Brains, isn't it time you got yours

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

S.R.Patch

Re: Brains, isn't it time you got yours

Post by S.R.Patch »

Yes, I agree with you Lamarr. But it is the interpretation that more check solving equals the better hound in Little pack that rubs the more line controlled folks that it had been better to have had fewer checks, thus the odds of having less lost rabbits. Some believe every check is the potential for a lost rabbit. Not all checks can be eliminated and that's where we judge houndwork, but the checks that are hound created carry risk and the more, the greater the risk of a loss. jmho
These opinions of interpretations of the same rule book are what make the swells of observers at the different trials, where like minds come together.

Les, thanks for your well thought out opinion. My opinion is, some hounds make things happen and are not left to happenstance. When I took out my little Cody's Mikie X Pop Fannie bitch, I expected things to happen. Desire and brains separated the really good, from the average. jmho

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

Different formats have different rules,and they score the dogs differently,Most people understand that and they know what style dog to take. Little Pack scores 15 second Checks,they allow a bigger check area. Progressive Pack doesn't have any time limit on Checks,they don't allow a big check area,so when I go to either one of these formats I know my dog will be judged as such. The judges are there to see as much as possible an score the dogs according to the rules,if I take a harder hittin rougher style dog to PP and I don't do any good then that's my fault,if I take a slower conservative style dog that's not willing to reach an gamble a little bit to LP and I don't do any good then that's my fault,not the judges not politics,nobody to blame but myself.
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out

db215

Post by db215 »

LaMarr knows what he is talking about, he has had some above average dogs at his house that would run in different formats, winning in more than one format in the same year. I purchased a 9 month female from him when he was going thru a hard time in his life that was a winner in more than one format, not just club hunts only but runner up in a big 5 hunt and Arkansas State Champion on the bench the same year, before she did this LaMarr told me she was going to do something big in the hunts and she did, won more than any other dog to date that I have owned. By the way LaMarr, missy is now 13 years young and is still running rabbit at my house, not as fast, not as pretty but can still get the job done!! Still love her to death. LaMarr knows his dogs and he does have some good information to share if you will listen. If I remember, we also owned a dog together one time that turned out to be a pretty good dog but only in little pack.
Let's go run them!!!

db215

Post by db215 »

SR Patch,
You sure bring back memories from a trip a long time ago when I ended up out in the middle of no where in Indiana at a black foot or black something kennel and got to see Cody's Sharp Mikie and Pop Fannie run a rabbit, I was there to purchase a puppy from the man (don't remember his name) and all he had left was a ugly little pup with one brown eye that was a runt if I remember. I should have taken that pup but he was soooo ugly and soooo small that I was just afraid he would be a pocket beagle.That was many moons ago! Your female must be getting pretty old!! After seeing her parents run I would say she is some kind of dog because they were!!! What I seen that day was Mikie was a little faster and rougher and Fannie was by no means slow but a bit slower and ran the track more. They both were great and if I remember both were HOF.
Let's go run them!!!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Yes, you were at Blackfoot Kennels. I had Bredemeir as my neighbor to the north and Joe's Blackfoot kennel to the south, I got to see alot of good hound run the coalmines. Billy and Joe would load up the crates in the wagon and be gone for weeks hitting the trials, they loved their hounds and the competition.
My Fannie bitch has been gone along time, but she showed and taught me alot about a rabbit hound. The guys that hunted with her got to see what a true jumpdawg was, if you didn't walk her out on a leash you were going to keep running rabbits. Many times because i always had to work, I'd get to the field late. Others would be leaving as I was just getting started and say, "we've hunted that area out already", well Fannie would always find and run me rabbits, I always felt it a challenge to go in behind other hunters and run rabbits and Fannie was just the little hound to do it.
Joe would take Mikie, Crazy, Fannie and Pretty Lady and we would go run rabbits, boy what a time, or I'd go with Billy to the oil tanks with Apache, Tojo and a couple of their brothers and watch them catch rabbits. My buddy got a young hound from Bill Stone by Duke of Patch, boy what a nice hound he was.
Lots of good memories...