Trials,The easy one or the hard one?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitearl

Trials,The easy one or the hard one?

Post by rabbitearl »

I ve been doing trials at my place for along time and seeing all the different trials out there. I ve always say. Rabbits will make any dog look good at trials. You a;lways hear.Plenty of rabbit in the running grounds. Now I do know it makes a trial run good with plenty of rabbits. But over the years of rabbit hunting I see more off game than rabbits and most of the guys I ve talk too spends a lot of time looking there dogs than rabbit hunting. To me I think its time to look at dogs in a trial that has more off game than rabbits. In other words Hard to find a rabbit, easy to find off game. Lets say a dog makes FC. But he got that in Plenty of rabbits. But what would happen. Not plenty of rabbits and in the first 30 min of finding no rabbit there goes plenty of deer or other stuff. Different Ballgame. I would love to see this kind of dog.

Field Trial Not many rabbits but lots and lots of off game.No e collar. Would you come to a trial like that? I would and love to buy a dog at the end of the trial if there any that lasting the trial.

I had to bring this up. A friend of my has no more dogs because of the off game dogs and he had a well know breed in his dogs that I see on this net ?

mn_beagleboy

Re: Trials,The easy one or the hard one?

Post by mn_beagleboy »

Field trial are for fun. If it is not fun, it is not worth going. There are beagles on deer and fox trial. Guys who wanna run deer and fox would love to attend.
Minnesota Beagler

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

I been Breeding gun Dog for a lots of years now ! Some folks will say that all Beagle will run deer or they can make them run deer. I don't wast my time trying to tell a person with that Mentality the difference!

All I will say if you don't try and breed around the Trash Runners, then you breeding lots of Trashy pups.

I can tell you lots of Trial hounds that rather run trash than a rabbit, but I just Keep that to myself, these days they, will ban a fellow on some web sight if you tall it like, cant't stand the Truth to be told !

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Newt

Post by Newt »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote: All I will say if you don't try and breed around the Trash Runners, then you breeding lots of Trashy pups.

I can tell you lots of Trial hounds that rather run trash than a rabbit, but I just Keep that to myself, these days they, will ban a fellow on some web sight if you tall it like, cant't stand the Truth to be told !
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
Good point, DR. PC has taken over some beagle boards as well as the college campus.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

It is not a dog problem it is a owner problem. The hounds that run trash do so because owners allow it. I believe it has the potential to get worse because of our upgraded electronics. Owners can turn hounds out and tell where they are without having to get in the woods to see what is happening . It is like kids in the other room you think all is well until you check on them and find they have paint all over themselves. You always must be watching.

Aubrey Holcombe

That is Exactly 100% True statement,, and that is Why I Do Not want to ever have to rely on the Electronics to tell me what I been looking at for over 60 years, Setting on the Tail Gate is for them City Boys and Girls !!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

warddog

Post by warddog »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:That is Exactly 100% True statement,, and that is Why I Do Not want to ever have to rely on the Electronics to tell me what I been looking at for over 60 years, Setting on the Tail Gate is for them City Boys and Girls !!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

I suspect that after looking at them dogs for 60 years you do not have to run behind them to be able to know what is going on either! After all those years, I will also bet that you can tell much about what is going on by hearing as well as seeing what is taking place while you are in the filed with the dogs. No way one can harvest a cottontail electronically or tell what the dog is pursuing. It does however show where the dog(s) are at any given time but has nothing to do with seeing what is actually going on. I have never hunted a rabbit by chasing behind the dogs and have laughed my back side off when I have been with those inexperienced hunters doing so. A cottontail rabbit hunt and a trial are totally different in that the more tromping around in the field people do the more cutting/turning of the rabbit they do, therefore taking the rabbit out of their normal mode of travel and in how the dogs would track it. Most hunters I know do NOT move very much after a rabbit is jumped and if so they know when and where to move to after seeing and or hearing the chase for awhile. They have the experience with their dogs to know a lot of time by their mouth and travel if they are hot on it or lagging behind having trouble. Of course when they take off red hot, wide open in a pretty much straight line, most know what is going on. Sight unseen but yet heard.

Aubrey Holcombe

Mr. Wartdog, I can tell by your writings, that you been there and Don that, when it came to the Ol gun hunting.. Yep,, we walk very slow. even take an old three legged stool to set on when the pack has one hot and heavy heading for a long hard race ! I always have "Cry Baby" "Horn" Plain Jane" "Pretty Boy Floyd" "Radar" just to name a few over the years that would come right back and tell me if it was Not a cotton tail or a big swamper..

Yes, like everything else Gun Hunting, has made a lots of Changes over the last 50 years. Not many cotton fields to gun hunt any more,, everything here in N.E.Ga. now days has these Huge Chicken Houses, 700 feet long and 100 feet wide, an they building more everyday, some have at least 5 or 6 and they, finished building 10 just out side the city limits, or Royston, Ga. Old Ty Cobb the base ball Hall Of Fame, that was buried here in the city cemetery would turn over, in his grave if he could come back and see what is happening..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

warddog

Post by warddog »

Yes sir, Daddy Rabbit I'm afraid those good ole days for us are long past gone. We also have the same things going on here in my part of the country BUT the houses are for turkeys rather than chickens right here locally. I know a lot about those poultry growing houses as I used to work for the USDA and inspect those birds when they were brought into the slaughter houses. You are in the heart of chicken country in GA as the south is loaded with them. We used to have plenty of stripper land when I was young which was grown up thick as well as up and down those ole knobs. I fella couldn't run behind dogs if they wanted to BUT those god piles reaching up to the sky made a fine place to perch ones self for the best seat in the house for the chase. Most of those ole strip mined areas are gone as well and have been reclaimed as man along with his industry move more and more into what we used to call the country. Today we have few if any family farms as those are corporations as well. I also believe that the dog owners have changed as the purpose for having them isn't what it used to be either. Even though we were poor BUT so was everyone else that lived around us as that was the norm we always had a good beagle among us. Everyone didn't own a dog as they could not afford to buy or feed one but my dad and uncles would go together and buy a good one and then pick up some younger dogs that may be free. We all went hunting to put meat on the table more so than sport. YEP, we competed back then as well but it wasn't about judging a hound it was about who bagged the most game with the least number of shells used! As a youngster it was an educational experience and it wasn't even about the dogs so much but rather learning from watching the older experienced hunters win the bragging rights of the most meat on the table with the least cost incurred with shells. Of course without a good dog or two that wouldn't have happened but they were nothing more than a tool in the competition of augmenting the food bill. I have seen many, many dogs over the years but the best one I ever saw was an all white registered, blind in one eye beagle that my dad and his brother went together and bought for $35.00. They bought that dog from a dog dealer we called him a dog jockey because he had been peppered with shot that put one eye out. When that dog opened it was a rabbit and it was either going in the game bag or in a hole, PERIOD. We didn't know a thing about style, speed, flash or any of the other things folks use to describe beagles now days BUT we all knew one thing about him, he was a rabbit dog. I wished I knew the number of cottontails that dog brought to the gun as a pickup truck tail gate would look like a needle in a hay stack. I suspect in this industrial age it would have looked more like one of those shipping warehouses with semi-trailers in and out. Of course back then bunnies were plentiful in them ole stripper knobs as well. Nice reminiscing with you D.R. as your post seem to always take me to those days when life was not such a big game and competition but more about mere living.

Aubrey Holcombe

Yes sir, lots of time my Daddy would give me just One (1) 12 Gauge shot gun shell and I take that old Steven singe shot gun and I had one beagle I call Bill. Was not problems for him to find me a rabbit and I had to make that one shot count!

Momma sure could take that rabbit and some rice and what a nice supper we three enjoyed. that was in the 50's and I was still, wet behind the ears but I still enjoy hearing a rabbit race to this, day I am 76, ride my Kubota RTV 900, and love ever time out.

Keep Looking up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

ray s

Post by ray s »

rabbitearl wrote:
Field Trial Not many rabbits but lots and lots of off game.No e collar. Would you come to a trial like that?
There is no way in hell I would drive 4 or 5 hours to run in a trial like that.
It takes a lot of game to sort through 3 series of beagles at a trial. That would be absolutely miserable!!!

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I've never been to a trial run in a pen, so I'll hold any remarks. I run Little Pack in the wild. Some days there are several rabbits that run well and other days it's hard to find one anywhere--just like hunting. Michigan just held there state hunt and out of 115 dogs I don't think we had one off-game race. I know guys who turn the dogs out and watch on the GPS from the tailgate or take a nap and use GPS to find their dogs in the morning. If my dogs are down and in the woods, so am I.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

There s a lot that would not go to a trial like that. but that's what I am talking about. A trial like that. Not that many dogs there so we want waste any time looking at off game runners. A trial were we really get down and look at a dog that's like it in the real world. Off game ever were not to many rabbits. That's how it is around my house. Now were I do my trials.Plenty of rabbits. No off game,but 90 percent of these guys don t rabbit hunt. There s just looking at the running part. But I ve always say.There something beside running a rabbit in rabbit hunting. I would love to see a trial like this. No rabbit jump in 30 min then off game ever were.

Who on here has a dog that you could put in a trial like this? No e collar. Very few rabbits and off game ever were?

DR I have dogs that die here never run nothing but a rabbit. So I believe. Had some that would run nothing but a rabbit but for some reason would not turn down that house cat.

DR that dog sure dose handle good too.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I don't run collars on my hounds during trials whether it be in the wild or in a pen.
Was in a LPH trial two weeks ago with my 2 year old female Mandy out of my Hammer X Bonnie, the pack took deer 2 or 3 times, she never went with once.
Judges told me she came back as soon as she smelled deer and went right back to hunting.
Haven't shocked a hound in over 13 years for trash.
With that said, I'll probably have a trash run tonight! :???:

AKC trials such as the ones following are all in the wild, no collars on my hounds in any of them.
EC Iowa trial
Central IN trial
MWBGD National Championship trial in KY
Coal Mine Challenge in Southern IN

As I have stated before, I don't have trial hounds, I trial my hunting hounds.

Now, would I intentionally go to a trail with no rabbits and an area loaded with deer?
Absolutely not, why would I waste my time and money just to prove what???

Aubrey Holcombe

To Show how much that I know about the Trials this day and time,, I Didn't Know that, you can run them with a S.C. on them in a Trial ?

Please ,tell me that is not Happening !!

Back to trial that has more Trash than rabbits,, I bet that the fellow that Posted about his female Not, running the deer, on several time, but came back to the Judges,, went Hunting,, I bet she will Jump a Rabbit in that Trial, where they say there is No Rabbits, I have seen that happen many time,, she will fine a rabbit if given the time, Real Gun dog, turn down the Trash all the time. Running House Cats is also trash I seen some young pups do that over the years. They can be broke from house cats..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>