Derby Trials awarding points toward Field Champion

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mybeagles

Derby Trials awarding points toward Field Champion

Post by mybeagles »

I was very surprised to read that AKC approved of allowing 1 win and 40 points be earned toward field champion title at federation derby trials. Looks like it was voted in to help out the dying brace clubs. I couldn't care less if guys want to keep brace beagles but I don't like the fact that AKC is watering things down for everyone just to keep a dying federation alive. Anyone else find this problematic?

Kudos to Heckley, Cable, and Bush for voting against that foolishness.

They also passed the Grand Field Champion title to be earned in Field Champion only trials. Curious to see how this plays out.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

hard on a check

Re: Derby Trials awarding points toward Field Champion

Post by hard on a check »

mybeagles wrote:They also passed the Grand Field Champion title to be earned in Field Champion only trials.
I like the idea of a Grand Field Champion.. :thumbsup:

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Midwest and NMHA don't run field champion only trials. Do you think that will change.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

I'm sure some clubs will eventually start having them,but maybe not..I just think it would be cool for Field Champions to compete against each other,most guys stop trialing their dogs after they finish, this would give them the opportunity to keep competing after they've earned their title.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I agree. It would be fun to judge a class of field champions. I suspect it will be slow to take off. I would much rather have the field champion trial and eliminate the derby (deer chase) trials with 5 entries. I would like to see them run on the same weekend with licensed trials. I realize thats a lot for a club to do in one weekend and having enough running grounds to do it would be critical.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

John Way

Post by John Way »

I believe that is Federation derby "Championship" trials only. Think we're only talking about a hanful of possible trials all yr that would conform. I haven't read the official release , but was passed this info back when being proposed. Of course ,Not fan of a more watered down system. To many trials already.
Have seen plenty of FC only trials. No different than a regular lic trial. Those great FC's still need proper conditioning to perform at that expected high level. They don't know their FC's. Ha. The hungry guys with the well maintained FC's shine.
NEBGF is hosting their FC only championship at York & Adams Beagle club Pa. The Friday before Y&A's regular lic Sept SPO trial. Was a Shamokin Beagle Club last yr. Decent entry. Good running. Nice classes

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I believe that is Federation derby "Championship" trials only.
I think your right John.....if the Brace trials gain a few entries as a result of this they will be pounding for more.

I like to see the "well oiled" FC's and would make it a point to judge or participate in such events. There certainly must be some who would like to keep running their FC's instead up laying them up in hopes of getting a couple breedings over the remainder of the dogs life. I would be shocked if there isn't a good group that will chase after the GFC title. There are plenty that run to Canada to get the IFC title. I have to believe the turn outs would be much higher if the clubs could pull off running them in conjunction with their licensed trials.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

talkabout-DLH

Post by talkabout-DLH »

If. you take a Derby to a lic. trial and it wins you have a good or special dog. You take a Derby to a Derby Run Off and it wins and the points you get goes towards a FC Title .That is WRONG. Say you run a DERBY in three or four lic. trials and it does not place in any of them. You take that same Derby, take it to the Derby Run Off and it wins it gets Lic. points ? Come on AKC and BAC you people need to get your acts together.That is a JOKE. Most Beaglers that hunt or field trial and breed dogs their goal is to make a better beagle.And over the years it shows today thats what we are doing. We want the Dogs to earn all their own accomplishments.NO HELP or GIFTS given thats what makes a FC. I cant understand why the BAC wants to put a Derby trial towards a FC title and I dont see how this could help any federation or club in any way. DONALD L HOOG

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Don,

Would you bring your FC's to a champion only trial to earn a GFC title?
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

There are only a few derby championships nationwide. Very few run in more than 2 in any given year. I would bet most hounds who win the championship go on to do pretty well in licensed trials.

Derby runoffs tend to have quite a few entries, often more than an average license trial.

IIRC there were 520 field champions finished last year. A half dozen derby championships wont change the dynamic much at all.

I doesnt matter to me one way or another. Im going to take my derby to some AAQ and licensed trials ths fall, eat breakfast and hope to still be there for lunch. Might even win a ribbon or 2.

Brian
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I like to see old hound compete in the field, shows they still got fire in the boiler and weren't a "flash in the pan" fc flame-out.
Health, longevity and never ending hunt desire for better hounds of tomorrow. jmho

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

There are no "flash in the pan" AKC field champions that I know of. Winning 3 licensed trials and accruing 120 points is no easy task and isn't done is a few short months. I only run Mid-West trials and used to occasionally make it to Stittsville and Cherryland LP trials so I can't intelligently comment on other association's field champs. With that said, I've yet to see a FC that couldn't run the hell out of a rabbit.

I always had the impression that derby trials where a way for club members and guests in a federation to compete their young hounds, not a means of accumulating a win and points towards their title. There have been several successful derby hounds that could not finish for their title or even place in licensed trials consistently. AKC should continue their standard regardless of federation. It's what makes an AKC champion special to me anyway. That's my $.02 if it's worth that.

Any means of extending the competition of field champions is good in my book. I know a lot of these folks with field champions would love the opportunity to compete them while they are still young enough to do so. There are also those perspective breeders looking for a stud and it would be a means of determining which field champ might suit their needs.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

However you want to paint it, field trial success is only a part to some of what evaluation is made for choice of a stallion. And I'll agree, three wins are better than the one that I remember.
I've seen a number of hunting hounds that develop to their peak and then decline whether it be mental, conformation issues, health or premature age, some just reach but can't hold it. I try to keep in mind the "total hound". Somehow being in a hurry with hounds is like my typing, many do-overs...lol
Thanks for your attempted belittling my post, I value you opinion highly also... ;)

RollingTrack

Post by RollingTrack »

when does this go in to effect?
ROLLING KENNELLS
-------HOME of-------
RILEYS ROLLING DIRTY GIRL
RILEYS ROLLING JAZZY J
RILEYS ROLLING MISS DIXIE

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

when does this go in to effect?
Are you going on the "FEDERATION DERBY CIRCUIT"...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
There are only a few derby championships nationwide. Very few run in more than 2 in any given year.
Fair argument, I see it as opening up the door for more. I also find it hard to believe thats going to have much impact on any Federation including Brace. Think of that logic......If I can't get points at the derby trials Im not attending licensed trials anymore...... :loser:
I like to see old hound compete in the field, shows they still got fire in the boiler and weren't a "flash in the pan" fc flame-out.
Health, longevity and never ending hunt desire for better hounds of tomorrow.
I like to see this as well. Ive had a couple young dogs that looking amazing for two years and either blew up or become very average. I always remember the ones that keep improving with age be it my dog or a friends dog. I would love to judge some FC only trials rather than the licensed trials with 70% derby hounds.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly