The best bloodlines for hare!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

freestyler

The best bloodlines for hare!!

Post by freestyler »

Looking for the best bloodlines for hare (only) with extreme speed,hunt.
Dont need best line control,just burn the hare and bring him to the gun!!!
So ........ PRIMETIME ??PATCH??FOX CREEK??BRANKO??NORTHWAY??OR OTHER??I JUST NAME A FEW !!!

WELLS WOODS

Re: The best bloodlines for hare!!

Post by WELLS WOODS »

IFC Cedar Beck Oliver seems to be producing some great FC's in the LPH trials. He throws the hunt & speed you are looking for. He is an outcross of a Pacesetter/ Heli-Prop bred male & a dam with Northern MI legends, Paycheck, Texas T & Schnapps in her background. Oliver also has about 6 littermate sisters that are LP FC's. Good luck.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

I would have some Mr bill, nicks buck in it, big nose bred for cold weather

Rowlison2820

Post by Rowlison2820 »

jnk shakin shep

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

gfedor
I would definitely agree with you as to "big nose" and a history of making good snow dogs in regards to Mr. Bill and Nick's Buck.No argument there.
BUT,freestyler stated he was looking for a blood line and I quote "with extreme speed and can burn the hare".Those are not descriptive phrases you would use with the two hounds you mentioned.
There's probably no one mentioned on this board that lives farther north and in prime hare country than Branko Krpan.I don't think many would question if Branko's dogs have enough foot or bottom when it comes to running hare.I would give him a call.
There's several guys from up in Wisconsin that post on this board fairly regular and have posted a bunch of videos of their dogs running.Check them out.Looks like they have some nice hounds.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

freestyler

Post by freestyler »

Oliver and branko.yes mid west style.I've heard patch are super fast but lil bit trashy.is that correct ?iam thinking for primetime too.wells wood?

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey freestyler
Hope you have success finding what you're looking for.
You made a comment in regards to Patch hounds quote"I've heard Patch are super fast but lil bit trashy"
Now let me say right up front,I've never owned a Patch hound or one with any Patch dogs in it's background and I've no experience either first hand or through hearsay about them being trashy or not????
I have heard though of folks saying they are fast [very fast?].Now I know that there has been a bunch of fellows breeding"PATCH" bloodlines around the country and in such diverse places as Oklahoma,Michigan,West Virginia,Tennessee and New York state to name a few.It would stand to reason that each of these houndsmen would be breeding their particular"PATCH" hounds to their own specifications so to speak.Some may want a "windsplitter" and others one much more conservative.
When I was trialing regularly there were two fellows that came to all the trials and both of them were 100% Patch guys.I ran with another guy who was always buying dogs and he bought 3-4 Patch dogs that I got to run with quite a bit.
Not knocking these dogs in any way but...........they were not what I'd call fast dogs.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Prime Time should have the body & heart. I don't know of much of his blood in Michigan other than FC's Wango Tango & LaLa owned by Nick Birmingham. John Dewyse had Prime Time in Michigan for a while & let him run loose most of the time on his place. He said the dog never quit; he would be so tired, that he would be walking the track, but wouldn't come in. He comes from hare blood, so it should work. Oliver's grandanm, Amazing Grace is a littermate to Prime Time's mother, Moon Pie.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

freestyler

Post by freestyler »

I don't want to offence patch line or any line.I have them in my view but in my place we run only in wild with a few hares and a lot of deer and foxes.yes I have alpha but..

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

If you properly train your hounds I doubt you will have trash problems. Big fast males are more susceptible to running trash. Packs that are not monitored and allowed to run deer several times before they are broke can be a challenge. Making broad generalizations with bloodlines is over rated. Go see individual hounds, packs and litters run. Go see them run in the geographical area you live in during the conditions you plan to run and start there.

One mans idea of fast and hard hunt is often different from one man and one region to the next. Having run a good amount of cottontail and hare I looked for different things as pertained to hunt. Cottontail hunting I expect dogs to stay in think brush and work pretty close 20-50 yards. Hare hounds to need to swing out wide, cover large areas quickly....100-400 yards. One is not better, just different for intended purpose. I run both with same hounds but if you only plan to run hare wide searching dogs will serve you better.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

freestyler

Post by freestyler »

mybeagles you have right!yes wide.what line with that style comes first in your mind??

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:gfedor
I would definitely agree with you as to "big nose" and a history of making good snow dogs in regards to Mr. Bill and Nick's Buck.No argument there.
BUT,freestyler stated he was looking for a blood line and I quote "with extreme speed and can burn the hare".Those are not descriptive phrases you would use with the two hounds you mentioned.
There's probably no one mentioned on this board that lives farther north and in prime hare country than Branko Krpan.I don't think many would question if Branko's dogs have enough foot or bottom when it comes to running hare.I would give him a call.
There's several guys from up in Wisconsin that post on this board fairly regular and have posted a bunch of videos of their dogs running.Check them out.Looks like they have some nice hounds.
Agree. I did some line breeding back in the 1990s with branko northway cross. They where meat hounds , run all day , run to catch, relentless on the rabbit. I went to a more med plus line, fell in love with the mr bill stuff for nose power especially late in the season here in the notheast. I added flatcreek, kalagha to it and for a decade or 2 I had some top notch rabbit dogs.
But , if I wanted truly hare hounds, I would look into branko maybe a proven line crossed up with them. Good luck, hare hunting is a blast , for me maine was the only place I ever went to, and it never disappointed.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

BRIGHT SPIRITED BUDDY MAKE GOOD HARE DOGS THEY SAY AND COTTON TAIL DOGS I KNOW FIRST HAND
BIGDOGPACE

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Personally I would contact Dan Johnson in Wisconsin. He makes really good crosses with the best hare bloodlines and typically just runs females. I think you could get some 15" male pups from him that would fit the bill.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

freestyler

Post by freestyler »

mybeagles wrote:Personally I would contact Dan Johnson in Wisconsin. He makes really good crosses with the best hare bloodlines and typically just runs females. I think you could get some 15" male pups from him that would fit the bill.
yes good choice