Scenario - open discussion

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JUDE

Scenario - open discussion

Post by JUDE »

Ok fellow beaglers I have a scenario for you.Please feel free to give your input.

Let's say you have owned and hunted your beagles for 30 years but had never been completely satisfied with your packs ability until now.You have hard hunt,line control,correct mouth,speed and the color as well as confirmation you have always desired.Heres the twist , you are now working 13 hours a day and haven't been able to enjoy those hounds in months.You don't see any change in sight.Do you keep holding on or let go of what many don't accomplish in a lifetime?
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Mhouse

Re: Scenario - open discussion

Post by Mhouse »

Hold on as long as you can!! Don't sell out wishing you had what you had!!
MEADOWWOOD'S BEAGLES

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Get down to your best 3 or 4, and pay someone to run them.
Alot of guys do this!

You'll be happy... and so will the dogs!!

LPB

Newt

Post by Newt »

Hang on, the Trump Train is coming. ;)

Seriously, I worked until retirement. During that time I worked a period of 7-12 hr days. I was always able to keep a couple of beagles no matter if I was living in a subdivision, and moving half way across the country.
Think how long it took to get what you like. Don't let them slip away.

513Moogie

Post by 513Moogie »

You'll feel like the ship has left port and you weren't on it. I've been down to one dog and just got liberated with pups. To add to what you have said I just feel my dogs have the instincts to control the hunt. They Know well what they are doing well. Kennel in the suburbs and chained to a doghouse if needed. Don't do it.

Hurricane Creek

Post by Hurricane Creek »

I assume you would, if it was possible, want to continue your line... In that situation, I would try to keep two breeding pairs of my best. Maybe a young male and female under 2 yrs, and another pair between 2-5 yrs old. A good pack of your four keepers should be enough for a nice run (when you can); provide back-up if something happens to one of the hounds (or the older set gest too old to breed), and provide the means to continue your line when future circumstances change. In any case they (and their genes) won't forget how to run a bunny even if you have to lay them up more than you like. But that's just me...

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

I only own 1 male and two females at this time.I really appreciate all of your input and support.Your post has really gotten me thinking about the situation.I want the best for my hounds even if it's not the best for me.These little hounds just give me so much enjoyment and I give them the very best of care.I have to ask myself ,am I being selfish but also have to wonder if they were elsewhere would they be as well cared for and appreciated.I'm not the type who quits something and just picks it back up when convenient,I know how rough this road can be. I'm not saying others don't love and care for theirs (I Know they Do) but I have seen a few kennels that are an embarrassment to our great sport.Once again I want to thank you all for posting.Love to hear your stories and your input.This is a tough crossroad.
Jude's Beagles

steve w

Post by steve w »

Your point on how they will be treated when not in your care is a big one, can you live with not really knowing easier than not really being able to run them? I would rather treat my dogs well at home then take a chance on sending them away from it, I know beagles need to hunt,but they are pretty good at being pets too and as long as they do more then sit in a kennel I would not hesitate to keep them until I could find the time to run again.Even the mule gets tired, ya can't work like that forever.

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

i think we all go through this at some point in time. i think the best thing to do is continue and run as much as possible. also if its possible and its that important to you get pups or dogs into the hands of your buddies or people you feel you can trust that you can go back to in the future. its a lot easier for three guys to keep five dogs each and work together than it is for one guy to keep 15.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Jude, I sold everything from dogs to trackers and now trying to get rid of the kennels. I'm working way to much, even the coyote dogs got to be sitting to much, all I was doing was feeding them, sending them for someone else to run is pointless they are for us to enjoy, why pay someone else to experience why we have them in the first place!! For me Work, kids sports, family ect. It became more of looking at them sitting in the kennel problem for me than it did wanting to keep them. During the winter I have a little more free time but I don't want dogs I can only run in the winter, by the time winter and hunting season are over is when they are getting fine tuned and rolling good, for me it was easy decision, when life opens back up for me then I will look at what time I have, do I miss my beagles and hounds oh yes I really do!! Hope this helps a little
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

pcable

Post by pcable »

Buddy, definitely keep your dogs! In my experience, you will have one or two dogs in your life that are exactly what you want! Then you will spend the rest of your life searching for another one or two just like them!
Make sure to keep your running/hunting pals in pups, so as to keep your bloodlines close!
I feel the same way right now. I can't run for the rattler's and copperheads here. It kills me to let them set in the kennel all summer but I'd rather lay them up than cover them with dirt! Like you I have worked long hours and understand your predicament, but I kept my dogs through it all and I'm glad I did. The bloodlines that I have now are getting hard to come by as close as mine are. I feel like I have the best dogs now that I've ever had. I haven't bred to a dog outside my kennel in a long time. I don't worry about trialing, just enjoy the dogs! They are more than tools to me and my family and as long as I'm able to care for them, there will be beagles here!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Thank you all for posting...I really appreciate your input.
Jude's Beagles

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

I've held on for over a year now.It doesnt look like my job is going to go away but is starting to demand even more of my time.They would actually prefer I take no time off and when I do get that day I wont choose dogs over family! If anyone can afford and would like to purchase a foundation pack that could last many generations, I have them.One Northway male and two females all red n white all AKC registered with papers in hand.Once the pack sells I will have a 3 collar t115 minis Garmin Alpha as well as seneca houses ect.I will not seperate the hounds,please dont ask.If not seriously interested please dont waste my or your time.I Dont need the money nor am I desperate to sell.I would want them to go to a top notch home only.
15 inch class with Hunt! Gun dog style no swinging or skirting. $4,000.00 for the pack.

Private message on here or text only to 606-471-0440 when I get time I will call you back.
Jude's Beagles

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

Do I read this Right? you want 4000. for 3 Dogs?