I'm loving it!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

I'm loving it!

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Spent all of last week with my good friend Dan Lea hunting out of his camp in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.
We had a ball and had no problem jumping hare.
Mornings the running was pedal to the metal and several runs that went close to the 1 1/2-2 hour mark.
Afternoons the running slowed down and got a little picky but the dogs still showed out and kept him circling.
We had to contend with a lot of wind several of the days which sometimes made it tough to hear but didn't seem to affect the dog's ability to drive their hare.
I shot several which we had for dinner and Dan recorded several hours of the hunts with good footage of both hare and dogs.

Spending this week hunting up in northern New Hampshire with good friend Bob Ferranti and his son Ryan.
Got a cabin rented a few miles from the Canadian border and we've been flat burning them up!
Hunting some spots that we've been hunting for the past 25 years and found a couple new spots that held several hare.
Temps.running in the 30's in the morning and upper 40's -mid 50's during the day.Beautiful running weather!
Been hunting Maine a lot for the past ten years and always found a lot of hare over there but I'd say the hare population must be up this year in the north country as we've had no problems jumping plenty in Vt. and N.H.
Our running this week has been fast and furious with numerous runs lasting 1-2 hours and covering 3-4 miles before taking the hare.
And don't let anyone tell you that snowshoe hare aren't good eating.
We had taken some hare for the pot and Ryan made a stew in the crockpot that cooked on slow all day while we hunted and it was superb!
Boned out hare,onion,carrots,red potatos,butternut squash,tomato paste,beef broth and seasoning.Even folks that don't like wild game would have liked this!
Moose season has been open in both VT. and N.H. this week.
Saw a huge bull being checked in.I didn't count the points, but the spread of his rack was probably close to five feet across and he weighed in at 763 lbs. dressed weight.He completely filled the back of the 2500 Ford pick-up he was in and then some.
Got a couple more days of chasing these hare around and then headed back to Tennessee.Will try and post some pics. then.
Been coon hunting and following beagles with both Dan and Bob for over 30 years and friends don't get any better than these two.
Thanks guys for your friendship and hospitality.
Dana
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: I'm loving it!

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Excellent Report, SGB glad you boys having a mighty good time, sure did enjoy the Up date.

I always wanted to get up there and run those Big White Snow Shoes, but now that I am Over Hill, still love to read about you all hunt, will be looking to see some photo's.

Have a safe return trip to Tenn.

Yours In sports,
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Here's a clip from 2 weeks ago when Shady Grove was here hunting with me for a few days. His TN hounds are a tough bunch that have a ton of bottom to them. I've hunted with Dana for over 30 yrs with coon hounds first and for the last 20 plus with beagles. He will ALWAYS put down hounds that more than hold their own and yours better be in shape.

Good man and great friend!

https://youtu.be/5tL2bJ3tN9U

Few more clips to come. Just takes some time to get them ready to post.

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

Good clip. Dogs were packed up real nice when they crossed the trail.

Shady Grove Beagles

Here are a couple of pictures of my hare hunting trip to Northern Vermont and Northern New Hampshire. The young dogs really impressed us both. Fly is 20 months old and this was her first outing on hare. Gator and Bella are around 17 months old and this was the first hare shot in front of them.
Breeding is showing out --- Fly is out of FT.CH.Threejay's Jacks' Fly Man X Shady Grove's TN. High Test.
Dan's Bella is out of Palin's Pine Run Hootch X Plover River Molly and Gator is out of Wilson's Izzo X Green Bay Blue Bay.
Attachments
Dana AKA Shady Grove with a Vermont hare after an hour plus race.
Dana AKA Shady Grove with a Vermont hare after an hour plus race.
DSC01968 (676 x 507).jpg (164.56 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Dana Robinson and Ryan Ferranti with Shady Grove's Fly Girl and a long running New Hampshire hare.
Dana Robinson and Ryan Ferranti with Shady Grove's Fly Girl and a long running New Hampshire hare.
DSC02006 (507 x 676).jpg (142.87 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Dan Lea with Bella and Gator - a couple of nice young hounds.
Dan Lea with Bella and Gator - a couple of nice young hounds.
DSC01980 (676 x 507).jpg (156.14 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Excelent vidio, seemed like I was right there with you. Can't wait for my first hare hunt, thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Shady Grove Beagles

I WAS LOVING IT !!
Now I'm back here in Tennessee where we are setting records of 84 degrees on November 1 and it hasn't rained in like the past month and drought conditions getting critical.
Took the roadster for a ride in the mountains today and there were a bunch of bear hunters up there trying to run bear but not having much luck.Talked with several of them and they said it's so dry they're having trouble just getting a strike.
Not fairing much better with the beagles.We need rain badly !
Guess I'll have to watch Harechaser's video and remember when we were pounding !