FLAVOR OF THE MONTH

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mn_beagleboy

Re: FLAVOR OF THE MONTH

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I don't know a lot of other field champion but the 2 field champion I own are very nice rabbit dog. I used to believe the trash talk about trial dogs until I go and see it for myself. All I could said is I saw some of the best dog I have never seen before. The trash talk that trial dogs are lazy, fat, rough, no nose power, me tooing, mouthy, faulty, and etc were all false comment from people who just don't like the format. Guys that trial run their dog hard. They know how to run their dog to win and what it takes to win. Trial dogs are no joke. You will see some that you don't like but you will see some that you will breed to.
Minnesota Beagler

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

sparky wrote:I didn't say the trial only runs for 3-4 hours a day,I said the Winners Pack runs for 3-4 hours. An AKC trial usually starts at 8am an normally isn't over til close to dark,they run a first series,then a second series,sometimes even a third series,then they run the Winners Pack,but you wouldn't know these things.

I never said it's better to breed to field trial hounds,it makes no difference to me what folks choose to breed to,it's haters like yourself that talk negatively about people breeding to FC's.

You keep repeating what you have heard or read,that's called "hear say" or "second hand information" Kinda like spreading rumors,that usually don't mean much to most people, but since you like to repeat an point out the few negative things that you've heard or read on here,why don't you repeat or point out any of the many positive things that have been said on here about field trials? You pick out a few bad things an run with it,why is that?
Spanky, you take one line out of my whole post and want to pick a fight and make it all about your beloved midwest trials. I ran midwest one time under Johnny New probably 25 yr ago. It was fun to learn how it differed from LP. but at the time it seemed to me they wanted the hounds to anchor on the check to long and waste time. There were some shale flats out on the coalmines that won't hold scent, no hound could work the track across them as the sulfur smell covered all scent. Smart rabbitwise hounds were ordered up because they reached across to the other side to regain the line. They wanted hounds to work the gob to not leave a hole in the line but it became obvious no hound could lift the scent and those that reached were gone with the track but ordered up for reaching. Maybe they were over emphasizing what they were looking for to make a point to us but all it lead to was lost rabbits as the ground was to foiled to track over by what was left down to run.
This is just my opinion, i'm no hater, others like it or maybe things have changed.
You tender foots need to not wear your feelings on your cuffs so much.

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

outrider66 wrote:Putting a long hard season on a dog solo will tell me more about a dog than any rule book can imo. How else do you know what you have ?????? I wouldn't be afraid to bet
that theres some fc out there that I would breed one of my females too . but I bet theres even more I wouldn't breed too. just because someone has or purchased an fc doesnt
mean I would like that dog if I hunted him or her every day ........... ever think about that ????? It seems to me that most guys on this board that are playing percentages
and buying dogs are saying that if you don't breed too a fc you don't have anything going on ! REALY??? ive heard don't breed to ole blue down the road ! ive heard breed
to an IFC &ive heard theres an army coming !! now I got to say I'm well aware of all the fc that's been produced by these kennels! the numbers are amazing ! but cmon
you got to spend time in the woods with your dog every day before you know what you got!
I wonder if a lot of these guys have ever raised a dog from a pup and hunted it
enough to finish out to be the best it could be ???? or if they just buy dogs ??? I'm guessing they dont spend as much time in the woods as some of us do !!!! and aint got
any better dogs than most of us !! me personaly I got just dogs ! run to catch type like many others do!!!!
I've bolded the key to having a good hound, and I don't know any "hunters only" that consistently run their hounds like those of us that hunt and trial. That isn't to imply that there aren't any in existence. If you want your hound to have a chance to succeed it must be prepared to do so. The cookie cutter approach to hounds has no measure with me. Some need soloed, some need braced, and some need not exist. Each individual hound must be judged on its own merit. I've seen hounds that could handle a pack from the front and/or from the middle. The one thing these hounds had in common was focus on pursuing the rabbit, not controlling pack mates.

I'm incapable of critiquing the "game" of soccer due to the fact that I have no experience playing the game. I have watched my children play, but that hardly certifies me to speak intelligently of the matter. Even if I had played a game or two, my knowledge would be limited at best. Likewise, I'm certainly not going to sit here and say that there are no good hounds tied to a chain in someone's backyard, never to be seen by the public. I will, with confidence, say that your chances of witnessing a topnotch beagle perform in the field is greater at a trial. The number of hounds and the hours of training being the biggest factors. The criticisms handed out on this board by individuals with little or no experience are ridiculous, and certainly nullifies any knowledge of hounds that that person(s) may have, with me anyway.

Being humble is a quality that I admire, and I too find it discouraging when others mention that what they have is above and beyond anything else, and especially the inference of domination. I prefer to let the hounds do the talking and give credit where it is due. I think the Mid-West has been one of the most positive influential beagle associations in modern day, but what I keep in my kennel must satisfy me before I worry about any judges opinion. Bottom line, if I don't like it then I'm not feeding it regardless of field trial accomplishments or lack there of. If I don't like what I see at a trial, I'm certainly not getting on a public forum and complaining. At least not without strapping my boots on and signing up to judge. There are dogs that I personally don't think are deserving of their title, but downgrading someone's hound on a public forum isn't going to help mine run better.

sparky

Post by sparky »

SR Patch, I'm not in my feelings,and I'm definitely not picking a fight with you,but when you get on here an say some of the things that you've said then you should expect people to respond.

Pine Lakes wrote: I'm incapable of critiquing the "game" of soccer due to the fact that I have no experience playing the game. I have watched my children play, but that hardly certifies me to speak intelligently of the matter. Even if I had played a game or two, my knowledge would be limited at best. Likewise, I'm certainly not going to sit here and say that there are no good hounds tied to a chain in someone's backyard, never to be seen by the public. I will, with confidence, say that your chances of witnessing a topnotch beagle perform in the field is greater at a trial. The number of hounds and the hours of training being the biggest factors. The criticisms handed out on this board by individuals with little or no experience are ridiculous, and certainly nullifies any knowledge of hounds that that person(s) may have, with me anyway.
Well said.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Pine Lakes.............thank you sir for that thoughtful post. I'll always appreciate and respect a man who gives thoughtful consideration to what he says before it is said. It's obvious you are such. Words are harder to retrieve than they are to release. Perhaps our paths will cross one day.

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

sire dam list in better beagler- best flavor of the month list ever.........

fastone

Post by fastone »

Some live in a dream world :shock:
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

I got a super nice awful bawlin bred gyp for sale ! you can live the dream & be in the game ! for $2500.00 close & clean been soloed a bunch! 14.5 IN. :shock:

fastone

Post by fastone »

From what I gather you need to keep her.
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

rridzon

Post by rridzon »

Wow a nice bred Awful Bawlin bred gyp !Why dont you start your kennel with that gyp 66 ? Cant go wrong with this blood? My kennel is NOW full with it .Well said Sparky and Pine lakes :biggrin:

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

The biggest thing I look for in a flavor of the month is, (1)the owner doesn't keep a number of hounds from his stud, (2)when that stud dies, the owner is picking up a new stud of different breeding that is the new "cats meow" and is call for new bitches to "come get ya some", some even change their screen name along with getting the new latest greatest flavor of the month...in the stock market they call it "pump and dump"lol

Imho, Breeding better hounds is a life's work. You have to start with a solid foundation(family) and stay with it, use the tools wisely and have a gift of an eye, judgement(art) for selection.
I always enjoyed when Steve Cory was on here, he was an objective honest beagler and breeder. He and Butch Keene always raised good discussions, interesting and lively. I remember when he was trialing Ranger Dan and how much he liked him, but he was honest enough to warn that you had to be careful what you bred to or getting to much Dan in the pedigree would bring you to much mouth. I respected him for being honest about one he liked so much but the reality was, he felt Dan had much to offer in breeding, but his experience had shown to close breeding could bring out a fault. He recommended breeding to a little harder hitting bitch with honest or some tightness with her mouth to offset the tendency of extra mouth.
Hard to find many guys that put the betterment of the breed first... but the truth is many of us are still learning... :nod:

Newt

Post by Newt »

S.R.Patch wrote:The biggest thing I look for in a flavor of the month is, (1)the owner doesn't keep a number of hounds from his stud, (2)when that stud dies, the owner is picking up a new stud of different breeding that is the new "cats meow" and is call for new bitches to "come get ya some", some even change their screen name along with getting the new latest greatest flavor of the month...in the stock market they call it "pump and dump"lol

Imho, Breeding better hounds is a life's work. You have to start with a solid foundation(family) and stay with it, use the tools wisely and have a gift of an eye, judgement(art) for selection.
I always enjoyed when Steve Cory was on here, he was an objective honest beagler and breeder. He and Butch Keene always raised good discussions, interesting and lively. I remember when he was trialing Ranger Dan and how much he liked him, but he was honest enough to warn that you had to be careful what you bred to or getting to much Dan in the pedigree would bring you to much mouth. I respected him for being honest about one he liked so much but the reality was, he felt Dan had much to offer in breeding, but his experience had shown to close breeding could bring out a fault. He recommended breeding to a little harder hitting bitch with honest or some tightness with her mouth to offset the tendency of extra mouth.
Hard to find many guys that put the betterment of the breed first... but the truth is many of us are still learning... :nod:
Patch that may be your best post to date.
Its scary. I didn't see anything that I disagreed with. :-o

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

Ya I will keep her but that's what I want for her ! I have several young females farmed out that are nice too ! that are blueticks that's what I like

rridzon

Post by rridzon »

$2500 ? is she a FC , if not good luck with that price .Sounds like if shes that good you should keep her I bet she has the nose you said your kennel lacks.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

rridzon wrote:$2500 ? is she a FC , if not good luck with that price .Sounds like if shes that good you should keep her I bet she has the nose you said your kennel lacks.
She don't lack any nose ! shes been run on hare in Vermont for the last 2yrs ! and the only thing my kennel lacks is dogs with no nose to run all season ! where did
you come up with I said my kennel lacks nose ? you are as creative as some of the others on this board with putting words in others mouths apparently ! I can set up a late
season hunt with her and your fc ! if you ever make one ! or we can just turn your dog loose if you prefer !!!!! it up to you , if you think a fc is far superior to anything out
there I think you are going to be shocked when you get into the real world ! kinda off the beaten path of the internet ! (clue) theres alot more going on in the real world
and alot of dogs & hunters you never even heard of!