starving a dog on high protein

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Don

starving a dog on high protein

Post by Don »

can High protien dog feed starve a 7yr old dog to the point of weight loss
and if this is true is a dog better off being fed something like Old Roy dog food or just table scraps :?:

Richard

Post by Richard »

I am no expert or a vet. I have heard that too high a protein feed may be hard on an older dog's kidneys. Could be you need to deworm the dog?

SouthernBeagles

Post by SouthernBeagles »

I had a dog that lost weight after changing her to a higher protien winter food. The vet recommended puppy chow for a couple of weeks because the protien is easily digestable. She was worked up and found nothing wrong with her blood, stool or urine. Some dogs are just more sensitive to diet change.

Derek Edge

Post by Derek Edge »

I am no expert neither, but I would definetly not feed my dogs table scraps. The problem with this is all the grease that is in our food, can be dangerous to our dogs. It causes their stool to be very loose, which as stated in an earlier post, can cause all kinds of problems. Another problem is that the dogs may get use to the table scraps, and then not want to eat their regular dog food. As far as the high protein, my vet told me that a real high protein diet would cause severe damage to the liver and kidneys over a period of time. I have always fed a 21/18 feed, which is made right here in my hometown. The dogs love it and I have never had one problem with it.
Introduce a kid to our sport, and you will have a friend for life.

Post by Guest »

I just lost a dog only a few years ago to high protein food. There is something to high that settles out in the urine and will cause bladder stones. They could not get the large stone out.

Kevin

edward young

Post by edward young »

TRY MIXING YOUR DOG FOOD / THE WAY I HAVE FOUND IS 50% DOG CHOW AND 50% HIGH PRO AND IN THE SUMMER MONTHS I FEED STRAIGHT DOG CHOW WITH A CAN OF OL ROY MEAT AND GRAVY ONCE A WEEK . AND I DONT MEAN ALL I FEED THEM IS ONCE A WEEK I GIVE THEM OLROY MEAT AND GRAVY ONCE A WEEK. AND MY PUPPYS I FEED THEM PURINA PUPPYCHOW UNTIL THEY ARE 6 MONTHS OLD IT MAY BE HIGH MONEY WISE BUT IT WORKS FOR ME THEY STAY GOOD AND HEALTHY

HOPE THIS HELPS
THANKS EDWARD YOUNG