FLAVOR OF THE MONTH

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: FLAVOR OF THE MONTH

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Mr. Patch You The Man, Top shelf, I been reading a lots,, some folks just Kill me, with what they have Yet to Lurn about a good Gun Dog ?

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

warddog

Post by warddog »

S.R.Patch wrote:The biggest thing I look for in a flavor of the month is, (1)the owner doesn't keep a number of hounds from his stud, (2)when that stud dies, the owner is picking up a new stud of different breeding that is the new "cats meow" and is call for new bitches to "come get ya some", some even change their screen name along with getting the new latest greatest flavor of the month...in the stock market they call it "pump and dump"lol

Imho, Breeding better hounds is a life's work. You have to start with a solid foundation(family) and stay with it, use the tools wisely and have a gift of an eye, judgement(art) for selection.
I always enjoyed when Steve Cory was on here, he was an objective honest beagler and breeder. He and Butch Keene always raised good discussions, interesting and lively. I remember when he was trialing Ranger Dan and how much he liked him, but he was honest enough to warn that you had to be careful what you bred to or getting to much Dan in the pedigree would bring you to much mouth. I respected him for being honest about one he liked so much but the reality was, he felt Dan had much to offer in breeding, but his experience had shown to close breeding could bring out a fault. He recommended breeding to a little harder hitting bitch with honest or some tightness with her mouth to offset the tendency of extra mouth.
Hard to find many guys that put the betterment of the breed first... but the truth is many of us are still learning... :nod:
Patch, I learned a lot about Ranger Dan when communicating with Mr. Keene. I stumbled across that line years ago and loved the hunt, speed, size etc. I hunted and breed just to replace what I had in my kennel and tried to get the blood crossed up like Mr. Keene recommended. Of course, I am not an experienced beagler because I do not trial them BUT as I have stated many, many times when an E.F. Hutton speaks, I listen. I have yet to find anyone packing a PHD in beagling BUT I am able to recognize a houndsman with the overall knowledge of what hounds are put here on earth to do in nature to be able to be the fittest to survive. The vast majority of those folks have concentrated on one line and NOT a flavor of the month. Seems there is nor has there been anyone that has been able to unlock the secrets of nature but there are a few folks that have been able to hone in on their line to be able to consistently put hounds in the filed that perform to the expectations that a beagler should have in mind. I suspect that bringing their desired game to the point of harvesting with the fewest interruptions or breakdowns in their pursuit would be the goal regardless of a man's individual taste.
Aubrey Holcombe wrote:Mr. Patch You The Man, Top shelf, I been reading a lots,, some folks just Kill me, with what they have Yet to Lurn about a good Gun Dog ?

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
I would love to be able to see what Daddy Rabbit has spent a lifetime with building into his hounds! My friend Sally liked them and I'm sure I would to!

fastone

Post by fastone »

Dont need any from u 66 Im already spoiled with rabbit dogs .In the game :eyes:
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

rridzon

Post by rridzon »

66 you own any FC'S ? You sound like u are angry are u not happy with what u have in the kennel or what ? You watched many FC'S run ?