mousetrap

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

emt-p

mousetrap

Post by emt-p »

I read recently about putting deer scent on a scent pad and putting it on a mousetrap for puppies. A couple of questions about this. A) has anyone heard of it. B) does it work and C) what age should you do it at. Thanks in advance. Ben.

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

I've heard of it before. Rod Place from Michigan came up with the idea, and it was in a article in a Outdoor Life magazine a while back. I have done it to a few pups and while I can't say if it works or not, none of them have chased a deer yet. In the article he says to do it sometime in the 9th to 11th week, when the pups are most impressionable.

snowshoehareguide

mouse trap

Post by snowshoehareguide »

if i was going to do this id try to get a fresh metatarsal gland from a rd killed deer. i think you can even buy them now. i wouldnt rely on deer scent and i might consider an electric fence deal hitch deer gland up to electic fencer. puppies this young id think itd be more productive and less of a hassle to just walk them over a fresh deer track and roll them around on it or pick them up and give them a shake or just whip them with a switch. same time you can get them used to woods alittle. everybodies got so paranoid about training dogs without abusing them. some of this is good but it is going way too far. a beagle is a hound and you can give him a serious thrashing and he will forgive you for it. a dog is not a child, and a hound is not a sensitive creature . teach your dog that you are the boss. im not saying mouse trap thing wont help a little just not sure its nessescary . spend your time where it will do the most good. and show them pups alot of deer not just one. i guarantee i can break any dog from running one deer its the other ten million deer thats the problem every deer smells different thats the draw back of using scent or glands to trash break dogs. all i can say for sure is i havent run a deer in 5 years ive never used any mouse traps ,scents , electric fencers etc, i did have some dogs run some deer 5-6 years ago and broke them real quick with a shock collar. one of those dogs was 8 years old when she ran her first deer. so guys that claim to be breeding deer proof hounds i hear about. if your hound is still alive you better say it hasnt run a deer yet . not that it never will. i run shock collars on my dogs most the time. when i ay come here they had better . i use the lower settings on the new shock collars , shock them when their running hae if they womnt come to me. now be very care ful with this but its a great feeling to know you can call your dogs out anytime and some i just push warning buzzer and thy come back with tail wagging . this is a great tool. pete