Lyme's disease

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

span870

Lyme's disease

Post by span870 »

Anyone have a dog come up positive? Just had one come back from the vet and he's positive. What am I facing as far as future running?

Budd

Re: Lyme's disease

Post by Budd »

Start him on Doxycycline and run him tomorrow. I've treated more dogs for it then I care to remember. Lost one and cant prove it but I'm sure a female that had it twice went sterile from it. I've also had it twice myself.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

What were the symptoms you had it budd? I got treated for it last year but it wasn't proven I had lymes !

Budd

Post by Budd »

First time I caught it rite away, found the tick with the bulls eye ring around the bite mark, went to the doc and they never tested me, just put me on Doxy. Second time hit me hard, final straw that sent me to the ER was when I had to get down on my knees and take a break walking from my house to the garage (25ft). During the night I would get the chills bad and my wife would change bed sheeting in middle of the night because I was sweating so bad. Still after 3 years my joints and forearm bones ache. Getting better but not completely gone yet.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

I got bit 4 times by ticks last year and had bad itchy rashes but not bullseyes, blood test was negative for lymes & doctor wanted to test again but I didn't.
my knees stiffened up so bad that I couldn't hardly walk they treated me for lymes and in a couple of weeks I was walking fine.

VA Jim

Post by VA Jim »

My female came up positive 1 yr ago and treated, had to put her down 2 weeks ago due to kidney failure. Vet said side effect of lymes. Hope it works out better for you.

PAB

Post by PAB »

I had a male diagnosed with lymes 2 years ago. He was running slow and letting the other dogs run way ahead of him, which wasn't right for him. He always was more competitive than that. The vet put him on tetracycline ( I think) for 30 days. He pulled out of it just fine and is performing as well as ever. He needs 14 pts. to finish AKC F.C.

PABeagler

Post by PABeagler »

My dog contracted lyme disease at 11 months of age, and the vet said ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RUN HIM FOR AT LEAST A MONTH. Damage to the joints will occur at that age.