dogs banging legs on collars-

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hare Chaser

Re: dogs banging legs on collars-

Post by Hare Chaser »

Guess if I was running hounds on bear and/ or other big game I'd do the same as you and run the beeper collars too. Mostly because the battery life is exponentially better. Also, if I had been having the issues you have been having I would do what you are too.

So how long does it take you on average to find the lost collar or injured/dead dog with just the beeper collars? Guess if it was real quickly why keep fooling with the Garmin that is so unreliable? I know Marshall makes a pretty compact receiver and the Marshall collars are the best of what I had experience with 8 years ago.

Wicker's Beagles

Post by Wicker's Beagles »

It does take much more skill by the operator to properly use a Beep Beep, one has to know how to decipher the signal & triangulate to pin point a collar way off in the distance from you, I'm talking a couple miles Not Yards through wilderness with no roads through National Forest Lands.

All of my Beep Beep collars will still produce a signal weeks after your Garmin collar has given up, dead, and is completely useless.

As far as quickness in locating a dog, it all depends on how long the dog has been gone and where it went, if it has been lost for a day or two and has been running off game through a wilderness area or has been treed really deep all night and has layed down because its to tired to walk out, the beep beep will find them, the Garmin at this point of your hunt is an expensive worthless piece of junk.....

It's all about reliability to me, Many don't understand that Garmin dog tracking units were developed for the bird dog people, their dogs don't travel like my Hounds do. Garmin's are great for close hunting dogs that stay within the sound of your voice, I'm sorry, but I don't want my hounds to do that. I never was one to jump rabbits for my beagles to chase or hunt over feeder buckets for my coondawg to get struck.... I'm old school, they gotta find game on their own to eat the dog food I purchase.

steve w

Post by steve w »

I get the situations your describing Pete and Wicker,not trying to argue or convert and I'm no salesman from Garmin either. I bought one after I had a pretty good dog get her ribs kicked in by horses and I did not get to her in time and lost her. This was after several episodes with antennas breaking with dogs deep in the cedar swamps gone for hours, and a coyote chase with dogs moving so fast I never could get ahead of them, no e-collars on any of them. The one dog that I could not find on that chase I ended up getting a phone call on later in the night, guy seen her by the side of the road crippled up, about 3 miles from where the chase started. I got her fixed but I wonder to this day if I could have seen her when I drove by trying to figure out where the weak signal was coming from.A broke antennae the reason. My point is Garmins are tools and they won't fit or fix everything, but just like the hounds we hunt we tailor our needs to what suits us and I like Hare Hunter find the Garmin working rather well. The mapping and ability to see where the dogs been you can never do with telemetry, and I find it hard to believe that to cut dogs off on a fast chase telemetry is of much value. Never worked good for me. My dogs need to find there own rabbit too, I expect them to do what it takes and they usually do, sometimes to the point they are heading for a road or property not intended. Kinda nice knowing sooner than later and with accuracy. Well as they say "nuff said" hope everyone does their way has fun and gets the hounds home safe.

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

why keep fooling with the Garmin that is so unreliable?

because i have a lot of money invested-- and hopefully they will get them fixed --they tell me nobody has had as many problems as ive had and they cant tell me why -- i dont have much trouble with full size alpha collars-

i send them the gpx files from collar and handheld everytime they quit---

yeah i agree about marshalls -- best ive used --sometimes too strong -lol no special batteries and warns u with red light when batteries getting low- ive only got one and it was dark green when i got it and its kinda pale blue now-- ,has seen some miles -
--
i agree with ya about maps-- the birdseye is even more accurate than maps when it comes to rivers and logging roads where im hunting-- not easy to see in the sunlight tho,lol - one collar to train and track - -- etc-- i love alpha when it works--
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

Chris

Post by Chris »

I often have scraped up legs from the TT15 minis I run. About 1 out of 3 have it, front leg cut up almost all the time. It seem like it's worse on the dogs that run more head down. Lots of snowy days have a dog with big, bright red bloody ice ball on the collar. Don't know what to do about it.n No real, viable solution that I can tell.

As far as reliability, it's been much better the past couple of years. Went through a stretch where I was pulling my hair out with the question mark on screen and wild long straight lines going all over the place. My strategy is to keep the 1 of 3 that I get that never have issues and trade in the rest and replace them with new ones. Half of the new ones seem to work perfectly and the other half give me the question mark a portion of the time and I just trade in to Outdoor Dog Supply and replace.
Chris

www.MillerOutdoors.com
www.Facebook.com/milleroutdoors1
www.YouTube.com/c/MillerOutdoors1
Instagram @milleroutdoors1
Twitter @milleroutdoors