Brains, isn't it time you got yours

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Pine Lakes

Re: Brains, isn't it time you got yours

Post by Pine Lakes »

outrider66 wrote:
Pine Lakes wrote:
outrider66 wrote:An akc mid west Blizzard Challenge ! might be a coming to the light of sorts ! Also
How so?
Its simple ! when does trialing season start for Midwest ??? and when does hunting season start ????? which months would be the best time to promote a hunting dog ???
seems to me the Midwest is the only format that pretty much hangs it up when the snow flies !! but is highly tooted on this board as producing the best hunting dogs
there is . I would be willing to wager that many in the north think thats just not the way it is !!! my personal opinion is spring trialing doesn't prove anything about a
true hunting dog !! theres no telling if the faulty dogs you guys complain about might just be the one that you put in the truck first come hunting season ! Its very
possible that faults that went unnoticed in the spring get exposed in the winter ! theres probably poodles out there that can pound a rabbit in the spring time ! dosent
mean hes a rabbit dog though !
What a bunch of BS. I'm not even going to post the facts because they are too easy to find. Personally, I prefer a dog that can run in every condition except the blazing heat. I don't feel the need to ruin a good dog with a heat stroke, although I've almost done it at a trial. If you don't like spring trialing, there are plenty in the fall and winter months for those that share this guy's sentiments.

I'd be willing to wager that the boys up north hunt with their dogs less than the guys down here. I know because I've ran both, have you? I know plenty of guys "up north" and they don't shoot nearly as many rabbits as some of these guys south of them. And where do you think the dogs we run in the Mid-West come from? At this point I wonder what you actually do know because everything you stated is false. Everything. Although I'm not surprised due to the fact that you and gwyoung seem to be 2 peas in a pod. I'm not going to sit here and clamor that the Mid-West is the best beagle organization there is. I don't think that is fair to those that compete in and put their very lives into other associations. All I know is this, I personally don't think dropping 40 dogs off the gate at once is the way to determine the best rabbit dog even though I enjoy it. The most enjoyable trial in my experience was the old Straights of Macinaw SPO on hare trial. Awesome!. I'm also not in favor of the slow, mouthy UBGF dog which I don't enjoy. AKC should have never allowed the brace hounds to get to this point and that's the format to find the best rabbit dog IMO. I've ran UKC. I've ran ARHA. Even in its imperfection, the Mid-West is one of the strongest and best means to test a rabbit dog.

P.S. Don't be such a sore loser. There is an enormous amount of good people at Mid-West trials that are doing there best to promote a good hunting dog. If your dogs can't compete then leave them at home and come visit. While enjoying the company I promise that you will see a good dog or 2 run a rabbit, even in the winter trials.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

pine lakes I just made a suggestion so if having a mid- west trial on snow in freezing conditions dosent appeal to you guys , so be it! I do think though that it could be
a benefit to the breed since ( imo ) the most breeding of hunting dogs is done by trialers or trial dogs. I know I would be more interested in breeding my good female
to a mid-west fc that had wins on snow than one that had wins in the spring and was retired to the stud pen. I bet the dog that shined on snow would get plenty of
girlfriends ! I don't know what facts you say I got wrong ?? the only facts I posted are in my 2nd and 4th post. also I find your bashing of other formats and the two peas
in a pod comment to be very distasteful &childish !!! this is my last post if you what to comment go for it !!!

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

Why don't you take the time an look to see what the Midwest trial dates are?
Midwest trials aren't only in the spring,Midwest has trials all the way through fall & winter.
You'll find a trial every weekend Dec Jan Feb Mar.
The Championship Runoff is held in Jan.
There are several Midwest trials held on snow every year,I finished a little female a couple years ago two of her wins were on snow..
Not sure where you're getting your information from,but you need to do a little research,and get your facts straight.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

get what facts straight ? you tell me what facts I posted are wrong ?? the only facts I posted that I know of is gwyoung has me laughing & wells woods is the biggest source
off 2nd & 3rd hand info on this board ! and my opinion stays the same ! those fact are straight ! so tell me what are the facts I have wrong ???? where did you get wins on
snow ? what was the dates ?

hard on a check

outrider66 wrote: when does trialing season start for Midwest ??? and when does hunting season start ????? which months would be the best time to promote a hunting dog ???seems to me the Midwest is the only format that pretty much hangs it up when the snow flies !!
So hunting season is from Nov-Feb
Midwest trials run through those months
Midwest trials don't hang it up when the snow flies
These are the facts that I was referring to that you need to get straight.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

OK ya got me ! I apologize but what were the trials you got wins on snow ??? what were the dates , yrs ?

hard on a check

FCGD Thompson's Try My Patience, that's her name.
She got a win at Coshocton,Oh. it was about 6 inches of snow,the judges were Merrit Robison & Brad Hanner's..
She got another win in a couple inches of snow in Indiana,dont remember who was judging that day..
She also got a 2nd at West Virginia in a big snow storm,Ralph Robertson was one judge,cant remember the other..
This was a couple years ago,cant remember all the dates etc etc..Just ribbons in a shoebox.
The point is we definitely run our dogs in snow at Midwest field trials,don't get it twisted.

fastone

Post by fastone »

If you want to see Patience run on snow heres your invitation 66 :shock:
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

I can go Friday , Saturday or sunday ! you choose I already have plans for tomorrow but ya I'm in !! post on here what day you want to meet up

fastone

Post by fastone »

call 740-504-7348
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Called but no answer ! If you want to show your female call me 740-208-0517 I will go any day you want too !

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

Outrider66, go watch her run you, you won't be disappointed, nice hound.

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

outrider66 wrote:pine lakes I just made a suggestion so if having a mid- west trial on snow in freezing conditions dosent appeal to you guys , so be it! I do think though that it could be
a benefit to the breed since ( imo ) the most breeding of hunting dogs is done by trialers or trial dogs. I know I would be more interested in breeding my good female
to a mid-west fc that had wins on snow than one that had wins in the spring and was retired to the stud pen. I bet the dog that shined on snow would get plenty of
girlfriends ! I don't know what facts you say I got wrong ?? the only facts I posted are in my 2nd and 4th post. also I find your bashing of other formats and the two peas
in a pod comment to be very distasteful &childish !!! this is my last post if you what to comment go for it !!!
C'mon dude! The trial dates are set well in advance of knowing what the weather will do. I've been to trials that were well below 0, over 80, rain, snow, sunshine, and a mix of both. I would think that if you knew the facts before suggesting these dogs can't run on snow, or that the Mid-West doesn't want to run on snow then you may have withheld your inaccurate statement(s). I personally know many of the guys that trial their hounds in the Mid-West and they run and hunt in the snow. Many of us welcome it.

The only organization I spoke ill of was the brace clubs due to the fact that those hounds cannot pursue a rabbit. In fact I stated that is wasn't fair to suggest that the Mid-West was the best beagle organization due to the work and commitment by the good folks of other organizations. That and a little humility goes a long way with me. All I know is what I've experienced, and that leads me to believe that the combination of dogs and format structure(SPO) is the best means to test a beagles ability to run a rabbit IMO(in my opinion). As far as dogs, Canada, the UP, North East, and Mid-West run the same dogs. Are you suggesting that the dogs from up north can't run on snow? They are the same dogs, literally in some cases. This doesn't mean that every dog entered in a Mid-West trial is a great snow hound, but I think that you posting on a public forum suggesting what you have is false and misleading. That sir is childish, distasteful, and bad form.

Look back through gwyoung's posts. He's an antagonist on a public forum who I don't think participates in Mid-West trials, but yet somehow views himself as an all knowing ambassador of beagles trialed in the Mid-West. Having an opinion is the right all of us share, but when one antagonizes with false information he should be prepared to receive derogatory responses. I would expect anyone to respond as such if they are misrepresented.

fastone

Post by fastone »

2 return calls no answer
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

fastone wrote:2 return calls no answer
:D
Last edited by outrider66 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.