Second Beagle?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rich

Second Beagle?

Post by Rich »

Hello All:
I am new to this board. I have a 4 year old femle "Lucy". She is a very happy little dog with a nice big back yard with a doggie door to go in and out when she wants. I have been considering gettting a second Beagle. I'm just not sure if I can go though the 1 year of training agony again. Is it any easier training a second Beagle? I figure that if they play together, It will help when the puppy is in overdrive. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Rich

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

your already on the downward spiral. it was just a few years ago i started with 1 above ground pen. and the next thing my wife knows, i have 6 above ground pens and 1 big chainlink run :shock: . seriously, i like to pair up the dogs. keeps them from "boredom barking" in the kennel and also makes them hussle a little more and be more competitive in the field.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

For starters, you need not get a puppy, which can help to avoid the training woes. There are beagles all over the place in rescues and shelters.

I think it's a lot easier training a second dog. Your first dog had to learn all of its manners from you, but the second dog will learn from you and your other dog.

I used to think that having two dogs was going to be twice the work of having one, but now that I have two, I wish I had two all along. And if I could talk my wife into letting me have a 3rd and a 4th...