Best way to get a dog to pack up

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Remmy

Best way to get a dog to pack up

Post by Remmy »

I have a friend with a young male about a year old. This hound has always been run by himself.

On his first attempt, he has zero desire to pack in and is almost frightened when my pack starts running. I understand he will take some patience.

Kenneling his and mine together is not a viable option as all of our hounds are house pets.

Any tips on speeding up the process?

Thanks.
Brian
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Re: Best way to get a dog to pack up

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

Just give it time. His desire to run should over ride his fears.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

Markday

Post by Markday »

What works best for me is only run him with one or two other dogs preferably a older slower dog that can run a rabbit pretty good he will learn to run with them usually don't take long if you stay consistent. I've had a couple that was real independent and was harder to get to pack up but when he figure's out that the other dog is running a rabbit he will start going to them and packing up.

RollingTrack

Post by RollingTrack »

run him with one dog that don't BS !! CUZ IF HE GOES TO THE DOG AND DONT AGREE WILL MAKE IT WORSE..BUT SHOULD PACK WELL WITH A HONEST MOUTH HOUND WITH IN A WEEK..GOOD LUCK :check:
ROLLING KENNELLS
-------HOME of-------
RILEYS ROLLING DIRTY GIRL
RILEYS ROLLING JAZZY J
RILEYS ROLLING MISS DIXIE

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

Thanks guys.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Mr. Rolling Tracks done said the Correct thing. good honest mouth, single running for a few days he will be ready for a couple more, that Loud Noise the Big Pack will often scare the your hound that has been running solo!!

I start many pup for customers and that is how we get them pups up to Pack and Harking in , the Great Music of the big Pack!!

Good Luck, and you will that pup picking up some checks, with that single running hound don't put an loose mouth, fast hound with the pup,, good Line Control !
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Good Luck, and you will that pup picking up some checks, with that single running hound don't put an loose mouth, fast hound with the pup,, good Line Control !
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
:nod:

Patience is key with young hounds, he'll be packing before you know it.

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

I have experienced this both ways. Several years ago I put two that only ran together for two years down with a pack of about 12 other dogs the first time they ever ran with any others. One of them was fine with it. The other disappeared for 3 days and after that he only would run well with my other one . If he got in a pack he was not familiar with he would bolt and run his own or sometimes run trash.

The dog I have now ran alone for almost 2 years and then I ran him with just a few solid dogs and after about the 3rd time out he began to hark in and run with the pack. Next time out with others he joined in and has been a real contributor ever since . Last time I had him out with a large pack he did great. Some other dogs joined in later and he did not run with them at first. Then after a while he got caught up in the chase and was back running with the whole pack again.

So I would say these guys know what they are talking about. Work him in with one or two good honest dogs and then once he figures that out, add a few at a time if you can.

Good Luck
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

You take a young lad that's been home-schooled, dribbling a ball & shooting without interference at the hoop on the barn wall,... then throw him in with a team that played ball together for the last few yrs and see how they react. Most all will be taken aback off the start, some will catch on quick, some will ease into it and some have a harder time.
Some will have become content to play on their own where they have the ball all the time and can shoot without interference or competition, they have become a little self-absorbed and selfish. Life at their own pace is what they prefer, they've never had to compete or cooperate with others.
Good luck with your home-schooled boy. jmho