FLAVOR OF THE MONTH

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

outrider66

Re: FLAVOR OF THE MONTH

Post by outrider66 »

YA I know ! some International field champions too ! Like Reggie

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I've seen some good Reggie dogs. Chester, Lucky, Switch, Ohio Reggie,etc. I think he has produced 11 Mid-West FC's so far.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Reggie put nose in em !

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Brian
Are you just joking around or what? Asking if Samurai is any good? I know you've bred at least two of your females to him and you regularly speak highly of that blue male you've got out of him and Belle II. Jonah speaks highly of the male out of your Branko female x Sam that he has.
I wouldn't put a price on my Josie female out of Sam x Belle II.
I've run with Sam and he is a FOR REAL rabbit dog.And yes,he is just one of those "backyard legend" hounds I guess as his owner cares nothing about the trialing aspect of beagling.
For a "backyard legend" Sam has been bred to quite a bit and I'm sure Jonah would have no problem giving you numerous references on people that have gotten pups sired by Sam.
I know I've spoken with half a dozen guys from Ohio to Louisiana that are VERY happy with what they are running out of Sam.
WAIT A GOSH DARN MINUTE !! I don't know if any of those guys were TRIALERS!! Maybe they don't really know what they are talking about !! I MAY HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE !!
Quick,somebody post something.I don't know what to do !! Maybe these dogs I'm keeping out of unknown or little known studs are really not as good as I know they are???
As the Beatles once sang...... HELP me if you can I'm feeling down and I do appreciate you being round.HELP me get my feet back on the ground......

Flavor of the month ? Make mine Cherry Garcia.Two scoops please !
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Hec I don't know ! wells woods mentioned him as flavor of the month but didn't now his pedigree ???? I was just joking I got 2 litter mates to Josie they are good rabbit
dogs ! I could write a full page ad on Sam but I wont ! I think hes as good as any thing out there as far as reproducing !!! ill have 2 scoops of chunky Monkey pls !!!

RDN61

Post by RDN61 »

Stay calm Shady Grove! Sam is indeed a back yard legend, however I am aware of a couple of big time trialers who have seen Sam run and told his owner they could finish him easy. I have had several pictures of rabbits stacked up on a tailgate that were put there by Sam and his sister Maggie. That is the only trophies his owner cares about. He has been bred more than some field champions and some have been bred to him multiple times. Most if not all are rabbit hunters. I am almost 70 years old and been running hounds since I was a young boy. I have seen good and bad and owned some of each. Sam and Maggie are for real rabbit dogs.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I was just pointing out that outrider always downs the Mid-West & trial dogs & how they can't run a rabbit, no nose, etc. & his own bloodline comes from Mid-West Field Champions. Sam is not a backyard bred dog, he's out of a 5 time Mid-West Sire of the Year.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Field Champions are the ones that are going to get the attention because the owners of those dogs prepared them for trials and put them out there for EVERYONE to see. That is a two edged sword....if a dog has a bad day, everyone sees it, if they kick butt all day everyone sees it.

While Im certain some of the best dogs in the country never get entered in a single trial the owners have no right to be sensitive about it....thats on the owner not the dog. I understand, not everyone has the time, money, or desire to run around the country attending field trials. Truth be told I don't really care for field trials...... I would rather run dogs all weekend. But I do go judge a few trials to see what the "flavor of the month" is and talk to a few fellow beaglers.

I don't think the non field trialers realize how much crap some of these guys go through finishing dogs. Everyone nit picking away at their dogs week in and week out. Stirring crap on the internet about how they saw FC so and so back tracking and how much better their dog is.

At the end of the day if you want the fame for your dog you must compete and take the good with the bad. If you think there is more bad than good don't go like me, but if you have any integrity, don't pee in the cheerios of those that put in the effort.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Dave makes some valid points from experience in the trials not just internet jibberish....

Let me clarify my statements for those that took parts from context...."back yard legend"....the one everyone talks about but nobody goes to see run...maybe the owner won't show the dog in the field due to age or whatever reason. Maybe the owners "group" of followers have really spread the word on ol Joe and others have jumped on the wagon. Maybe the owner WILLINGLY SHOWS ol Joe and he is all as described(hopefully this is the case). If the owner of any female doesn't gather the information to know that is the dog they want to use...ex. SEEING IT RUN IN PERSON. OR its pups run in person. Then that is there own fault. Breeding is in NO WAY a guarantee with the two best hounds in the country involved(being those hounds are the style and family you like)...they can still produce a bunch of culls.

In the case of others....they saw the hound run, liked the results, and bred to it.....I would and will use a dog I see in person if it is not a titled dog....it would have to meet what I liked or it would not be used regardless of titles or not.... Seeing an example of it would be the sealing of the deal. Seeing the pups work would further solidify my choice.

My stance on titled dogs is still the same. They have proven there abilities by comparison to a peer group and succeeded. It is undeniable that they have been liked and disliked by some. It does show they can perform. Will they produce...WHO KNOWS until you try....BUT they do have the field skills as indicated by the title.

Does that mean they are the hardest and best in all areas...HECK NO....but they have succeeded at some...

Some prove there worth when given the opportunity(whether titled or not)....others are just talked about and become "back yard legends"......maybe even to the elite status of "flavor of the month".....

This will go on for years....when people have choices there will always be debate.

Good running to all!

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

WELLS WOODS you need to go back and reread my posts ! Iam not the one who got off topic ! fact is I am all for trialing but iam not going to get on this board and
sound like a salesmen for any format! including the mid-west format. theres other posts on here that say 5-7 min. half circle races and no rabbit seen ! go attack them !
for not being with the establishment ! Iam just a rabbit hunter & I know my dogs will not suit everyone ! and yes I have bad days too ! I think the constant bragging about
how the mid-west is far superior to any other format or type of dog on this board is totally arrogant & not benifical to the breed !! Iam sure there are plenty of darn good
rabbit dogs being trialed in mid-west but there are also many more that don't get trialed at all or get it in other formats ! me personaly I don't have too go to a trial to
see a good one run !!!! nuff said !

fastone

Post by fastone »

66 really ? You are ragging on Mid West again ? You told me your self you werent satisfied with your male he didnt have nose and wanted to see a FCGD run so I invited u to see Patience run ,told u to call on the worst day of that week and you didnt ,told u to bring your best :shock: Its not arrogance its confidence ,takes a lot of work and time to get one ready .
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

fastone wrote:66 really ? You are ragging on Mid West again ? You told me your self you werent satisfied with your male he didnt have nose and wanted to see a FCGD run so I invited u to see Patience run ,told u to call on the worst day of that week and you didnt ,told u to bring your best :shock: Its not arrogance its confidence ,takes a lot of work and time to get one ready .
YOU MUST BE HIGH ! DUDE

fastone

Post by fastone »

I dont appreciate your answer and you did say that .
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

I don't appreciate your post either ! I told you that dog out of tuna I had couldn't smell his own fart if he had his nose under his tail when he farted ! ive talked to
some folks that said you knew he couldn't produce nose ! but I read all your posts about how great they were and decided to try one ! and also I never asked to run
with your fcgd ! you got on here and offered it ! its like you think cuz you go out and buy some dogs your going to show the world something they never seen !
that's too funny bro ! I hope what you got now can match up to tunas great reproducing power so you don't have to switch bloodlines again ! I don't want to run
with ya ! and ive heard enough about you that I don't even want to know ya ! so quit twisting my words that's not cool !
t

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

So are Mid-West trials promoting quality FC's or was the Sam dog from Reggie one of the rare ones that can be used for hunting in tough conditions in your opinion? I wish you good luck with your dogs, but if you want to prove you have the best, you need to compete against the best. Our judges know hunting dogs ; they know a good dog & will give it what it deserves. Some people just can't handle the pressure of competition & that's all right, but no need to bad mouth something you know nothing about.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo