Satsuma vs patch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

snellingsbeagles

Satsuma vs patch

Post by snellingsbeagles »

both lemon and white both fast anyone have experience with both

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Satsuma vs patch

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

The first time I met Mel Faust he was showing me around his kennels at his place in Amite,Louisiana and we were talking about his Satsuma hounds.
I innocently asked if they were Patch breeding [because of their coloring].Mel gave me a funny look and said"the only thing my hounds and Patch hounds have in common IS the color !"
Mel is not a fan.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Tim G

Post by Tim G »

Yes I have owned both satsuma for me

snellingsbeagles

Post by snellingsbeagles »

are Satsuma cleaner or something? any out standing differences

Tim G

Post by Tim G »

The patch dogs I have owned and seen around Mississippi were better deer dogs than rabbit dogs but that's just my experience I know they are some good patch dogs out there. But clean depends on what u like imo.the slower a dog runs the cleaner it is then again just my opinion satsumas can roll on pretty good

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Mine dont have any Patch or Satsuma and they are red n white...If you are referring to color several bloodlines have this color.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Newt

Post by Newt »

I remember going to a Small Pack Option Trail in North Alabama, back in the late 80s early 90s. I remember a lemon and white Satsuma male entered in the thirteen inch class. I entered a male, Hickory Ridge Andy, that was Northwoods bred. He had placed third in a LPH Trial at Upper Hudson the year prior.
As the pack was running there was a long check and when it was solved the Satsuma dog jumped another rabbit. I remember paying attention because that was the first Satsuma dog that I had seen. I was impressed. I ilstened as he circled his rabbit almost check free, but got no score. I remember Boggy Hollow Buddie won the Trial and Andy got NBQ. I often thought if Satsuma hadn't split, Andy probably wouldn't have gotten NBQ.

To me the trial was interesting because it showed that LPH style hounds that comped on hare could compete, back then, in Deep South SPO Trials.

Tim G

Post by Tim G »

Yea your right for back then now you will get picked up before your snap gets closed good lol

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

1st I own Patch hounds .... but you want ever here me say their the best hounds bred ever . Theirs good and bad in all beagle strains run what you like , preferable .... well for me the less faults the better . But always remember they all have fault !
Lemon & White does not make a patch hound , a lot are but they are also tri-color , liver and a wide range of tan , brown varance I guess of lemon . I don't know Mel or ever saw a Satsuma hound that I know to have been one run . Been looking through all my pedigree's cause seems I saw one of some Satsuma dogs the had some patch blood in them .... thinking it was a Patch hound called Poision Pete Patch , maybe wrong and maybe Mel didn't make that cross ... I have no ideal . Like the Patch I've heard good and bad too .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Newt

Post by Newt »

I believe the Satsuma line was started from a Green Mountain, the late Clarence Ward's Kennel. Maybe Green Mountain Jericho.

Tim G

Post by Tim G »

That's right newt and Champlain Bucky could be wrong on Bucky and I bet the dog in Alabama that day was satsuma did Mel said he was the best beagle ever to live in fact he has him buried in front of his kennel with a tomb stone that's says the same thing

Tim G

Post by Tim G »

Meant to say satsuma sid