michigan dog training closing dates

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

overpass

michigan dog training closing dates

Post by overpass »

any one know if i can still run dogs on state land this saturday , the 16th . trying to figure this out ,what ive been reading over at the michigan dnr web page is that michigan dog training closes for michigan state land april 17 and closes for michigan private land april 16 . i;m i reading this rite or what. this closing sure bites for us non pen runners.

reddog1

Re: michigan dog training closing dates

Post by reddog1 »

You are correct, you cannot run on state land.however the Ionia state game area has designated training grounds where you can run year round. There other areas with designated training grounds. The DNR has alist of those areas.
A special dog training permit is not hard to get and the area does not have to be fenced in. It kust needs to be posted with signs every 150ft. Ive had one for 15 years

overpass

Post by overpass »

ok. thanks, looks like fridays the 15th is my last day for state land running . been seeing dnr about every week end in the area i run.

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

Here is a list I found of the areas you can run year round.

Michigan

Dates: July 8, 2015 through April 16, 2016

Details: On Michigan’s State Game Areas and Wildlife Areas, non-native birds (excluding pheasants) such as pigeons, chukars, and Tennessee reds, may be used and shot for dog training. During the closed dog training season, running dogs off lead, in addition to dog training, is not allowed. There are, however, state Designated Field Trial Areas—Highland, Holly, Ionia, Sharonville, and Lapeer—that are open to train and run dogs at during the closed season. Without a field trial permit, only starter pistols are allowed at these areas.

So if you can get to one of these areas you can run year round and you are not poaching. :D
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza