Advice

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

gun runner

Advice

Post by gun runner »

I have a hard hitting female that is a 1.5 old. She can circle a rabbit by herself or help a pack. She is breed really nice and When she grabs a check she will explode out of it like she was shot in the ass. She would do really well in little pack no question. But here is my problem she has a bad over bit, so in that case I do not want to breed her. I can only keep a few dogs at my home so I have to make a tuff call and cull. So i guess what i am asking is what is a fair price. Not trying to get over on people just want to be fair.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

sammiller03

Re: Advice

Post by sammiller03 »

First your definition of cull and mine are different. To me she would be a cull by my definition if she lived her and would not be passed on. If you plan on selling her I would make it cheap with no papers and the new owner had to spay.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cull

Have her spayed and give her away without the papers. Deal local to someone you know that's looking for a hunting dog and gonna give her a good home. If you cant follow the definition this gives you another avenue to follow. Be truthful to the folks and don't expect to make make a dime. Ive given away a few dogs that didn't make my standards for one reason or another but were still good dogs and this is the route Ive taken.

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

I am glad some of you guys responded to my post. It was never in my thoughts to make money on her, that's for sure. I believe in the truth and just wanted some option on my situation. The guy that breed her gave me a couple of chances to return her, so no fault on the breeder part. Just a life lesson learned in Beagleing . Sometimes you need to let got and start over.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

The dog has a fault.............all do of one kind or another.
That certainly doesn't mean the dog has to be killed ! I certainly agree that you wouldn't want to pass along a genetic fault into the breeding pool.
Tear up her reg. papers and sell her as grade.
She would be worth whatever a decent gun dog/rabbit dog would sell for in your area.
There is no reason this dog couldn't go on to have a long career as someone's hunting dog that has no interest in trialing or breeding.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

I agree with you Shadygrove beagles . She is a allgood dog just because she has a problem with her teeth don't mean she needs to die. If it wasn't because of her teeth she would be a $800 dog all day long . But it's not about the money I just thought maybe somebody starting out in beagleing or a youngster mighwant to good dog as a grade. I don't believe in passing on bad traits like that.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL