Hot Spots

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Kirby49

Hot Spots

Post by Kirby49 »

I have a year old pup keeps getting hot spot what causes this what to do thanks for any Info

Mr. Bowman

Re: Hot Spots

Post by Mr. Bowman »

I also have a little over year old dog that's been getting hot spots, basically their allergic to something, allergies tend to show up at a year old. My vet told me that is more than typically something in the environment if it shows up on the back end and food if it shows up on the front end. I don't know how true that is because I've seen doges allergic too food and get them anywhere and mine showed up at the end of the month 2 months in a row after a food switch on the back end and has not happened since I changed to something else for 2 months now. That being said I have had dogs allergic to fleas and would get hot spots from it and my dogs hot spots now were at the end of the month when the flea medication would be wearing off so maybe that was it and not the food but basically its allergic to something

Kirby49

Post by Kirby49 »

Thanks for your input i also changed dog food its all been on the back end

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

If it's a true hot spot mix alittle sulfur power or sulfadene with burnt ( used ) motor oil and apply to the spots. Hot spots are due to a type of mite , allergies are a completely different issue. I've also heard guys using Ivermic wormer , squirt it on the spots ??
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

kimbro25

Post by kimbro25 »

Tea Tree Oil works very well & it's all natural

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

I use NUSTOCK has the sulfur various oils in it already is about $10 tube @ Tractor Supply various farm stores. Good for hot spots abrasions mange spots.

Mr. Bowman

Post by Mr. Bowman »

LR Patch wrote:If it's a true hot spot mix alittle sulfur power or sulfadene with burnt ( used ) motor oil and apply to the spots. Hot spots are due to a type of mite , allergies are a completely different issue. I've also heard guys using Ivermic wormer , squirt it on the spots ??

Allergies are not a completely different issue in fact the mage mites-mange spots you are talking about are just an allergic reaction. I have had dogs with mange and it looks different than just a hot spot but can appear similar at times to treat mange with ivomec just give .3 ml per 10 lbs every day for a month squirt down the mouth. Hot spots are caused by allergies to food, grass, pollen, fleas or any number of things and yes a dog that's allergic to mange mites can be allergic to other things as wel

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I agree that we will agree to disagree . I think your statement is right and wrong according to my vet. The main thing is to take care of the dog by all / any means possible .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"