Running pen 2-3 acre for started pups?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Tom Ingram

Running pen 2-3 acre for started pups?

Post by Tom Ingram »

Anyone close to Marietta, OH have a starting/ running pen for young dogs that's started?
Must have some cover in there, don't want just sight chasing.
I have some pups that's using there noses at night running by scent but need more time in bunnies before they go to the wild. I don't have enough bunnies to keep a young one interested.
Any help would be appreciated..... Thanks

outrider66

Re: Running pen 2-3 acre for started pups?

Post by outrider66 »

I have heard theres a guy with a 5 acre pen by Parkersburg . i don't have any contact info but it might be worth looking around over there !

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Tom,

Ive started many pups in the wild that were not as far along as yours and not very many rabbits. Pups learn a great deal in the woods in addition to running rabbits. If they are already using their nose thats a good sign, putting them in a small enclosure full of rabbits at this point will only harm them. If you have the time I would encourage you to just get them in the woods and you might be surprised.

Just one mans thoughts, good luck with your pups.....
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

JHW929

Post by JHW929 »

Craig Wilson in between ellenboro and Parkersburg. Just picked a pup up from his 4.5 acre pen last night
Josh Ware