What am i looking for?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

windyridge

What am i looking for?

Post by windyridge »

with all theses different formats and state to state differences in running style I am finding it very hard to know where to look for the kind of dog I enjoy so I am asking for help. I want a dog that hits the brush and jumps their own rabbit, runs the rabbit at good speed but under control no swinging and over running the track 25yds. What bloodlines or format should I be after.thanks

Remmy

Re: What am i looking for?

Post by Remmy »

ARHA PP.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Mr. Remmy is correct, the Progressive Pack, looking for a Hunting Hound, that is Not Mouthy, and has good line control. I have not been active in these P.P. trials in many years due to my age, but when it was started up in the 9o's, if hounds did Not Hunt, they went on the clock and in 15. minutes said hounds was D.Q. for that day. If a hound Opens, for three (3) barks, its Struck in and if, it or another hound in that cast Don't Jump a rabbit in Three (3) minutes, the hound that was put on the clock he gets, a Minus -10 points. If a hounds get three (3) Minuses, in a cast he is D.Q. for that day.

I am sure the Rules has change a lots in all these years, but back in its starting up, there was 13 things that a hounds could get a minus -10 points for and if they did, it was over for that day.

Back at the start once a hound got all it's points and required the two first place winds, that hound has to go before the Certification Committee, consisting of three (3) Licenses Judges and they take the hound out in the field, and let it hunt and find it's own rabbit has to run it for a circle and back to the judges where they fire a gun over the hound , to make sure it is Not Gun Shy. all this is done when under the clock, has a time limit.

D.R,~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Aubrey Holcombe

Heck, I fail to say When You hear the Gun Shoot, and the hound Keeps on Running, they announce Catch your Field Champion, as he Passed The Test !!
D.R.

windyridge

Post by windyridge »

ok thanks for the help, is there much difference in the little pack dogs and progressive pack?

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Yes.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

ukc pp
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

Aubrey Holcombe

I tried to run, My style of Gun Dog in the ARHA Little Pack, way back in the 1980's and these hound were mighty good Hunting and had all the Grit in a Gun Dog, but they did not pack up and have the Line control that I was wanting, but I did keep trying to run, their 15 Sec. Loss at a check was Killing my style of hound, so I went for a along time not being able to finish my hounds, as Field Champions,, I finally did Finish Out one little female, she was a 12" mabe 12.5 but could find a rabbit, in the drop of your hat, Now they Do Not have different classes in the ARHA, they run all the females and the males both 13" & 15' in the same cast? I suppose their thinking is when you load them up on Saturday morning for the Gun Hunts, that is how we Gun Hunt. Well back to my First and Only Little Pack Field Champion, she was the winner of the Georgia State Championship back in 1992,down in a Big Brier Patch in South, Ga.

The ARHA, Started up the Progressive Pack about that same time, so I never did run anymore Little pack. There is a lots of difference in the Style especially the Line control, and Like I said they have this 15 second Down time at a check ?

Keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

windyridge

Post by windyridge »

do many dogs run both progressive pack and little pack?