young pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bear128

young pup

Post by bear128 »

Got a question looking for some suggestions . I have an 8 month old pup that has been started for about 3to4 weeks he does a pretty decent job but charges to the front a little more then I want . How do I get him to stop charging to the front or racing the lead dog for the front

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: young pup

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

If he is started and will run then I'd say he would benefit from some solo running where he doesn't have to compete with another hound or hounds.I believe you'll see a difference running him some by himself.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

bear128

Post by bear128 »

thanks shady thats what I'm planning on doing , it's hard I like hearing a couple hounds at a time

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I know exactly what you mean.I like to hear a pack run myself and never get too excited just running a single dog.I only keep 4-5 dogs and I just hate to leave anyone home.
Generally speaking,I don't do a lot of solo running but there are times like in your situation with a young dog that I believe it can really help make a difference.At 8 months old and just getting into the game I want that young hound to have the opportunity to figure out how to use those tools he was born with and develop them fully at his own pace.Running him with grown dogs,faster dogs,or dogs with superior ability won't allow him the opportunities he needs to do that.
It sounds like at 8 months old he's already got a lot of fire and is trying to be competitive with your lead hound/hounds.I'd be afraid that that could lead to him getting frustrated because he obviously wants the track but he might start flying around,swinging,racing,etc. just trying to be first any way he can.
I think the solo work will let him set his own pace and gain the confidence that keeps him dialed in to the rabbit and not the other dogs.Once he is dialed in on the rabbit his abilities are improving with age and experience/running his speed will increase too.
As always JMHO.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

bear128

Post by bear128 »

thanks shady I been running him with a lightly started 15 month old and I think they kinda race each other . I've noticed he doesn't swing but charges for the front not giving any off barks, he has to have the rabbit to bark but he will race with a dog that is barking . He snaps back really quick if he don't have the track when he has the lead . I'm going to give him some solo time tomorrow morning and see how he looks .
thanks again

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I've seen vast improvements soloing my dogs. I think it builds confidence. My 15-month old pup, I can run with my older male, because they both hunt independent of each other. I like being able to watch each one and see how they hunt and handle a track. It tales a lot of pressure off if they can take their time to unravel the track. Good luck!

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I believe in soloing a young dog if he is not getting enough work done in a pack and is just following the dogs around giving tongue but not getting any work done. Heck I solo all my pups for a period of time to get them to run there own track and let them learn how to work a check. But in my opinion what you have is a young dog that's wants the line to him self. If you solo him your just going to make him more independent. After you solo him and he has the line all to himself most times they get worse when you put him in a pack again. When I have a pup like that I run him with one or two clean and close older dogs. Every time he charges to the front they will kill him from behind and take the line from him. He will learn to be more carefull and not charge the front. He will settle down. That's my opinion from experience. I actually did more harm to an over competitive pup by letting solo too much.

Newt

Post by Newt »

bear128 wrote:Got a question looking for some suggestions . I have an 8 month old pup that has been started for about 3to4 weeks he does a pretty decent job but charges to the front a little more then I want . How do I get him to stop charging to the front or racing the lead dog for the front
Does this pup have the ability to circle a rabbit "solo"?
IMO, speed and competitiveness are born characteristics. Experience will improve his ability and more able to handle the front, but if he is competitive he will probably get more competitive.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

:check: deershot & NEWT
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

bear128

Post by bear128 »

not sure Newt haven't put him by himself yet but I've put him with a littermate and they circled rabbits a couple times he is more advanced then his brother who has only been started for about 9 days . I'd been running him with a young male who is green to . I'm going to try and solo all three this weekend if weather permits and see how they do. thanks for the suggestions

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I agree on that. The way a pup runs is in his genetics. He is going to turn into what is in his genes. Once the breeding is made it is out of a trainers and beaglers hands.