Deer breaking methods....

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dave404

Deer breaking methods....

Post by dave404 »

I read somewhere yrs ago where a guy done this with his pups . He started at an early age and hung an old leather glove in the kennel. he would use deer scent on it and hook the glove to a fence box. He would change the glove and use rabbit scent without the electric box.
sounds like it would work. has anyone ever tried this ???
my 2 Cobalt, Dino hounds have never run trash yet,and never been shocked from trash (hope they're naturals) and have come back several times when the young hounds hit trash.
A lot of hunters stay right on top of their dogs and say they're deer proof, but im not able to do that anymore(old age)
I believe i'll try the method above, maybe order a few tarsal glands and some scent.

adirondackjoe

Re: Deer breaking methods....

Post by adirondackjoe »

I don't think that will work. Does that deer scent from a bottle smell like a wild deer? I don't think so. Leave well enough alone until you have a problem when go to training collars. Sounds like your blessed with straight dogs. Why fix what ain't broke?

dave404

Post by dave404 »

Blessed with a few straight but im working pups that aint. I wandered if the bottled scent smelled different. u got a point there

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

everything used years ago to break dogs was before reliable shock collars- -- not many deer here - one trick ive done is to ride dirt roads after a rain and look for fresh tracks-- if they show any interest in those tracks i bump them with collar--- repeat a few times a month or a year --
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service