top ten--in worst conditions--

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

snowshoehareguide

top ten--in worst conditions--

Post by snowshoehareguide »

i like the top ten hounds thread--i recognise a few of the names , ive been running dogs ten days this month---just about ideal conditions-- cool ,wet - ive noticed my best dogs in the winter are ok now but getting outrun by dogs i might leave home most the time in the winter---- so how bout a top ten in worst conditions thread-- - cold n snow here but might be hot and dry for you? - whats the best on the worst days ---
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

Newt

Re: top ten--in worst conditions--

Post by Newt »

Where are the field champions that have been talked about lately. Surely some of them can run in bad conditions. :confused:

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I've had a few to dig out and go run for the day and a couple that broke the snaps on their chain. I don't know if it's the vegetation or moisture but those are the ones the flies are eating their ears up on. The motor oil don't last but a day, so I gotta get to the farm store and get some fly wipe for horses to keep them at bay. Food consumption has cut way back in the heat, mice and birds are drawn in by any leftovers. I saw where blue buffalo was having a mold problem with their feed. Thank goodness I don't have to carry water any more, having the hydrant put in was almost as good as getting the new gas furnace 20 yr ago and not having to burn wood all the time...lol
It's good you have a mix of hounds that you can watch excel each in their own environment. I had a fellow call once who had a hound that could track in the worst conditions but it wouldn't venture out on it's own to make a start if the snow was chest deep, no hunt but a tracking machine. His patch hound had died so he was looking for another that would go find a rabbit to run. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that was the combo that worked best for him.
This may sound odd but I've seen a few who excelled on individual merit but were not the best contributors in a hunting pack. Kinda like this presidential season, is there any candidate you'd like to show up at your family reunion...lol

fastone

Post by fastone »

Ihate extreme cold and snow and extreme heat but I own 2 Fc that can run in the worst .
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

FC Higher's Winston Cup
Dead Branch Slugger
York's Little Mtn Sadie
FC Timberline Sweet Caroline
FC Church's Blue Bawls
FC Kane's Irish Beach Bum II

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

most of our dogs that we keep that hold things together in rough conditions are not the front runners this time of year. they look good but it is on ice and powder that the shine. I have been impressed with Jim halls hounds in rough conditions, we have a female out of northway, branko and maravicks blood that can get it done in any conditions and another that we had was out of branko's blue rider.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

go to youtube and look up Muskegon River Trial it is a video my son did a video in 2014 pretty crappy conditions . One of the packs of 15" males swam a half frozen creek 2x on the same rabbit .
Here is a link I hope this works. https://youtu.be/zrIcJFxch0o

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Crust and cold or hot and dry are our (Michigan) worst conditions. It takes a big nose on both conditions. Lots of minus score in LP if the other dogs can't smell and help the dog that opened.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

There were several Ranger Dan offspring that had exceptional ability in bad weather..... Green Bay Shooter and Stine time Ivy were two exceptional snow hounds. Green Bay Shooter produced some dandies ....

Hard tack Sparky is in that unique group....

I agree with previous comments.....supreme bad weather hounds are not the front runners except for bad conditions.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

I agree I've seen several offspring outta Green Bay Shooter and Butkus get it done in front of a pack In tough conditions.
The best Noses I've seen in Tough conditions have been bred outta Cadalac Jack or Foxy Freddy, extreme Heat, or Bitter Cold and Snow they can get it done regardless, even baby rabbits..It might not be pretty but if you see a rabbit they can run it.. JMO
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Prime Time & Syris MaGee ran harder & smoother than any two FC's I've seen in 90 + degree heat at S.WV. in September of 2001. Syris gained my respect that day. Moon Pie & Grace could run well in tough conditions also & didn't need to slow down much. Once in a lifetime dogs. Scott Music's Bella FC was nearly unbeatable on tough scent. Pacesetter bitch, IFC Tamarack could adjust to tough terrain the day I judged her. The great ones could do it no matter the conditions. There are a few FC's that I remember that had to have high scent to win because they either lacked nose or the brains to slow down. And also a few that needed tough scent to win because they had weak foot & couldn't keep up. Willis's Hard Hitt'n Hanna was a good one. 13" bitches, Peeka Boo & Rabbit Running Mollie could do it all any time; top five little bitches I've seen & ran against each other at most trials. FC Durham's Lily was great. A bitch that had 6 2nds behind Lily, Prime Time bitch, Bonnie Sue was great on tough scent. I watched her work out a check in second series that was 30 minutes old & given up on; when the pack caught her, she fell back toward the back of the pack, but the rabbit would have NEVER been found without her. I thought to myself, if these judges don't bring her back just for that check alone, I would be shocked. Well, I was shocked. When a dog keeps looking that long after the rest of the pack gives up & finds it, all I can say is "good girl" & "how much for her"? Back on track, FC Sunset Scooter, Top Gun Tyke, Balackie's T Rex & FC Pound The Ground Chance were great. One of the best all around dogs of all time was a 13" bitch from the 90's, FC Thomas's Sandy III. I haven't seen her equal 13" bitch & probably never will. FC Jump N Run Xena was close. Big males, FC Mountain Ash Dino, FC Abshires Junie & Showtime were great. Music's Blitz bitch was fantastic; Hoog has had top of the line bitches too; about 10 or so. Mark Brown of Ohio has had some legendary FC's. Mark Brown from Ky had Misty Kisses, a Northway Driver bitch that was tough. Prime Time's brother, Chimer was great too & FC Badger's Brush Bandit who ran against him often was a solid hound every time I saw him. R.B. Sester has had some great hounds. Night Train was as good as they came. More later.....
On really, really tough scent, KY's Mark Brown's Elk Creek Gentle George FC male ( forgot his name) had the best nose I've seen. If I lived in the North Pole, the desert or wanted to know if a rabbit had been somewhere 3 days ago, he would be my choice. Too much mouth otherwise. Still impressive to see a dog run a marked line on solid ice time after time when nothing else could get any scent to open on.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Probably the best hound in worst conditions [deep snow ,varying snow;ice,crust conditions and northern mid-winter cold temps.] would be my buddy Dan Lea's Reba female.
When Reba locks on to her hare she is relentless and can circle a hare multiple times through a totally tracked up cover with a never ending machine gun chop.Dan says she's the best snow hound he's ever run.
He'll also be the first to tell you that a hound with the superior ability to run in extreme conditions can sometimes make you [me] pull your hair in good scenting conditions.When I go up to New Hampshire in October to run bare ground hare she isn't the front runner.
I've had the opportunity over a 3 year period to run with Jonah Staten's Blue Samurai.It just has turned out that every time I've been able to get up to Ohio and run with Jonah it has been hot[80's-90's] and quite dry.Sam has been able to produce and account for his rabbit every time.
I owned a 13 1/2" female named Shady Grove's Ninja's Echo out of Knee High Little Man [full brother to Maravic's Blue Barry] x Shady Grove's Dixie Flyer [Ninja grand daughter].Echo possessed an excellent nose,had the patience to work out tough tracks and absolutely was the best to pick up those"tough/long" checks that saved a race.Every time !
I sold her as she was not footy enough to run with the other dogs I kept and was always getting pulled too hard and ran back of the pack.But she saved many a race that other dogs had given up on.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

He'll also be the first to tell you that a hound with the superior ability to run in extreme conditions can sometimes make you [me] pull your hair in good scenting conditions.When I go up to New Hampshire in October to run bare ground hare she isn't the front runner.

This is a very true statement.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I haven't heard from Mike for a while but it is said his little male from JumperXBunny is a line runner on the snow and ice. When he was a pup I saw him wheel barrow his brother Clem a few times on a drive. The odd thing I guess is he runs honest in the good conditions also.
I've always felt a hound should gauge and adjust to the ever changing conditions of each day. It is said a hound is born with the nose it will have, Weaknesses and age can make the mind go soft but a smart hound will not make himself a fool. jmho

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

I'm going to be thought a fool by many but that's OK. From my experience running hare on snow with beagles, which is where I find conditions to vary the most in the environs I run in, brains has about zilch to do with how hounds perform in regards to wether they can or can't run. I suspect if I ran in hot dry conditions I would feel the same. Hounds that excel under poor conditions do so because they are genetically predisposed to do so, not because they are smart and have learned to do so or been trained to do so. Hounds that have the ability to run in extreme conditions without some of the baggage that goes along with it are not plentiful. If they were nobody would be talking about them since everybody would have at least one.