Kennel Smell

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitatfarm

Re: Kennel Smell

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I am one "from the many moons ago" generation and if it's the same stuff, I can remember soaking my feet in Creolin when I stepped on a rusty nail. Doesn't sound like the smell has improved much.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Budd

Post by Budd »

I'm guessing it's the same stuff we used to disinfect our boots before entering the fairing house at the farm I worked on when I was a kid, smell I will never forget.

sgc

Post by sgc »

I think I used to use 1 part bleach to 10 to 15 parts water. I sprayed with a small garden/weed sprayer. I would take the dogs out of the kennels & put in the run all day. After a couple of hours after spraying I would soak kennel and ground down with the garden hose real good. Put dogs back in later at night. Never had smell. Hope this helps.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

rabbit chaser wrote:
Budd wrote:How much creolin in a gallon sprayer? And whats a good price on a 16oz bottle?
Budd I just ordered one off of ebay for $15. I see they have a chart on the side of the bottle telling you how much to use per gallon. I think it was a 1/4 cup per gallon if I remember right but none the less it was on the side of the bottle. Its my first time using it too so we shall see.

For you fellas with cement kennels do you spray it on and then hose it off or just leave it on the cement to dry?
Got 5 concrete kennels, spray down everything and just let it dry. I also fill a garbage can with warm water, add creolin and dip the hounds in it up to their ears. Nothing bothers them after that. There isnt anything you cant spray this on around the kennel, spray everything, hounds included.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

WildWonderfulBeagles

Post by WildWonderfulBeagles »

I use an old Windex bottle to spray on the creolin,like the others said a little will go a long way. As for use on concrete floors I hose off the biggest part of the mess then spray on creolin then hose off again. You won't have any problems smelling it even after you wash it out. Problem I have is I can't help from getting it on my boots so myself and everyone at work get to enjoy the smell wether they want to or not.

KILLNTM

Post by KILLNTM »

I believe I'd double glove if that stuff can linger 26 years!

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

Sweet PDZ

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I tried the Odoban from Home Depot and it does not work for me. It just mixes in with the kennel smell and makes it smell even more vulgar....dh

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Andre
You will be happy with the results from creolin when you try that. I have tried others, IMO there is no other alternative to using creolin and others from my experience do not keep flying insects away as creolin does. It is definitely a unique aroma, not offensive at all.
Home of

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Thanks likeemfast. I ordered a 16 oz bottle from Amazon and got it today. It cost me $18.53 shipped. I mixed the first batch today stronger then regular at 2 tbs per quart, so I mixed 8 tbs in a gallon. I dropped about 1/2 tbs on my garage floor because I was lazy and didn't want to go outside and let me tell you this stuff is no joke. My garage will not smell the same for a while. I haven't tried it under my kennels yet because we are excpecting rain but I have a gallon all ready and will dilute more after the first application....thanks for the help. Dh

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Imagine how many nights I had to sleep on the sofa when I spilled it all over my hands.
Home of

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Ha.....LOL!!!

packmaster

Post by packmaster »

after reading this post I ordered a bottle,and mixed 3 tblspoons per quart,and put in a garden sprayer.sprayed down kennels,under kennels.and around kennels.All I can say is Wow! This stuff works amazing! Really appreciate all the tips and knowledge I have learned off this board over the years.Makes owning hound just that much more enjoyable.Thanks again guys!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I mixed it strong the first application as the box instructed. I used 8 tbs to a gallon of water in my spray tank. I then sprayed under and around all my kennels. After I sprayed it I got worried because the smell really filled my intire yard. But by the next day the smell of the creolin was not as strong and it literally killed all the kennel smell. I then mixed up my next batch using the ratio of 2 tbs per gallon and sprayed under the kennels a few days later. At this ratio the smell is still plenty strong but is a little easer to bare. The creolin does not mask the kennel smell, it actually absorbs and destroys it and after a week or so I actually don't mind the smell of the creolin itself. It's the only thing I've ever used in a life time of owning and running dogs that has ever worked. Thanks again for all the help.....dh