Hound is allergic to weeds and grass

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

huntersdinnertrain

Hound is allergic to weeds and grass

Post by huntersdinnertrain »

I have a year and a half old female that I think is allergic to weeds and grasses. Not good for a beagle .
When I run her she gets infections on her legs and feet she also loses hair on her chest and belly.
I give her Benadryl daily and use a medicated shampoo a couple of times a week. It helps some but it's still a problem.

Does anyone have suggestions that may help ?

Swampman

Re: Hound is allergic to weeds and grass

Post by Swampman »

I know a guy that had the same problem, her chest and front legs would loose hair and the skin looked sore and infected.
After testing, it was actually diagnosed as demodectic mange.
He tried several remedies for nearly a year before he gave up and had to put her down.
He would rest her and let the hair grow back and as soon as he ran her again it came back.
I believe he told me that 3 females in that litter all ended up with it and was told by his vet that it is due to mites and a weak immune system, is hereditary and is stressed induced.

PAB

Post by PAB »

Swampman sounds like he has the answer, ive seen the same thing happen in my kennel years ago. Rowdy may be in fact referring to me! I did put some dogs down for this problem. A dose of Ivermectin every week kept them looking healthy, but I figured they shouldn't be bred so I gave up on the constant hassle and put them down.

huntersdinnertrain

Swampman you described perfectly. If I put her up for a month or so and treat her it clears up but when I run her for any length of time it comes back.
I talked to the guy that I got her from as a pup and he said that at least one of the litter mates has the same issues.
I don't know if it's related but when I got her she had flees, ear mites and worms.

PAB

Post by PAB »

No its not related to fleas and worms. Its an immune system deficiency.

FrogsCrkBeagler55

Post by FrogsCrkBeagler55 »

I had one doing simaler thing. Tryed the shampoo and it didn't work. Try using Nu stock on the dog. I used it four times and the dog has had no problems in a year now. You can order nu stock online.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I have a friend that had this in some Branko bred hounds a couple years back ....... he tried everything his vet said. Ended up putting them down ?
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

huntersdinnertrain

Thanks for suggestions.
I've applied Nu Stock but only one application so far. I'll try it a few more times.

talkabout-DLH

Post by talkabout-DLH »

Call me 937 855 3147