering one of his males as a stud. I may or may not dock their tails. but if I get a pup from Jim I will count on its tail being docked and I'm ok with that. like a few on this board I have run with Jim and now consider him a friend. If you read back through the posts as some enjoy doing, I think you will notice that all the people who have met or dealt with Jim have nothing but good things to say. Good running to all. Run what you enjoy and makes you happy.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Sam, your really not buying into this "attention promo" are you?
Jim could have easily went to his litter adds for sale an put this on "notice", but no, he makes a radical post on the "talking dawgs" section to draw attention and stir debate...lol... he got just what he was after. :nod: ... he's creating jobs, a new policing position has been created according to him... :lol:

It seems to be working, I even hear Buddy Jude has put in orders for pups, but nothing with basset in it. :D

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

here is my current litter with tail tips docked. At adulthood they will be the perfect length and not have any bloody tail tip issues

Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thanks for the pics Joey...perfect example of how it looks when done properly.

Nice pups!!!

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Heals up nicely and has a thick broom handle look to it. .not the ugly pointy thinish tip
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

A lot of animal rights organizations are trying to make this practice illegal. Maybe instead of fighting amongst our selves we should be fighting them. I have one dog with a bad tail problem. I find it very easy to use bag balm and duct tape to solve this problem. I don't like docked tails. But I will support Jims right to dock his dogs tails.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

For future reference, anyone who would book a pup of any cross I make will have to accept a hound with a proper coat, to include a full tail that will not be altered in any way, nor will there be any reason to do so.