Summer time food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

cmdawson5

Summer time food

Post by cmdawson5 »

Just wondering if you guys switch your foods in the summer because of the heat and not ran as hard I feed proplan in the winter thought about switching to somethen in the summer with less protein just would like your guys input thanks

jerwane

Re: Summer time food

Post by jerwane »

I feed the same food year 'round, just less in the hot months.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

At ROWCO WE KEEP RUNNING IN THE SUMMER BUT WE CHANGE 2 THINGS. WE CUT BACK ON PROTEIN AND THAT SEEMS TO HELP THE DOGS WITH OVER HEATING. WE TEND TO FEED A LITTLE LESS. ALSO WE BUT IN SMALLER QUANTIES BECAUSE WE DO NOT LIKE TO KEEP THE FOOD IN THE BARN TOO LONG IN HEAT. BOBBY

Oak Hollar Kennels

Post by Oak Hollar Kennels »

i feed the same feed year round just less during the summer.

cmdawson5

Post by cmdawson5 »

I feed the same as well year round and run in the summer just though it might be better on a dog to feed a less protein food

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

What percent of the protein in dog food is digestible?

I feed a raw diet that is 100% protein all year around and never have any health issues associated with it. If your dogs are getting sick from the food it's not because they're getting too much protein but likely the chemicals and waste products combined with the fact that kibble dehydrates a dog. It pulls a great deal of water out of the dogs system to process severely dehydrated kibble. I run as much as anyone in the summer....following that line of thinking mine would overheat before they jumped off the tailgate.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly