top ten--in worst conditions--

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

snowshoehareguide

Re: top ten--in worst conditions--

Post by snowshoehareguide »

i agree with you hare chaser - sort of- what makes them good makes them bad- hounds are stubborn - they need to be- you want brains get a border collie or a bird dog - :D i had 2 beagles in 40 years and about 20 years apart that did thing i otherwise wouldnt know were possible- both of them were very easy to handle- naturally - seemed to want to please- yet tough as they come- they never stopped trying to catch a hare but didnt run faster then they could handle it--- very fast on a good day , walk if they had to - i called that brains i find that very rare- im still hoping i can find one more like them -
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

To me, kennel manners,handling and trash breaking is where the brains factor becomes most notable and necessary. I suppose the term biddable may be more correct than brains.

sparky

Post by sparky »

Correct use of mouth on track is also brains or lack there of in my opinion.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

fastone

Post by fastone »

:cool:
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

sparky wrote:Correct use of mouth on track is also brains or lack there of in my opinion.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what leads you to that conclusion. Not looking for an argument but I'm teachable and always willing to learn more.

sparky

Post by sparky »

A dog that gives tongue when they can make forward progress on a track is correct. A dog that blows holes in the ground or barks all over the place without making forward progress of the line is an idiot. That's my thoughts,I'm not trying to change anybody's mind,and nobody's gonna change mine.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

OK. Can't get much clearer than that.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Sparky, you get it. Do you judge any?
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

jdmart

Post by jdmart »

"A dog that gives tongue when they can make forward progress on a track is correct. A dog that blows holes in the ground or barks all over the place without making forward progress of the line is an idiot."

:check:

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Big nose without brains can make a babbling, backtracking, old line running fool. Big nose with the brains to handle it can make something special. Have seen and owned a few, but the kind I like are rare. Gotta have the brains to know if the track is hot enough to make forward progress on it to a jump, what is forward and backward and what is a line that has already been run. Special ones I have seen were out of different bloodlines. The best I have personally seen came out of Otterbrook Sam jr, Moneysunk Socket and Ratchet out of Sock it to me, Branko's Lumberjack, Sure start Spencer, Ninja and Shaker bred hounds. I'm sure there are others, but the few special ones without all the extra baggage i have seen came out of these. They could all run with good foot on bare ground also. No back of the pack runners in that group. I am always striving to come up with something that compares to those hounds. The search goes on.

sparky

Post by sparky »

WELLS WOODS wrote:Sparky, you get it. Do you judge any?
I have judged one licensed trial and a couple derbies,honestly I don't think I'm in good enough cardio shape to judge,so I try to field marshal as much as I can. I do enjoy judging,but if I don't feel confident in my ability to keep up with the dogs then I shouldn't be judging in my opinion,although I do believe I could do fine at a fall or winter trial,but definitely not a spring trial. I always keep a score card when I field marshal,if the judges ask what I saw I show it too them...Thanks, Chuck Hicks.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

From reading your posts, I think you would make a good judge, but you are right, if you are not in really good shape, there is no need of even trying. Lay off the sweets, run or jog every other day until you think you can handle it. It would be the best decision you can make as much as you seem to like the sport; getting to see all the great hounds run up close & personal is a giant reward itself. Good luck.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

the very few dogs i liked have very similiar pedigrees to the ones i dont---

i have the right ingredients wrong recipe-- :D

To me, kennel manners,handling and trash breaking is where the brains factor becomes most notable and necessary. I suppose the term biddable may be more correct than brains. -
--

yup --

Big nose without brains can make a babbling, backtracking, old line running fool.
yup i have a son out of shooter -im not sure if he has a brain--- he can cold trail a hare like a dry ground lion hound-- he isnt a bad backtracker but barks old lines bad when its tracked up -he sounds like hes about to catch when hes a half circle behind the hare-- he runs too good , several minutes behind--- he has as much drive or hunt as almost any ive seen--

-- i would like to breed him to a slightly better than average female--

if anybody wants to try an experiment let me know---
--

i know its crazy , right-- but think how many have been bred that cant handle tough conditions- its done EVERYDAY
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Big nose without brains can make a babbling, backtracking, old line running fool.
yup i have a son out of shooter -im not sure if he has a brain--- he can cold trail a hare like a dry ground lion hound-- he isnt a bad backtracker but barks old lines bad when its tracked up -he sounds like hes about to catch when hes a half circle behind the hare-- he runs too good , several minutes behind--- he has as much drive or hunt as almost any ive seen--

-- i would like to breed him to a slightly better than average female--

if anybody wants to try an experiment let me know---
--

i know its crazy , right-- but think how many have been bred that cant handle tough conditions- its done EVERYDAY[/quote]

So why not get radical. Since lack of brains is the issue here, wouldn't it make sense to breed this dog to the smartest female you can find? Poodles are one of the smartest dogs there is so why not try crossing your stupid, cold nosed babbling idiot to a standard poodle? I say standard poodle since that might also add some leg to the pups. Since you're just a gunner anyways and don't trial purebred should not be an issue. If the cross is successful, you may even be able to teach these pups to run silent until there about half a circle from coming across your path. The running would become much more efficient that way and not take nearly as long to get the hare/rabbit to the gun. Another plus would be that poodle hair is supposed to be non-allergenic so then you could possibly bring them into the house to live also. One more positive...........more $$ for the pups! Just look at what they get for Labradoodle pups, $1000 plus! Surely a good Beagadoodle pup would bring $800 or more don't ya think? If ya try this and it works, you just may have the smartest and quietest one way track driving rabbit dogs yet! A full funded retirement may be n store for you yet!!

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Or maybe cross them to a monkey that can climb trees & ambush the rabbits when they come through. Man, we are getting somewhere now.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo