Kennel Smell

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

deerhost

Kennel Smell

Post by deerhost »

With the warm weather coming the soil under my above ground kennels are already starting to stink. I usually lime the hell out of it and I spray the soil with odoban or Pinsol but nothing helps. Would like to hear some feed back from you guys if you have tried anything new that really works. I've never used bleach for the soil under the kennel but if you guys use it, what is the proper ratio bleach to water?....dh

Damon

Re: Kennel Smell

Post by Damon »

I use creoline. Works great.

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

I agree with Damon creolin does great job for me
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Does tractor supply carry it?

Damon

Post by Damon »

Not for sure. I get mine at local feed store. Sure u can order it online.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

2 thumbs up on the creolin, i put in a spray bottle and mist it inside the kennels also. Plus just a word of advice, as a precaution make sure you wear elbow length rubber gloves, don't wanna get any on ya. Along with eliminating odors and a great disinfectant, it will eliminate most flying insects too, flies do not like creolin.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Thanks a lot Brothers! I will try it....dh

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

I don't understand. You spray the mist inside the kennel, but it is so strong that the person needs to wear elbow long rubber gloves to protect the person. How could it be safe for the dogs?

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

I don't wear any gloves when I use it I just spray it around and under my kennels no problems so far on me or my dogs
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

Budd

Post by Budd »

How much creolin in a gallon sprayer? And whats a good price on a 16oz bottle?

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

big w beagles wrote:I don't understand. You spray the mist inside the kennel, but it is so strong that the person needs to wear elbow long rubber gloves to protect the person. How could it be safe for the dogs?
The only reason I say use gloves is if you get any on ya the smell will stay on you for a while. Fumble fingers (me) accidentally almost dropped a new one gallon can once and the smell was on me for days. It's 100pct safe for dogs, many moons back they used it as a disenfectant for hospitals, so it's safe. When I mist the inside of the kennels it disenfects the box and will keep any flies from bothering the hounds.

Budd, I dump it in a container you attach to a garden hose. Spray in front of kennel area, the actual exterior of the kennels and behind the kennels. The container allows it to mix with the water as you spray. My container allows me to spray at different strengths. All depends on what strength works best for the time of year. You can also dump it in a 2 gallon hand sprayer and apply that way.

Not sure on prices today, bought 5 one gallon cans years back and still have some. A little goes a long way.
Last edited by likeemfast on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

OK, now I understand the use of rubber gloves. Thanks.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

The smell of the Creolin WILL hang on a loooooooong time. Back in 1990 I had a bluetick coon hound pup shipped in from Illinois. He came with a big bonus. He was loaded with coccidia. At the time I had 4 adults and a litter of 6 puppies. I freaked out and washed my entire kennel down for days with bleach and washed every dog house out with creolin several times. One of those houses I still have in my kennel at my camp. 26 years later when I open up the top of that box and clean it out I get a good whiff of creolin. It works but be aware that smell hangs on. It doesn't bother me or the dogs when they are there but if you are using it on wood the smell will hold on.

big creek kennel

Post by big creek kennel »

I use Odoban from HomeDepot it's a scented
antibacterial cleaner that's works great its
sold by the gallon for around $7.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

Budd wrote:How much creolin in a gallon sprayer? And whats a good price on a 16oz bottle?
Budd I just ordered one off of ebay for $15. I see they have a chart on the side of the bottle telling you how much to use per gallon. I think it was a 1/4 cup per gallon if I remember right but none the less it was on the side of the bottle. Its my first time using it too so we shall see.

For you fellas with cement kennels do you spray it on and then hose it off or just leave it on the cement to dry?
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady