Judging at the world hunt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

db215

Judging at the world hunt

Post by db215 »

I would first like to say I appreciate the judging at the world hunt!! Every cast I went out on I believe was judged with fairness and honesty by young men that were willing to run their guts out for an hour for small amount of reward, many of them came out of the brush with cuts all over them and torn clothes. I did not see one sign of buddy judging the days I was there and that speaks volumes about our young judges today. I now want to give you a small example of the character of two young judges: I had a dog in one of the champion cast in the first round, there was a mistake made by one of the judges in the cast against my dog and time was called, in short I was apologized to and we cast the hounds again for the rest of the hunt. After the cast back at the truck both judges came to me and apologized again and I said it was okay. All there knew about the mistake and all I want to say is: all judges have only seconds to make a decision (right or wrong) I could have been real mad and talked about being cheated but I didn't because I learned some things from these two judges; they are human just like me and do make mistakes and they were both man enough to admit a mistake to me and also I seen a strong desire to be fair and honest to all the dogs in the cast. I would have no problem today having either one of these judges to judge my dog again!! My thanks goes out to these two judges and others like them that are willing to be fair and honest and also be used by all the rest of us in the hunt, we need more like them in the future for the sake of the hunt!! My hat goes off to you guys, keep up the good work!!
Let's go run them!!!

mike crabtree

Re: Judging at the world hunt

Post by mike crabtree »

I agree old buddy . We will load em up and try again next year .
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

db215

Post by db215 »

Mike,
It was great to see you, didn't get to talk much but I'm glad to see you in good health, hope you have a great rest of the year!! Will for sure get with you at the next hunt buddy!!
Let's go run them!!!

JCM

Post by JCM »

I was out in every round, either as a handler or as a spectator. I saw a lot of different judges throughout the World Hunt. It seemed to me like this year had the best judging overall that I have seen in over 20 years of attending the World. Thanks so much to the guys that give it all, many of them round after round. They make it possible for all of us. GREAT JOB JUDGES!

sparky

Post by sparky »

Good to hear, I don't run Little Pack,but kudos to good judging.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

AV Spencer

Post by AV Spencer »

I judged several rounds, handled, and just watched others.
I didn't hear one negative remark. I did hear good sportsmanship and fellowship.
I had a great time like always.
Until next time.

AVS
Run for Fun

jeremy rice

Post by jeremy rice »

thank you to all the judges. With that being said thank you to Mike Kleiber for dedicating his time to gather the judges to speak to them before each round. Mike you have been amazing over the years as the Master Of Hounds. For those of you that have never done it, It takes some time and at times seems like you are begging the judges. Judges thank you for what you do. The time you put in, the effort you give, and all the cuts bruises and Charlie horses you have to suffer. With out you guys and gals there would never be a hunt. It is much appreciated from all of us, and you all made this World a huge success.
RICE'S BEAGLES
Jeremy, Amy
Zack,Ashlee Rice

RAD

Post by RAD »

I want to apologize again. I hate to mess up and cost a dog something it worked hard to get. It's all about the hound and I cost your dog that day. I'll never be able to make it rt and I truly am sorry.
TRI STATE BEAGLES
EDDIE FREDERICK

No Fear In Their Eyes
No Quit In Their Hearts
No Respect For Their Own Body
(PMB)

db215

Post by db215 »

Rad, thank you again, all it shows is your good character and that you're not superman, just human! I believe you and your fellow judge done the best that you could and if that's not good enough than we are unfair to you guys!! All I ask is you and others like you keep judging and we will keep appreciating it at the hunt!
Let's go run them!!!

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I thought the judging that I saw was very good too. All I ask from a judge is to do the best they can. I've tried it and anyone who thinks it's easy has never done it. As one of the judges at our HOY run-off told me, you have to make a snap decision. If at the three-minute-mark, and the rabbit isn't produced, it's a minus, even if at three minutes and five seconds they are pounding it! Thank you to all who judged.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

If at the three-minute-mark, and the rabbit isn't produced, it's a minus, even if at three minutes and five seconds they are pounding it!
This is one example of where the trials don't let the hounds show their courage to persevere on finding rabbit. I'd rather they need to shorten the 30min no hunt rule to 1/2 and take that time added on to the time before a dead track is called or any minus is given. This would aid in judging hunt from both ends. jmho

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

It is the rules we play by. Even if we went to four minutes to produce, we would still have minuses. I have seen my dog pull sticks from a brush pile to get at a rabbit that won't come out and watched the "clock" run out with the judge standing right there. We all knew there was a rabbit there. It is what it is and it's the breaks. I have never seen a dog picked up for not hunting.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

If 6 hound can't find a rabbit in 30 min. in the honey holes they're provided, they should all be picked up. Ain't likely to many get picked up but I watch a pretty little open marked bitch wade through for 20 minutes with her owner and not the least bit of desire to hunt but boy could she run a rabbit once it was up. The pack saved her butt by 10 minutes jumping a rabbit for her to run...lol... this was in a champion class also.
I know the trials have rules to abide by, but still the object of the game is to improve the rabbit hound as a breed. Some of the boys that jump shoot might have like her to pick up the track after their misses...lol