AKC Midwest S.P.O

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ohlinger

AKC Midwest S.P.O

Post by ohlinger »

I've never ran an a.k.c trial. can you guys break it down for me ? I ran alot of ukc HH & PP and little pack. I enjoy them and i enjoy the style of hounds that do well in them. I prefer 15inch dogs a good solid 15. I like an edgy hound. This isn't phishing to stir a pot or to rattle cages. I've seen topfuel chester got a good look at him at a u.k.c large pack hunt for about 4 1/2-5hrs super nice hound and my style of dog. He did'nt in my opinion seem overly conservative or anything, but any time i talk to people about A.K.C they word "clean" always comes into play. "Clean" is a scary word for me LOL. I like a dog with drive and brains. Not "nose" brains which is another topic lol. Brains on how to run a rabbit and adust to daily situations. I've also judged some a.k.c fc in ukc pp. some were my style some were too conservative, but I did really like the Chester dog. Is a hard hitting male doing well in 15inch class or no ? Most of the u.k.c large packs i've ran were judged by a.k.c judges. LOL i'm sure this will get rocky, and I won't know till i actually attend one, just asking for an idea of what to expect. Also what formats are similar to midwest s.p.o as I'm not accustomed to all these different federations etc...
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

mybeagles

Re: AKC Midwest S.P.O

Post by mybeagles »

The biggest difference I have seen between little pack and midwest is what is allowed with swinging, skirting, and leaving the check area. In SPO these are faults, in little pack its an advantage.

Conditions, judges, and quality of entries greatly impacts what a midwest winners pack will look like.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

so does it take a fairly conservative hound ? or do different federations kind of promote something different as far as style is concerned ? or is it just show up and hope you did'nt show up for a brace trial ?

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I am NO expert...been to a few trials...enjoyed them very much.....Shawn your hounds would do fine.

Watched all classes on a few occasions....15's were rolling.....I mean moving out.....quick checks and gone with it.

I believe your perception will change of the AKC trials if you attend the Midwest format....JMO.

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

I've just heard so many different variations depending on who you talk to what they are looking for...figured there would be more input here...

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

North Central Ohio is one of the next ones....go with an open mind and a hound in shape and see what happens.

I do enjoy them....win or lose...get to see some nice dog work at times.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Just like AHRA and UKC have different formats for faster or slower hounds so does the AKC. AKC has been around longer so they have more formats. Brace is ridiculously slow, the two couple pack and southern SPO run a very conservative hound. UBGF in KY, OH, MI run a medium speed dog. Midwest runs a fast dog. Large Pack runs a very fast dog. There are variation within each association thats dictated by running conditions, the judges, and quality of entries. These same variables are present in Little pack as well. As Jim said, keep an open mind and go see for yourself. Some like it some don't, thats why we have so many associations and federations.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly