Fleas are really bad this year....

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Fleas are really bad this year....

Post by BCBeagles »

I don't know about you all, but I and many others I know have had constant issues with Fleas this year.

I have been at our homeplace now on 17 years and never had them on my hounds....maybe just lucky.

This year all the dogs have had them and chewed and scratched all summer. I have resorted to the treatments on the back of the dogs with good success and changed bedding and sprayed heavily today around the hounds and kennels. Hoping it doesn't get worse...but lessens some.

Good luck if you all are battling the same thing as we are!

Casey Harner

Re: Fleas are really bad this year....

Post by Casey Harner »

Blue or purple Python tags are the way to go. Never have had issues with fleas or ticks.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

May have to go with those Casey, but a good friend does use them and still has issues.....really high humidity makes for an ideal breeding climate for fleas it seems....

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Jim
Don't know about those WV fleas but here in PA we swear by Creolin. 4 tablespoons per gallon and mix enough to submerge them hounds in a trash can full of Creolin-warm water mixture. That will kill the adult fleas and the flea larvae, then I take the leftover mixture and spray down the inside and outside of kennels. We use Creolin for most everything kennel/dog related, fleas, flies, disinfectant, and odor eliminator. Makes those coats nice and soft with a shine too.

Good luck!
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Bruce, I see where your hounds have Slowed, Way Down, if they have fleas, get yourself some Faster Hounds !! LOL yep just kidding around with you Pal. Your correct its been a bad year I have most of my hounds on Concrete and they don't have them,, but my starting pens with my young hounds get them bad, I been using this Adams Spray in the Blue sprayers, it mighty good and alcohol based easy, to spray the pups, before I put them back in kennels been working out fine for me.

How did the Red Tick Female turn out ?

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Newt

Post by Newt »

If you bring in hounds from other kennels, the flea problem is a constant.
I once used "sevin" dust and had no problems. The fleas built up immunity to "sevin" dust.
I used the purple python tags for the first time and it kept the ticks off all summer.
The last several years I've used "Bayer Tree and Shrub" for fleas. It works.
I pour the liquid into a spray bottle and make a couple streaks down their back every couple weeks until the fleas are gone. It takes a while to break the cycle but eventually the fleas are gone.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thank you.

I have had a couple hounds out being conditioned this summer....I am sure that makes a difference...but the dogs here had them before those dogs came back.

Just haven't had to battle them before.....appreciate the information.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Bayer Tree and Shrub worked well, before the Company found out we were using it for the Fleas, and They, the Bayer Co, changed the ingredient in the old Type that had the same chemical as there, High Price, fleas medication. Now the tree & shrub is Green, in color and it does not have the same chemical, just check the new stuff out, I been finding some of the old stuff at Jockey lots etc. around and buy it when I can find it, It was mighty good !! It was Not green but a milky looking clear liquid, type.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Markday

Post by Markday »

I've been using 1 1/2cc of Termidor for ticks and 1/2cc of precor for flees ain't had a problem with either one

tdog

Post by tdog »

I used the bayer tree and shrub also. Great stuff. The active ingredient is the same but the green also adds plant food. The green still works great for fleas but you will have a bit of discoloration where you apply it..

Little Hawk

Post by Little Hawk »

I use the same stuff as Markday Termidor SC and Precor have for a few years now works good on my dogs no fleas or ticks.

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Post by CASKEY'S KENNEL »

If you you have red ants around the Kennel don't kill them . I was told that they eat flea eggs.
"WHERE THE DOGS DO THE TALKING"
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900
BEAVERCREEK Karma KIckaz sister
HUNT-EM-UP BLAZER'S MARGRET. 5 AKC FC
IFC BANGOR'S BARKIN BLUE ELVIS 4 AKC FC

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

thank you all for the information....take care and good running to all!

Beaglemomma

Post by Beaglemomma »

I just had a friend tell me that put a teaspoon of vinegar to a gallon of water. The hounds drink it and supposedly it leaves an acid taste on the skin that the fleas don't like. I have washed, used vinegars flea drops, sprays even Seven dust. Nothing has worked. I forgot about the cow tags 9n their collars, thanks. Since they sleep with me I don't want the fleas. Thank you.

HBmudbug

Post by HBmudbug »

seresto collors last for 8 months