best stud!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Cornett Kennels

best stud!!!!

Post by Cornett Kennels »

what is the best stud dog out there today?
Richard Cornett
Cornett Kennels
Home of:
LP RCH/LP BCH FAST & LOUD DOTTIE
Cornett's Priceless Sadie
Cornett's Big Time Spot

Hollarback Kennels

Re: best stud!!!!

Post by Hollarback Kennels »

I like Snoopy, but then again never forget about Scooby Doo. Cant go wrong with that blood in your kennel.

its not whats the best stud...its about how good is your female? Breed a crap female, and you will get crap pups. Everyone thinks that they can take an average or a below average female to a high rolling Stud dog and reproduce his accomplishments. It doesn't work!

As a potential breeder looking for a stud dog:
1. Whats your females abilities
2. whats your females strength and weaknesses
3. Whats her bloodlines (line breeding or outcross)
4. Do you have a plan for the pups?
How many are you keeping? How are you going to start them?

JMO
Last edited by Hollarback Kennels on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
FWR Shawdowed Acres Blue Bazo
Rock Ridge Shelby Blue
Reggie's Fast Holly
Cinnamon MTN Zebby
Cash Me Outside

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Well put Mr Hollerback. Find a male that complaments your females that also has strong points where ur female maybe has weekness . I'd really try to watch him run also do some pedigree research compare to the bitch's . JMHO and 2 cents worth !!
It's a crap shoot but u can improve the odds with some leg work .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Sounds like the "Flavor of the month" discussion. Run to what ever sells the best. As mentioned, a quality female is as important or more so.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Other than interesting conversation, I would never heed the advice of a best stud off a beagle board unless I knew the person well and believed they had the same or very similar tastes in beagles. Its not that anyone is right or wrong, just different perspective and looking for apples vs oranges.

Rather than best stud I tend to look at best kennel. Who is producing good ones every year. Couple names that come to mind are Ray Smalley (small kennel with 3-4 males). The 13" male classes I have judges his males were complete packages. Mike Manning in KY keeps quality studs with several top dogs to look at. Keith Weirs in WI has been raising some nice males. If your looking for a Large Pack dog, Joe Kuklenski in WI always has some powerful dogs.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Newt

Post by Newt »

Hare Chaser wrote:Sounds like the "Flavor of the month" discussion. Run to what ever sells the best. As mentioned, a quality female is as important or more so.
Yeah! The best stud depends on your bitch and what you intend to do with the pups.
You going to sell them, Trial them, or hunt em.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

WHAT !!!!! ? DO ... you mean theirs guys that breed their mediocre bitch's to the flavor of the month STUD just to sell pups for money ..... ?
What has this world come too . I that every dumb-ass knew theirs no money in raising pups !! Glad my ol inbred stock only has 3 or 4 per whelp ... I keep'm all and only breed a average of once ever 2 to 3 years as I need some up & comer's . If done properly it's a lot of work raising pups ... IMO , but what do I know I'm just and old rabbit hunter ( mostly just the music of the chase these days ) that enjoys and demands a best that I can produce rabbit hound that must do it right or like lead .

To my 1st comment I forgot to say and this isn't just to this guy whom IMO doesn't breed much or to any one that calls themselves a breeder and breeds to and for the betterment of the breed .... if you can't cull .... don't breed , buy a pup .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Come on guys; all this talk & all you have to type is IFC Cedar Beck Oliver.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Newt

Post by Newt »

WELLS WOODS wrote:Come on guys; all this talk & all you have to type is IFC Cedar Beck Oliver.
You got any Oliver pups for sale?

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

I'm sure he produces nice dogs but I'd never buy another. I got the cull of all culls
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

ericwaddle3 wrote:I'm sure he produces nice dogs but I'd never buy another. I got the cull of all culls
So it's all the stud dogs fault? No chance it could have been the female? Anybody who has been in hounds long knows there is NEVER a guarantee of what your going to get. Just because yours didn't turn out its no sign it was the stud dogs fault. I'm sure your disappointed and I would be too but as many good dogs as there seem to be from several different females and Oliver it is reasonable to believe he does his part in the stud pen.

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Like I said, I'm sure he produces nice dogs. But it isn't ever a sure thing. She can run a rabbit pretty nice, but is backwards as can be. That come from him? I don't know, but that's how mine is.
Hare Chaser wrote:
ericwaddle3 wrote:I'm sure he produces nice dogs but I'd never buy another. I got the cull of all culls
So it's all the stud dogs fault? No chance it could have been the female? Anybody who has been in hounds long knows there is NEVER a guarantee of what your going to get. Just because yours didn't turn out its no sign it was the stud dogs fault. I'm sure your disappointed and I would be too but as many good dogs as there seem to be from several different females and Oliver it is reasonable to believe he does his part in the stud pen.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Cornett Kennels

Post by Cornett Kennels »

LR Patch wrote:WHAT !!!!! ? DO ... you mean theirs guys that breed their mediocre bitch's to the flavor of the month STUD just to sell pups for money ..... ?
What has this world come too . I that every dumb-ass knew theirs no money in raising pups !! Glad my ol inbred stock only has 3 or 4 per whelp ... I keep'm all and only breed a average of once ever 2 to 3 years as I need some up & comer's . If done properly it's a lot of work raising pups ... IMO , but what do I know I'm just and old rabbit hunter ( mostly just the music of the chase these days ) that enjoys and demands a best that I can produce rabbit hound that must do it right or like lead .

To my 1st comment I forgot to say and this isn't just to this guy whom IMO doesn't breed much or to any one that calls themselves a breeder and breeds to and for the betterment of the breed .... if you can't cull .... don't breed , buy a pup .

I was just trying to start a topic to see what everyone's opinion on stud dogs are and no I don't breed to sell pups. I keep most of my pups and start them all and keep the best ones. Just figured I would let you know that.......
Richard Cornett
Cornett Kennels
Home of:
LP RCH/LP BCH FAST & LOUD DOTTIE
Cornett's Priceless Sadie
Cornett's Big Time Spot

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Even the best of studs can produce a dud once in awhile. And it certainly is a 50 / 50 proposition. I never did see Oliver run, however I've seen dogs out of the same cross as him, his ancestors behind him - they were very, very good hounds. He's got a strong family of dogs behind him for sure. Speaking of dogs producing - FC Wilson's Izzo is quickly making a name for himself, and still a fairly young dog.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Its not the stud dog. Its folks not knowing what type dog they are breeding, or not caring. Dogs are bred for a purpose. Take Oliver, I don't know one thing about the dog but, I suppose he produces good field trial quality hounds when bred to a certain type bitch. Breed him to a different style hounds and you don't know what you are going to get.
People are quick to blame every bad litter on the bitch. Its probably not the bitch its a combination of breeding different style dogs and expecting something great. It doesn't work and immediately its stud dogs fault in the eyes of the bitch's owner and the bitch's fault in the opinion of the Stud owner.
When in fact its the breeders fault for not doing his homework. Both the stud owner and the bitch owner.